bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 14th Dec 2009, 14:05   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Bethesda loses Fallout lawsuit to Interplay

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...to-interplay/1

Bethesda has failed to get an injunction against Interplay regarding older Fallout games.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2009, 14:39   #2
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Huh. I sided with Beth on this one: you don't sell the rights to your product to someone else, and then carry on selling the products yourselves.

I wonder why the judge sided with Interplay, unless there's more to it than we know.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2009, 14:46   #3
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
AFAIK... They sold the rights to the title and background plot etc. but not the existing games.
Old 14th Dec 2009, 16:38   #4
Tokukachi
Multimodder

Tokukachi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
maybe noe they can just get on with making games? Everyone is far to litigation happy these days...
Tokukachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Dec 2009, 19:10   #5
Matticus

Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.Matticus is definitely a rep cheat.
I wonder how many sales the earlier games still get these days? I can imagine fallout 3 is a much higher earner, unless Bethesda are looking to do an ultra pack or something.

I will give you a real life example (from last year) of how I think people approach the older games after playing fallout 3.

My friend: "Oh man I am loving fallout 3 at the minute? You?"
Me: "Yep it really is great, running around for hours can be a bit boring though"
My friend: "Yeah that's true, as this is fallout THREE, I assume there were 2 others?"
Me: "Yeah, well more, but 2 main ones, the others were sort of spin offs and stuff"
My friend: "Are they the same sort of game?"
Me: "An RPG? yeah sure, obviously they are older so not the same 3D action style, but an RPG. With turn based combat"
My friend: "Oh right, sounds good then. So when were they made?"
Me: "I think like late 1990s, before 2000 that's for sure, I don't know exactly"
My friend: "OH! Maybe I will give them a miss then"
Me: "What?"
Old 14th Dec 2009, 19:19   #6
Yemerich
I can has PERSUADETRON?

Yemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Good! Hopefully Bethesda will loose it's right to butcher... errrr... make future FOs
/me crossing fingers and praying
Hades (Best advanced casemod design CP-Brazil 2010)

Take a look on my projects here.
Yemerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2009, 00:15   #7
Googoo
Minimodder

Googoo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's laughable to watch people vehemently hate Fallout 3 because it revived a dead series that was in the hands of a bankrupt publisher. Even more amusing is the fact that most of the original team are now working on New Vegas for Beth. So, I'm not entirely sure why someone would want Interplay, who couldn't even fund the MMORPG, to retain the rights? Black Isle's is no more, and the original CEO of interplay has long been gone.
Googoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2009, 07:55   #8
Vash-HT
Multimodder

Vash-HT has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Googoo
It's laughable to watch people vehemently hate Fallout 3 because it revived a dead series that was in the hands of a bankrupt publisher. Even more amusing is the fact that most of the original team are now working on New Vegas for Beth. So, I'm not entirely sure why someone would want Interplay, who couldn't even fund the MMORPG, to retain the rights? Black Isle's is no more, and the original CEO of interplay has long been gone.
Maybe some people think FO3 is awful compared to the first 2 games, and shouldn't be mentioned the way that brotherhood of steel shouldn't be. OK, maybe that's going a little far, but it's their opinion that FO3 isn't anywhere near the quality of the first 2, and wasn't worth making. I somewhat agree with it, sometimes letting a series die is better than making a crappy sequel, obviously popular opinion would disagree with me on FO3, but as an earlier poster pointed out, a lot of FO3 fanboys have never touched the first 2 games and never intend to.

Just because Black Isle isn't around doesn't mean a company HAS to take over the series. Sometimes the chain of sequels just has to end.

EDIT: Just wanted to add something relevant to the article, I was under the impression Bethesda bought the rights to the fallout universe and the ability to produce Fallout games, I wouldn't think this would have any bearing on games already made.

Last edited by Vash-HT; 15th Dec 2009 at 08:02.
Vash-HT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2009, 12:32   #9
hexx
Multimodder

hexx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
FALLOUT 3 IS NOT A FALLOUT GAME IT JUST PARASITES ON ITS NAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's rubbish, utter rubbish.

yes, i've got the special edition and yes i did play it - for 4 hours, sold the game and kept the box and installed back fallout 2 + hi-res patch. fallout 3 is not a fallout game, it's missing everything what fallout was and is about
Old 15th Dec 2009, 15:53   #10
Javerh
Topiary Golem

Javerh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexx View Post
FALLOUT 3 IS NOT A FALLOUT GAME IT JUST PARASITES ON ITS NAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's rubbish, utter rubbish.

yes, i've got the special edition and yes i did play it - for 4 hours, sold the game and kept the box and installed back fallout 2 + hi-res patch. fallout 3 is not a fallout game, it's missing everything what fallout was and is about
Post-apocalyptic world... CHECK!
Quirky humour... CHECK!
Dogmeat... CHECK!
Mean mutants... CHECK!
Bloody Mess... CHECK!
Pip Boy... CHECK!
3rd person view... CHECK!

What am I missing here?
Modders make project logs. Project logs make mods. Mods make modders.
Javerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Dec 2009, 16:26   #11
hexx
Multimodder

hexx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javerh
Quote:

Quirky humour... CHECK!
Dogmeat... CHECK!
Mean mutants... CHECK!
Bloody Mess... CHECK!
Pip Boy... CHECK!

What am I missing here?
Atmosphere = gone
Humor = gone
Story = gone
Perks and the way the work = gone
leveling system = rubbish, the same like in oblivion

What are you missing there?....hmm...simple answer - all of what fallout was and is about
Old 15th Dec 2009, 19:49   #12
CowBlazed
Supermodder

CowBlazed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I loved the first 2 Fallouts and think Bethesda did a good job with the third. Can't even compare them really ones a shooter RPG, and ones an isometricaly viewed adventure RPG from 10 years ago. But the games stand on their own seperately from each other.
CowBlazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Dec 2009, 05:28   #13
PandaMonster
What's a Dremel?

PandaMonster has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javerh
Quote:

Quirky humour... CHECK!
Dogmeat... CHECK!
Mean mutants... CHECK!
Bloody Mess... CHECK!
Pip Boy... CHECK!

What am I missing here?
Atmosphere = gone
Humor = gone
Story = gone
Perks and the way the work = gone
leveling system = rubbish, the same like in oblivion

What are you missing there?....hmm...simple answer - all of what fallout was and is about
AMEN brother.
PandaMonster is offline   Reply With Quote