bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 26th Nov 2009, 17:52   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Valve doesn't care about Steamworks boycotts

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...orks-boycott/1

Valve has responded to the boycott other digital distributors have announced on Steamworks games.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2009, 18:15   #2
Unknownsock
Supermodder

Unknownsock has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Steam need some competition, to keep there prices down and to keep them at bay of becoming to big for their own boots..
But ofc only time will tell.
Unknownsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2009, 18:23   #3
D-Cyph3r
Gay for Yunosuke

D-Cyph3r has yet to learn the way of the DremelD-Cyph3r has yet to learn the way of the DremelD-Cyph3r has yet to learn the way of the DremelD-Cyph3r has yet to learn the way of the DremelD-Cyph3r has yet to learn the way of the DremelD-Cyph3r has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsock View Post
Steam need some competition, to keep there prices down
*cough*1 day offers*cough*
D-Cyph3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2009, 18:52   #4
Hypno
Modder

Hypno has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Tbh even if the other companies caught up with Steam I would still use it.
Hypno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2009, 18:55   #5
Centy-face
Caw?

Centy-face has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Valve has no real say in the prices of anything bar their own games the publisher or developer picks the selling price.

The one day offers on right now are just yet another example of why steam is so popular. Frankly anyone who says steam is underhanded or whatever is just spouting sour grapes that people want, yes want we are not forced, to use steam. I love most everything about the service and happily buy games from steam. I don't even look at D2D or Impulse at all.

Steamworks is helping bring PC gaming to a fuller platform with better integration bringing a more unified free platform and I for one am happy to support it.
Centy-face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2009, 19:01   #6
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
At first, yes. I would have agreed wholeheartedly that Steam was a pain in the ass and blah blah blah.

However, now having lived with it installed (Thanks to it being required for some of my hardcopy games, and having bought some of the HL2 stuff for use of the Hammer Editor), I honestly don't see what the big deal is anymore.

It usually stays sat in the system tray being quiet, only cropping up when it wants an update, or a game wants an update. Frankly, while I won't be replacing hardcopies with it, I don't care that it's required. It's not like it's a system drain, nor does it get in the way. Same goes for GFWL. Never had an issue with that, either. Never bought anything off it, but redeemed multiple "free" bonus things for DoWII.
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2009, 19:33   #7
[PUNK] crompers
Dremedial

[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
the sooner most of the industry uses steam, the better. lets face no one else has exactly succeeded with the digital distribution channel on PC (when you take into account social options that steam offers) on the same level.

i agree with Gabe, should they suffer because no-one else has managed to do it as well? i dont think so. also with the networking options that Xbox live gives you without Steam there would be no rival service on PC, which would be a big step down for us imo.

long live steam and valve because tbh if either of them go out of business pc gaming is dead in the water
| Main Rig | TJ07B-W | 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Sabertooth Z77 | 8GB Corsair Vengance | EVGA FTW 670 @ 1305Mhz | Samsung 830 128GB |1TB Samsung F3 | EK Supremacy CSQ | EK FC680 CSQ | Corsair HX650W | U2711 | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless | Xonar Essence STX | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm |
| HTPC | Lian Li Q11-B | AMD A10 5800k | ASRock FM2A75M-ITX | 8GB XMS3 2000 | 1TB Seagate | SFX 350W |
[PUNK] crompers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2009, 19:50   #8
Shadowed_fury
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Shadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
<3 steam.
Shadowed_fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2009, 20:00   #9
Star*Dagger
Pan-Galactic Revolutionary

Star*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for president
In the beginning there was the Word, and the Word was with Gabe, and the Word was Steam!
Star*Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2009, 20:13   #10
mrbens
Supermodder

mrbens has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think Steam is great. I used to always pirate all my games (one cos i don't have much money and second because i hate having to find a dvd and have it in the drive to play a game that is fully installed on to my hard drive anyway,) but now i regularly take advantage of the weekend deals.

