bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Recreation > Gaming

Old 24th Feb 2010, 11:38   #481
Sutters
Silent lurker!

Sutters has yet to learn the way of the DremelSutters has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc8788 View Post
In other news, a beta Steam UI update was just released - get it now, it looks awesome:

http://store.steampowered.com/uiupdate/

The best bit (apart from the addition of a clock to the overlay) is that it now seems to use a Webkit based browser instead of IE. The in-game browser is finally usable!

EDIT: Don't get it if you want to play MW2 any time soon, as it forces you to re-download the whole of the multiplayer portion of the game again.
Thanks for the heads up on this.
Steam was playing silly buggers for me last night so this is no doubt why!
Sutters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2010, 12:04   #482
hugo60
Multimodder

hugo60 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhugo60 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhugo60 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhugo60 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhugo60 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhugo60 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc8788 View Post
In other news, a beta Steam UI update was just released - get it now, it looks awesome:

http://store.steampowered.com/uiupdate/

The best bit (apart from the addition of a clock to the overlay) is that it now seems to use a Webkit based browser instead of IE. The in-game browser is finally usable!

EDIT: Don't get it if you want to play MW2 any time soon, as it forces you to re-download the whole of the multiplayer portion of the game again.
I was just thinking steam is due a UI update a few days ago, not sure i want to download it yet though as i'll likely have to reinstall some games, cheers for the info.
hugo60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2010, 12:41   #483
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo60 View Post
... not sure i want to download it yet though as i'll likely have to reinstall some games ...
Old 25th Feb 2010, 18:33   #484
erratum1
Needs a new avatar !

erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
I was just thinking steam is due a UI update a few days ago, not sure i want to download it yet though as i'll likely have to reinstall some games, cheers for the info.
I was also thinking steam looks a bit 'xp', i mean even fraps has had a facelift. But i'll wait for the proper version, heard the beta is buggy.
erratum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2010, 21:57   #485
AshT
Custom User Title

AshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Weekend Deal

Spellforce - Platinum Edition, 75% OFF, 3.37
- includes: The Order Of Dawn, Shadow Of The Phoenix, Breath Of Winter

Spellforce 2: Gold Edition, 75% OFF, 6.25
- includes: Shadow Wars, Dragon Storm

Or, Spellforce 2 separates:

Spellforce 2: Shadow Wars, 75% OFF, 3.49
Spellforce 2: Dragon Storm, 75% OFF, 3.49

... tempted, can anyone recommend?
AshT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2010, 21:37   #486
AshT
Custom User Title

AshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
One Week Offer

Virtua Tennis 2009, 75% OFF, 5.00

Tempted. I loved Virtua Tennis on the Dreamcast. The clincher would be if the game included achievements ... but it doesn't.
Old 3rd Mar 2010, 10:15   #487
AshT
Custom User Title

One Week Indie 2 Sale

Altitude, 2.
Good game. Simple. Can be challenging against the more experienced.
Bob Came In Pieces, 2
Might be buying this ...
Bullet Candy, 2
Good, simple shoot-em-up.
Galcon Fusion, 2
Bought it in a previous deal, haven't played it yet.
Gridrunner Revolution, 2
Great fun. Very messy. Very colourful. Nice little shoot-em-up.
Space Giraffe, 2
Definitely will be buying this!
Super Laser Racer, 2
Great little game. Needs a multiplayer version desperately.

All of the above pack, 9.99

Old 3rd Mar 2010, 11:17   #488
PureSilver
E-tailer Tailor

PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I love how three of those games - Bullet Candy, Galcon Fusion and Gridrunner Revolution literally ARE Geometry Wars (Gridrunner even takes it's name from a Geometry Wars clone, Gridwars) and two more - Space Giraffe and Super Laser Racer - take all the visual design from it.

Last edited by PureSilver; 3rd Mar 2010 at 11:34. Reason: I forgot to point out - I frikkin' loved Geometry Wars, so I still bought two :D
PureSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2010, 11:34   #489
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
+rep for all your posts Ash, good job
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2010, 11:47   #490
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureSilver View Post
I love how three of those games - Bullet Candy, Galcon Fusion and Gridrunner Revolution literally ARE Geometry Wars (Gridrunner even takes it's name from a Geometry Wars clone, Gridwars) and two more - Space Giraffe and Super Laser Racer - take all the visual design from it.
I think you've got it backwards...

If anything, Geometry Wars would be inspired by Gridrunner. Try looking up Jeff Minter on Wikipedia or some such. Or head over to his home page. This man has made some classic games, if not necessarily for all tastes.

