bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 8th Dec 2009, 11:10   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
GAME admits Christmas sales slump

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...-sales-slump/1

Retail chain GAME has admitted to suffering a notable sales slump in the run up to Christmas this year.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2009, 11:12   #2
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm not surprised. You could get three or four reasonable second hand games for the price of one new one. Plus they're being undercut by the supermarkets. PES2010 £39.99 in Game, £27ish in Asda.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2009, 11:14   #3
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Because there has been 1 game released, and everything else is carpet fluff around it in terms of news and interest generated.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2009, 11:18   #4
Veles
DUR HUR

Veles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well if they didn't charge full RRP on all their games and charged more reasonable prices they might be having less problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod View Post
spam gangsters might as well tap into all those machines for their zombie networks.
Veles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2009, 11:23   #5
b1g-d0g
Mod Master

b1g-d0g is definitely a rep cheat.b1g-d0g is definitely a rep cheat.b1g-d0g is definitely a rep cheat.b1g-d0g is definitely a rep cheat.b1g-d0g is definitely a rep cheat.b1g-d0g is definitely a rep cheat.b1g-d0g is definitely a rep cheat.b1g-d0g is definitely a rep cheat.b1g-d0g is definitely a rep cheat.b1g-d0g is definitely a rep cheat.b1g-d0g is definitely a rep cheat.
Got left 4 dead 2 online from game for £26 delivered before i whent into the shop at my town and it was £34 to greedy.
b1g-d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2009, 11:25   #6
shanky887614
Multimodder

shanky887614 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
wellwhen you compare them to supermarkets they are being undercut aswell by places like amazon
shanky887614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2009, 11:32   #7
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I decided to buy l4d2 a couple of days after launch, check amazon £26 decided i wanted it quickly and was therefore willing to pay a premium to have it in my hand. £30 would have been fine, that covers the costs of expedited post but £35 was beyond my physiological price point.
Old 8th Dec 2009, 11:34   #8
thEcat
Multimodder

thEcat has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I quite like GAME, ten minuet walk, nice atmosphere, sitting in the park on the way home sharing my new purchase with the squirrels and I'll never forget the day they gave me £50 odd against a six month old £60 sound card as a trade in. I would have bought Dragon Age from them if the CE had come with a cloth map, it didn't and Steam got my money.
thEcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2009, 11:37   #9
shigllgetcha
Come at me bro

shigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysis
they put local independant game stores out of business and now the same is being done to them, a single tear rolls down my face for game.

anyway they make most of their profit on used games dont they?
Old 8th Dec 2009, 11:38   #10
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I just purchased a PS3 bundle from Game so it's not my fault!

I also feel all those people that bought Wiis last year have stopped buying new games, everything out on the Wii seems to be a rehash of a title people probably already have.
Old 8th Dec 2009, 11:47   #11
Mr T
4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Mr T has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
MW2 - £26 from Tesco or £45 from Game i know where id go (and did).

I even walked straight past Game to get to Tesco. With price's like that they really can't compete.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.4Ghz - 4Gb Corsair 6400C4 - Abit IP35 - 256mb nVidia 7900GS
Corsair HX 520w PSU - Pioneer DVR-212 DVD-RW - 74Gb Western Digital Raptor - 320Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2009, 11:52   #12
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
on another topic
was in HMV last night and they didnt even have a pc gaming section
Old 8th Dec 2009, 12:00   #13
Dreaming
Supermodder

Dreaming has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veles View Post
Well if they didn't charge full RRP on all their games and charged more reasonable prices they might be having less problems.
tbf a supermarket can cut the costs because they only need to hire 1 checkout person for the entire store, whereas GAME needs to hire a checkout person just for games, and so the marginal overheads are significantly higher, so they need to sell at a higher price point to make a profit. Supposedly the offset is that GAME will have better selection and also better aftersales/support/knowledge of the area, but the video / pc games market has been moving towards few but significant big releases where you don't really need an entire shop devoted to LFD2 and MW2.

C2D E6300 @ 2.8 | | Abit IP35 Pro | | 4GB Corsair XMS2 800 | | BFG 9800GT OC 1GB | | Antec NeoHE 550 | | Lian Li PC A05B (with top blowhole mod) | | LG 32LH4000 + Samsung 226BW 22"
Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2009, 12:09   #14
Centy-face
Caw?

Centy-face has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
People think it costs more to run a game store than a supermarket that is just bizzare. While its true that game has only games to sell surely because that is all it sells and it has about 3million shops now they can buy it in similar bulk to the supermarkets and while they can't slash the price as far they didn't even try, To be honest I haven't bought a PC game from a shop in several years the closest I have come is Amazon and as for portable games liek the DS they all get imported at half the cost from the US. Game shops are dying and I for one could not care less at all they are needless and obviously skew the market towards the people who pay the most for ad space and ultimately every time I have been in one the staff have not been any use at all they know about as much about games as my mum.
Centy-face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2009, 12:31   #15
Greentrident
Multimodder

Greentrident has yet to learn the way of the DremelGreentrident has yet to learn the way of the DremelGreentrident has yet to learn the way of the DremelGreentrident has yet to learn the way of the DremelGreentrident has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I had a £15 game voucher that took me 9 months to spend because they can only be used in the stores - where the price hike is stupendous. I had a psychological block paying £20 for something that was available from their online store for £15!
Greentrident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2009, 12:38   #16
SNIPERMikeUK
Multimodder

SNIPERMikeUK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I am all for shopping with Game (online), they have great deals, and delivery is quick, but the store prices are not competitive, and usually HMV undercut them...
Old 8th Dec 2009, 12:58   #17
fev
Industry Fallout

fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
A crying shame, they have the power to turn it around. Morgan Stanley gave a warning about HMV's games business being slow too.
Old 8th Dec 2009, 12:58   #18
13eightyfour
Formerly Titanium Angel

13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.
Ill admit the only reason i ever really go into game is to look through the pre owned section tbh. Ill buy new whenever i really want something, but more often than not i end up buying some completely random pre owned game that ive never heard of because its cheap.

The supermarkets are in a position where they can offset the sale of a game against the masses of other products they sell, They probably lose money on games when they sell them cheap, but from a business point of view if you can afford to do it, and get a customer in the store its win.

The tescos where i live used to accept the fuel vouchers from the other supermarkets, just to get customers to their store.
13eightyfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2009, 13:26   #19
Blademrk
Why so serious?

Blademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I just purchased a PS3 bundle from Game so it's not my fault!
I almost bought a 250GB PS3 with 2 BR's (Dark Knight + Wolverine) in Tesco last night, but checked on Play first where the same package was over £20 cheaper plus it came with the BR remote (which would have cost me an extra £17 in Tesco) so I left it.

My X-Box Live gamertag, PSN, Steam & Nintendo ID is BladeMrk
Blademrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 2009, 14:24   #20
AcidJiles
Supermodder

AcidJiles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If they continually overcharge for games what do they expect. With the internet and supermarket prices they need to reduce them to stay competitive to give consumers a fair deal rather than charging the excessive RRP price that I presonally have not paid in about 7 years (even when bought new).
AcidJiles is offline   Reply With Quote