bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 16th Dec 2009, 14:30   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
RockYou passwords stolen

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...words-stolen/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Dec 2009, 14:46   #2
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
These people sound like idiots, but I wonder how many other companies have databases that are similarly unsecure...

I'll bet it's more than we'd even like to think about!
Old 16th Dec 2009, 14:49   #3
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi1ez View Post
These people sound like idiots, but I wonder how many other companies have databases that are similarly unsecure...

+1
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Dec 2009, 14:50   #4
NickCPC
Multimodder

NickCPC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NickCPC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NickCPC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NickCPC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NickCPC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NickCPC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NickCPC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NickCPC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NickCPC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NickCPC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NickCPC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Most of their "gadgets" are rubbish anyway, I'm glad I don't use their "services".
NickCPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Dec 2009, 15:07   #5
NuTech
Mod Master

NuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run Crysis
Why on earth would they store passwords in their database? That's as irresponsible as it gets.

This quote on their homepage made me laugh too -
Quote:
As you know, RockYou takes our users privacy very seriously. We take a lot of effort to protect user data from security breaches and attacks.
No, obviously we don't 'know'...
Old 16th Dec 2009, 15:13   #6
BradShort
Familyman - Fraggin when allowed :P

BradShort is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.BradShort is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.BradShort is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.BradShort is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.BradShort is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.BradShort is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.BradShort is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.BradShort is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.BradShort is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.BradShort is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.BradShort is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
no need to keep passwords, n00bs. If your data is that insecure i believe you should be able to sue.....
Twitter=Steam:BradShort
BradShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Dec 2009, 16:35   #7
sear

This is why you keep your personal information off the Internet as much as you can. Nothing is safe or secure anymore.
Old 16th Dec 2009, 16:42   #8
TomH
Bwahahahahaha

TomH has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxess
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi1ez View Post

+1
+2^9000
Old 16th Dec 2009, 16:44   #9
Mr T
4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Mr T has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What kind of n00b stores passwords in plaintext >_<

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.4Ghz - 4Gb Corsair 6400C4 - Abit IP35 - 256mb nVidia 7900GS
Corsair HX 520w PSU - Pioneer DVR-212 DVD-RW - 74Gb Western Digital Raptor - 320Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Dec 2009, 17:34   #10
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
And that concludes lesson 101 in why you shouldn't rely on SSL alone to secure user data - just because the user session is secure from snooping doesn't mean someone can't extract the data from your database. At an absolute minimum, passwords should be irreversibly hashed before being entered into a database. Preferably use a salt with hmac (http://uk3.php.net/manual/en/function.hash-hmac.php) to prevent simple collision searches on hashed data. Hashing does increase database size (a typical password might be 8 chars, a typical hash is 128 or 160 bit, i.e. 32/40 hex chars or 27/22 base 64 chars) but that is a small price to pay, and the difference is unlikely to have substantial diskspace / performance implications unless we're talking about a database the size of Facebook's.

Also, encrypting everything isn't a bad idea (though usability / performance implications may make it impractical). Lastly, what clown left the backdoor open? It isn't hard to unescape every user passed parameter to guard against mySQL injection. http://uk3.php.net/manual/en/functio...ape-string.php
Old 16th Dec 2009, 17:38   #11
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
double post

Last edited by mclean007; 16th Dec 2009 at 17:39. Reason: double post
mclean007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Dec 2009, 18:20   #12
bigsharn
Officially demotivated

bigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysisbigsharn can run Crysis
I think I've got a Bebo with RockYou Horoscope on it from about 4 years ago with the name Bigsharn Macwartbutt and the address of the whitehouse... so I'm not worried
Old 17th Dec 2009, 06:31   #13
1ad7
Supermodder

1ad7 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Awesome... wow... that's retarded.
1ad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2009, 02:27   #14
airchie
Mod Master

airchie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That is some special skills right there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralwandrer
Being a legitimate customer of the games industry is increasingly like being in a relationship with an abusive spouse.
airchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2009, 07:42   #15
sub routine
Archie Gemel

sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
pfft no encryption,

10 days to inform everyone.

What a bunch of c*Nts
sub routine is offline   Reply With Quote