bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 7th Dec 2009, 11:58   #1
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
SODIMM system-on-a-chip launched

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...hip-launched/1

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2009, 12:57   #2
docodine
killed a guy once

docodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for president
"yo dawg, i heard you like ram, so we put ram in your ram, so you can randomly access while you randomly access..."

What can be done with this thing? It's too slow for a media center, can't run windows, etc.
docodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2009, 13:15   #3
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
That is incredible! It may not be the most powerful system out there, but it really is amazing!

@docodine
I don't know what you'd use it for. potentially something like an awesome phone of sorts?
Old 7th Dec 2009, 13:15   #4
Psytek
Multimodder

Psytek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by docodine
What can be done with this thing? It's too slow for a media center, can't run windows, etc.

If you read the text on this web page of text... you would have noticed the text which said this was revealed on 'Linux for devices'

The moral of the story is... you really should read text, when you are interacting with a medium which uses text to convey information.
Psytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2009, 13:36   #5
Cupboard
I'm not a modder.

Cupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I can see the attraction in having such a small "computer", however what is the point of having it fit into a SODIMM? They are designed to have memory put in them, not entire computers, so I assume they provide no more than power and a safe place to live? If that is the case, would it not be better to have a proper power connector to un-tie it more a parent board?
Old 7th Dec 2009, 13:40   #6
Bursar
Hypermodder

Bursar has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's the size of a SODIMM. It's not designed to fit the SODIMM slot of a laptop. For hybrid set top boxes, it would make a great platform.
Bursar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2009, 13:41   #7
widmod
Supermodder

widmod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
no forum link?
seems to be a new "feature" since CPC is on board
i would love to see this board in a handset
so i could just swap my handsets cpu for a faster one after a year
i wait to see usb ports on handsets like the latest linux power n900
widmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2009, 15:22   #8
bigsharn
Officially demotivated

bigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysis
I love the idea of this... and E150 (I can't euro sign) for it seems pretty fair

I'm thinking torrent box within an existing computer case
Old 7th Dec 2009, 15:53   #9
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
"yo dawg, i heard you like ram, so we put ram in your ram, so you can randomly access while you randomly access..."
LOL... Demot please!!
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )

Last edited by B1GBUD; 7th Dec 2009 at 15:56. Reason: being a numpty
B1GBUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2009, 16:02   #10
SMIFFYDUDE
Supermodders on my D

SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.
Its still more powerful than my first PC, so it'll play championship manager 00/01 which is what my dad still plays on it.
Cooler Master HAF 932 | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | i7 930@4.1 | Corsair H50 | 12GB OCZ PC3-12800 Gold | x2 Palit GTX 560Ti 2GB | XFX Pro 750W XXX | HP LP2475w | Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1 | CM Storm Inferno | Logitech G27 | Windows 7 Home Premium

SMIFFYDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2009, 19:09   #11
t1alek
Mind modder.

t1alek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
@Bursar
According to the picture, it does actually seem to SO-DIMM based, for connection between the daughterboard and motherboard.
t1alek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2009, 20:38   #12
wiak
Multimodder

wiak has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
WDTV Touch Micro anyone? :P
OCZ Gold PC6400 4GB Dual Channel, VelociRaptor 150GB
Corsair 620HX (12v=3x18A, +3.3v=24A, +5=24A)
wiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2009, 22:38   #13
frontline
Punish Your Machine

frontline has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfrontline has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1alek
@Bursar
According to the picture, it does actually seem to SO-DIMM based, for connection between the daughterboard and motherboard.
Yes,

Quote:
The tiny SODIMM-factor TRITON-TX51 requires a baseboard to break out the connectivity, but this can be shrunk via a design service
Intel Core i7 2600K| Asus P8P67-M PRO R3 | Corsair H70 Hydro Series CPU Cooler |Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Memory Kit CL9 1.65V | Sapphire HD 6990 4GB GDDR5 | Crucial M225 128Gb SSD | Asus Xonar DX | LG W2261VP | Corsair GS800 PSU
frontline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2009, 23:00   #14
Rkiver
Cybernetic Spine

Rkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I want one.
Old 8th Dec 2009, 12:52   #15
Landy_Ed
Ultramodder

Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.
Seems to me like should some enterprising companies also start to manufacture inexpensive compatible parts, especially the baseboard in smaller form, the potential is there for cheap boutique or home-made mobile PDA/phones & any number of other discreet connected devices. Perhaps some of the more enterprising hackers will come up with a way to get the iPhone OS to run on it - same processor after all!

How long before we see a computer running Fedora or CE built into an action man or a 1:43 scale model car ? ...that'd be a neat mutimedia presentation platform actually...
Old 9th Dec 2009, 08:15   #16
crazyceo
Banned

crazyceo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytek
Quote:

If you read the text on this web page of text... you would have noticed the text which said this was revealed on 'Linux for devices'

The moral of the story is... you really should read text, when you are interacting with a medium which uses text to convey information.
Yes but it also stated " full compatibility for Windows CE 6.0" Whether it was revealed on Linux for Devices or not, this product is NOT Linux exclusive. Which is a positive as it would be a shame to limit this device to just Linux.
crazyceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Dec 2009, 09:30   #17
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Even worse shame to limit it to windows CE....
Old 9th Dec 2009, 11:37   #18
Icy EyeG
Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Icy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I don't know about you guys, but I have the feeling that many of the interesting devices shown at linuxfordevices.com never show up for sale in a large scale... Most of the time you only find them at industrial web stores.
I wonder if this will be the case...

Anyway, the design isn't new:
- http://www.emtrion.de/hicodimm7723_en.php
- http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/166...m-lpc3250.html
- http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/166...m-lpc2478.html
Icy EyeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Dec 2009, 08:37   #19
Landy_Ed
Ultramodder

Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy EyeG
I don't know about you guys, but I have the feeling that many of the interesting devices shown at linuxfordevices.com never show up for sale in a large scale... Most of the time you only find them at industrial web stores.
I wonder if this will be the case...

Anyway, the design isn't new:
- http://www.emtrion.de/hicodimm7723_en.php
- http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/166...m-lpc3250.html
- http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/166...m-lpc2478.html
Perhaps the key is exposure, on websites like this. For UK buyers, availability is also relevant!
Old 10th Dec 2009, 09:22   #20
crazyceo
Banned

crazyceo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo_mcg
Even worse shame to limit it to windows CE....
Doesn't say that either and your point is?
crazyceo is offline   Reply With Quote