The only problem I have with steam is quite a lot of the games are cheaper to buy from places such as play.com but then I'd be back to the old problem of needing to have the dvd to hand or using a nodvd crack anyway so i don't buy those ones.
My SilverStone TJ07B PC: Haswell i5 4670K | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming mobo | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr 2GB | Seasonic X-Series 750W PSU | Crucial M4 128GB SSD | Crucial M225 128GB SSD | OCZ Solid 3 120GB SSD
Sound: Epiphany Acoustics' E-DAC & O2 Heahphone Amp | Little Dot MK III Tube Headphone Amp | Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 600ohm Headphones (music) | Onkyo HT-S3305B AV Receiver + 5.1 speakers (movies)
mrbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2009, 20:35   #11
mrbens
Supermodder

mrbens has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Also, second problem with Steam is not being able to chose which hard drive to install each game you buy on. I have Steam installed on my SSD but like to install most of my games on to an F3 as they load fast enough off that and the SSD is only 128GB.
My SilverStone TJ07B PC: Haswell i5 4670K | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming mobo | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr 2GB | Seasonic X-Series 750W PSU | Crucial M4 128GB SSD | Crucial M225 128GB SSD | OCZ Solid 3 120GB SSD
Sound: Epiphany Acoustics' E-DAC & O2 Heahphone Amp | Little Dot MK III Tube Headphone Amp | Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 600ohm Headphones (music) | Onkyo HT-S3305B AV Receiver + 5.1 speakers (movies)
mrbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2009, 20:42   #12
digitaldave
Multimodder

digitaldave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i love steam too but since moving to mac im now confined to urban terror (which is actually great fun and free!)

bring steam to mac and see me booted for cheatz hackz and all that even though im jus leet, innit
digitaldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2009, 20:43   #13
dicobalt
Multimodder

dicobalt has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbens
Also, second problem with Steam is not being able to chose which hard drive to install each game you buy on. I have Steam installed on my SSD but like to install most of my games on to an F3 as they load fast enough off that and the SSD is only 128GB.
Install the game then move it to where you want and use this command to make a directory link:

mklink /D X:\destination_directory C:\source_directory
dicobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2009, 20:50   #14
Tokukachi
Multimodder

Tokukachi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centy-face
Valve has no real say in the prices of anything bar their own games the publisher or developer picks the selling price.
How come publishers/developers are allowed to do this on digital distribution? if they tried that at realail you'd be hearing OFT investigation quicker than you could say price fixing.

Maybe the EU need to have a look at this, I notice the say thing is done with MP3's etc.
Tokukachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2009, 21:00   #15
dyzophoria
Supermodder

dyzophoria has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
honestly i dont see any problem with steam either, its just sitting quitely in my system tray,lol
Old 26th Nov 2009, 21:21   #16
heavyglow
"MEDIC!"

heavyglow has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neat69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centy-face
How come publishers/developers are allowed to do this on digital distribution? if they tried that at realail you'd be hearing OFT investigation quicker than you could say price fixing.

Maybe the EU need to have a look at this, I notice the say thing is done with MP3's etc.
what are you talking about, of course publishers pick the price for retail
heavyglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2009, 21:26   #17
Tokukachi
Multimodder

Tokukachi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Publishers Set a R.R.P., the retailer can chose any price he wishes.
Tokukachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2009, 21:38   #18
Farting Bob
Supermodder

Farting Bob has yet to learn the way of the DremelFarting Bob has yet to learn the way of the DremelFarting Bob has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyglow
what are you talking about, of course publishers pick the price for retail
Yea the retailers buy the game at X price and are given a suggested price, but are free to sell it at any price they want. Could sell CODMW2 for 5, but they'd lose money on every sale. Could also sell it at 100 but they will be lucky to shift more than 1 copy a day.
Farting Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2009, 22:12   #19
Matticus

Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.
Meh, if there systems were worth using they would be used. People these days just seem to piss and moan about everything that doesn't go their way, if they put half as much effort into developing their platform as they did whining about steam then maybe they would be a viable choice for gamers.

Also of course valve are going to use their own distribution system on l4d2, it would be ridiculous not to.
Old 26th Nov 2009, 23:06   #20
Initialised
Multimodder

Initialised has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Steam needs HD Movies to own at 50-75% Blu-Ray or rent like PSN to penetrate the PC market beyond gaming before reeling them in with cloud based gaming services. Also it's DRM model has worked (how many pirates can play L4D2 online) and is largely accepted by the PC gaming community so it makes sense for developers to consider Steam as a requirement.