Xeon E3-1245 v2 3.4 GHz | ASUS P8C WS | 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3 | Samsung 830 256GB | eVGA GTX670 2GB | SB Audigy | Seasonic X-560 | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2209WA
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2010, 12:57   #491
AshT
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureSilver View Post
Thing is, if you take every shoot-em-up as an example, you could say they all copy Asteroids or even earlier with Space War. The shoot-em-up genre reached it's originality boundaries many many years ago. Now we get the same but better GFX & SFX ... hopefully! Space Giraffe certainly is one of Jeff Minters typical games and his style is copied as opposed to him copying others. Super Laser Racer is nothing whatsoever like Geometry Wars! I need some convincing about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael- View Post
I think you've got it backwards...

If anything, Geometry Wars would be inspired by Gridrunner. Try looking up Jeff Minter on Wikipedia or some such. Or head over to his home page. This man has made some classic games, if not necessarily for all tastes.
^ what ^ he ^ says ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi View Post
+rep for all your posts Ash, good job
I enjoy spreading the love for bargains, and I get all warm and fuzzy when it involves indie titles
Old 3rd Mar 2010, 13:19   #492
PureSilver
E-tailer Tailor

PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
D'oh, should really have guessed there was going to be something between Asteroids and Gridwars, which I used to play religiously...

I'm not saying that Super Laser Racer is the same game dynamically - it's not, it's completely different - but the neon-nightclub-UV visuals and general aesthetics are pretty similar IMO, mostly because Jeff Minter set a template which was then copied endlessly. Gridwars & Super Laser Racer for comparison - you can't say these two don't look similar;

Old 3rd Mar 2010, 14:22   #493
AshT
Custom User Title

Sorry! I read over the bit where you said 'visual style' for Super Laser Racer

Anyway, there is something about neon shoot-em-ups that sends my heart-rate up and my palms sweaty.
Old 3rd Mar 2010, 14:23   #494
boiled_elephant
I actually like Doom 3.

boiled_elephant is definitely a rep cheat.boiled_elephant is definitely a rep cheat.boiled_elephant is definitely a rep cheat.boiled_elephant is definitely a rep cheat.boiled_elephant is definitely a rep cheat.boiled_elephant is definitely a rep cheat.boiled_elephant is definitely a rep cheat.boiled_elephant is definitely a rep cheat.boiled_elephant is definitely a rep cheat.boiled_elephant is definitely a rep cheat.boiled_elephant is definitely a rep cheat.
There was a vertical one called rRootage that looked exactly like that, too. There are probably hundreds of indie/retro games that look like that. I guess it's just a very easy and instantly 'cool' aesthetic to pull off.
Normally, though, your hobbies are profitless and you spend your youth cramming them
into the pauses between 8-hour shifts of restless tedium, waiting for retirement.
boiled_elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Mar 2010, 05:10   #495
SpectreAU
What's a Dremel?

SpectreAU has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, $7.49 USD.
SpectreAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Mar 2010, 09:17   #496
AshT
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreAU View Post
Tempting ... does anyone know if this game is any good? The trailers look pretty smart and the game was only released in oct 09.
Old 5th Mar 2010, 10:24   #497
smc8788
potato

smc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/20...ising-review/1
Other stuff I own: [BenQ XL2411T/Dell 2407WFP] - [Razer Blackwidow Tournament Stealth] - [Zowie FK] - [Sennheiser HD800] - [Audez'e LCD2 rev. 2] - [Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies] - [Philips 46PFL9705H] - [Onkyo TX-NR515] - [B&W 685]

[Steam] - [Battlelog]
smc8788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Mar 2010, 15:00   #498
Plastic_Manc
Multimodder

Plastic_Manc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshT View Post
Tempting ... does anyone know if this game is any good? The trailers look pretty smart and the game was only released in oct 09.
Got given it free and have played it twice, control system is awful.
Old 5th Mar 2010, 15:02   #499
PureSilver
E-tailer Tailor

It's supposed to be even less forgiving than Arma II, which I found literally not worth the extreme effort of playing (and I'm not exactly a complete noob), but without the corresponding realism.

Avoid.
Old 5th Mar 2010, 15:16   #500
teamtd11
*Custom User Title*

teamtd11 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelteamtd11 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelteamtd11 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelteamtd11 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelteamtd11 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I got my gf to buy me super laser racer payed $2 not 2 steam was asking me for.
teamtd11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a steal, bargain, bogof, cheap as chips, cheep cheep, chips and curry sauce, derp, free dirt 2, hot and steamy, huge piston, mmm... spelt flour, mmmm... chips, omg free pc, onioncake, pushing in and out, spelled thief wrong, spelt not spelled, steam, steam... mmmm, stop! theif!, the taffer, where is free cheesecake?