bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 8th Dec 2009, 10:07   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Google launches Goggles

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...ches-goggles/1

Google has announced its plans to more tightly integrated search with the real world with the launch of two projects: a QRCode-based system and 'Google Goggles.'

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2009, 10:14   #2
Musicboffin
Multimodder

Musicboffin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"Google Googles allows you to simply snap a picture of an item"

Nice proof reading...
Musicboffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2009, 10:28   #3
Radical_Monkey
Dremel > Lightsabre

Radical_Monkey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
cant find it here in the uk
Radical_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2009, 10:33   #4
leveller
Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

leveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Awesome application!

We will be able to forget about tourist guides and those funny radio devices you get in museums. Expanding on the idea, if the device can recognise famous places, surely it could be developed to recognise curbs, pavements, posts, roads, obstacles etc. Thereby the blind could use it with a spoken word system to navigate?
leveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2009, 10:45   #5
scawp
Multimodder

scawp has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
When Google (aka skynet) take control and enslave the human race you'll think back and say "Actually thinking about it Microsoft wasn't that evil after all, we miss you Bill"
scawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2009, 11:08   #6
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Clever, but not something I'd see myself using.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2009, 11:10   #7
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by scawp
.....you'll think back and say "Actually thinking about it Microsoft wasn't that evil after all, we miss you Bill"
I'm already thinking that about Apple. They're worse than MS ever were for locking you in.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2009, 11:37   #8
nicae
Multimodder

nicae has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If I held the Golden Gate Bridge book while naked, it would return links about elephants.

HA HA HA
C2D E8400 :: PNY 8800GT 512MB :: 2x2GB G.SKILL Pi Black DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 :: Asus Maximus Formula :: WindowsXP SP3 :: 2x320GB HDDs RAID0 :: Zalman CNPS9500 LED :: OCZ Freeze :: SevenTeam ST-550PAG 550W
nicae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2009, 12:46   #9
eek
CAMRA ***.

eek has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by article
iconic Golden Gate Bridge in Swan Fransisco
lol?
eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2009, 19:10   #10
dec
[blank space]

dec has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by scawp View Post
When Google (aka skynet) take control and enslave the human race you'll think back and say "Actually thinking about it Microsoft wasn't that evil after all, we miss you Bill"
does that mean that the first google machine will be arnold sch....*snip*....er?

im moving to antarctica for judgment day
dec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2009, 23:16   #11
Neophyte4Life
Minimodder

Neophyte4Life has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by dec
Quote:
Originally Posted by scawp View Post
does that mean that the first google machine will be arnold sch....*snip*....er?

im moving to antarctica for judgment day
Hopefully it will not have melted away by then.....

I think the idea is great especially when i cant remember what something is called. Now we just need cheap 3d image capture so image angles wont affect performance. Maybe they can incorporate something like Photosynth?
Neophyte4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Dec 2009, 05:24   #12
smoothie
Multimodder

smoothie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have an Android 2.0 phone (the Droid), and as soon as I got this app I tested it on a bunch of things around my place. It worked very well; they warn you it won't perform well if you snap pictures of food, clothing, or furniture, but if you snap a picture with the label in focus (the camera takes a few moments before snapping the picture because it has an auto-focus feature that's worked very well for me so far.
The search accurately identified and displayed relevant content for a few of my textbooks, my flash drive, a bottle of NOS, a Sam Adams winter lager, Canon printer, and Staples brand staples, and other things I won't bother to list. The lighting wasn't ideal, and I left most of these objects in the position I found them.
It couldn't match a plain red plastic cup, or an HP ink cartridge (the camera wouldn't focus on the logo or numbers). Overall, I'd say it performed pretty well.
smoothie is offline   Reply With Quote