1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News US Air Force buys 2200 PlayStation 3s

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Nov 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

How come they use PS3's for computing arrays? Hope somebody can explain in which aspect a PS3 is better than the latest and fastest GPU's with CUDA and Physix?
    Thaks

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Warhawk counts as research, right?

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Imagine all the good that they could (but will not) be doing if they used all that power for Folding and not war mongering.

5. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I'm actually all for this - firstly, it's got to be cheaper than proper supercomputer arrays, secondly, maybe the US will stick to Modern Warfare 2 rather than Gulf Warfare 2 next time and thirdly, it helps very slightly with the PS3's disappointing sales. Plus if they'd bought Wiis they'd be laughed at.

I know it's not a PS3 game, but imagine how tense a good game of DEFCON would be in the War Room!

6. fodder

fodder Minimodder

Classic decision by committee. IBM have announced that the cell processor tech is an 'evolutionary dead end'. Maybe in 5 years or so they will decide GPU processors are the way to go...

7. scawp

scawp What's a Dremel?

"2200 new PlayStation 3s"

Thats going to be a waste of money then seen as the new slim ps3's don't support 3rd party OS'es

8. cowtc

cowtc What's a Dremel?

Their probably learning new things or using examples from Modern Warfare 2

9. RedDethX

RedDethX What's a Dremel?

I believe a PS3 gives more flops per watt than a video card, also, I'm thinking if they're not for gaming, they'd have to be the old fat ones to support Linux. Kind of strange o_O

10. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

PS3s are better in some areas, and does draw lesser power.

And they take up lesser space.

11. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

......and cost less than Nvidia Tesla / Cuda / Whatevertheycall it setups.

12. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

But cost are not an issue to defence and governemt projects. They use SSD on their systems.....
    I'm still not convinced... either I'm wrong or times have changed and governments ARE actually capped by a budget

13. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

cost would be one

yes, I know..... to me this seems silly, but the US is never known for intelligent ideas

if the US Air Force is going all eco on us, does that mean missiles and nukes are going to be filled with pot pourri now :confused:

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You, sir, win at the Internet.

15. identikit

identikit Minimodder

When will Sony and IBM team up and release a dedicated system that is simply designed for crunching numbers? I guess you could fit two motherboards and psus into a 1u chassis with a bit of squeezing.

16. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Probably not doing Sony any favours really, how much money does Sony make/loose on each console? Its not like the Air Force are going to be buying any games for these consoles we all know they are being used to run a second Star Gate.

17. StevieC

StevieC Rising Fusion

You mean, like this?

(It is now discontinued, btw)

18. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

Very modular, easy to swap out nodes as and when. No need to keep a massive stock of spare boards, dimms etc.

If you want to build a supercomputer you want each node to be as fast as possible while being as architectually simple as possible. An i7 + SLI + CUDA solution (for example) will no doubt be great but is based on tech designed to be compatible and expandible. A console is just plug and play

19. gurboura

gurboura TopLevel Computers

They've had an existing array, they also didn't mention if they had bought the Slim PS3s or the regular PS3s. Being a government agency and buying so many, they had a say in which version of the PS3 they bought.

20. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

Well does anyone really expect the gov to spend money in efficient ways. :wallbash:

What is funny is that they actually cost Sony a bunch of money because they are not going to buy any games rofl

Tags: Add Tags