bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 18th Dec 2009, 12:11   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
AVP wins Australian rating appeal

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...ating-appeal/1

Sega has announced that it has won an appeal for release of AVP in Australia.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2009, 12:19   #2
Bede
Ultramodder

Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Let's say the game sells a million units. 1-2% of a million is 10-20 thousand people who will probably go on to commit horrendous murders according the the Australian AG
Bede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2009, 12:55   #3
AcidJiles
Supermodder

AcidJiles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
As usual they entirely miss the point. The AG should understand that the people who he is concerned about (who are no where near 1-2%) can be affected by any medium. A tv show with a person being hit or a book with some violence or even a documentary about war, or even something happening in their own lives can set them off. Games do not have a monopoly on causing these people to become dangerous and are no more dangerous than anything else in society as long as they are only viewed by the correct age group.

Glad they won the appeal tho. Hope the Aussies enjoy it.

Last edited by AcidJiles; 18th Dec 2009 at 13:06.
AcidJiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2009, 13:05   #4
wiak
Multimodder

wiak has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"I accept that 98 per cent, 99 per cent of gamers will tell the difference between fantasy and reality, but the one per cent to two per cent could go on to be motivated by these games to commit horrible acts of violence," he added.
hmm cant they just ban movies and tv shows? come on this is nonsense
OCZ Gold PC6400 4GB Dual Channel, VelociRaptor 150GB
Corsair 620HX (12v=3x18A, +3.3v=24A, +5=24A)
wiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2009, 13:07   #5
StephenK
Sneak 'em Upper

StephenK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yeah. Even if we take his 1-2% figures as real. Of the 10-20 thousand who are 'motivated' how many commit violent crime of any sort? Even if we say, i dunno, 10% of those... and I'm picking a figure I think is wayyyy too high then we have 1-2 thousand people out of a a million people. At that level, we're looking at 0.001% of the million gamers committing a violent act. By those standards we should also ban alcohol, driving, watching sports in stadiums, etc etc etc.

Edit: My fiancÚ just made a nice point. At those percentage rates, we should be actively encouraging people to play violent video games instead of drinking alcohol. If everyone played violent games instead of drinking, violent crime would drop considerably
Intel e6600 - 4gb Corsair Twin2X 6400C4 DDR2 - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro + Silver 5 - Gainward GTX260 Golden Sample 896MB - Dell U2410 + iiyama E2200WS - Black Coolermaster ATCS 840 - Corsair HX620 - Asus P5B Deluxe - 1tb F3 - 1tb F1 - 320gb T166 - X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - Creative Inspire T6100 - Razer Lycosa and Razer Mamba

Last edited by StephenK; 18th Dec 2009 at 13:18.
StephenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2009, 13:29   #6
Bede
Ultramodder

Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Hehe Friday nights in town centers would be so different Massive open-air lan parties instead of massive open-air brawls? :P
Bede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2009, 13:50   #7
scawp
Multimodder

scawp has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenK
Yeah. Even if we take his 1-2% figures as real. Of the 10-20 thousand who are 'motivated' how many commit violent crime of any sort? Even if we say, i dunno, 10% of those... and I'm picking a figure I think is wayyyy too high then we have 1-2 thousand people out of a a million people. At that level, we're looking at 0.001% of the million gamers committing a violent act. By those standards we should also ban alcohol, driving, watching sports in stadiums, etc etc etc.

Edit: My fiancÚ just made a nice point. At those percentage rates, we should be actively encouraging people to play violent video games instead of drinking alcohol. If everyone played violent games instead of drinking, violent crime would drop considerably
I drink beer and play violent games at the same time, and I've only once kick a puppy.
scawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2009, 14:48   #8
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by scawp
I drink beer and play violent games at the same time, and I've only once kick a puppy.
I hope this was a virtual puppy or I'm gonna call the RSPCA on your ass!
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )
B1GBUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2009, 15:10   #9
Gunsmith
Maximum Win

Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.
compared to the original this is avp for console children, i couldnt care less
Gunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2009, 18:20   #10
SNIPERMikeUK
Multimodder

SNIPERMikeUK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
A good day for Australian Gamers...
Old 19th Dec 2009, 02:17   #11
Sebbo
Multimodder

Sebbo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I don't mean to be politically correct (no pun intended) but this is only the South Australian AG with this view - yeah, there's more than one AG. Each Australian state has an AG and the ratings sytem is govern by all of them reaching unanimous votes. All the other AGs appear to be for an 18+ rating for games (all other media has this rating already) except this single AG of South Australia
Indeed though, this is good news for us Aussies though
Intel Core i7 920, ASUS P6T Deluxe, 12GB Corsair Dominator PC-12800, Sapphire HD7970, Crucial m300 120GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB, Samsung Spinpoint 1TB, Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, Logitech G510 and G9, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers, Dell U2713HM 27" and 2408WFP 24" monitors
Sebbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2009, 05:43   #12
Autti
Multimodder

Autti has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
We are working on an appeal for R18+ and the Australian Attorney General is accepting submissions to the discussion atm.
http://www.ag.gov.au/gamesclassification
Old 20th Dec 2009, 01:30   #13
BurningFeetMan
Multimodder

BurningFeetMan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I live in Australia and there is a LOT of hate for this Attorney General, Michael Atkinson. He's basically breaking our democracy. Because he doesn't like violence in video games, we, the entire population of Australia, have to suffer. Absolute joke of a politician.
BurningFeetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Dec 2009, 09:40   #14
TWeaK

So AVP gets the all-clear but L4D2 doesn't?
Old 21st Dec 2009, 00:29   #15
vdbswong
It's a Hedgehod

vdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
TBH I don't really agree with this.

I think if a game deserves an 18 rating, then it should get one. If Australia doesn't have an 18 rating, then the game simply shouldn't be released.

It sounds harsh, but i'm not against the violence in the game, just the fact that if Australia are simply reclassifying the game to a "15+" then there's not really any "true" progress against the system.
vdbswong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2009, 00:55   #16
Sebbo
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdbswong View Post

I think if a game deserves an 18 rating, then it should get one. If Australia doesn't have an 18 rating, then the game simply shouldn't be released.

It sounds harsh, but i'm not against the violence in the game, just the fact that if Australia are simply reclassifying the game to a "15+" then there's not really any "true" progress against the system.
that's part of the reasoning by many as to why we should have an 18+ rating here. there are several games with high levels of violence etc that would be put under this new 18+ rating that really shouldn't be fit for 15yo. until then, it's a fight to even have some games released here unedited
Intel Core i7 920, ASUS P6T Deluxe, 12GB Corsair Dominator PC-12800, Sapphire HD7970, Crucial m300 120GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB, Samsung Spinpoint 1TB, Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, Logitech G510 and G9, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers, Dell U2713HM 27" and 2408WFP 24" monitors
Old 21st Dec 2009, 07:11   #17
bowman
Supermodder

bowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
"You don't need to be playing a game in which you impale, decapitate and dismember people."
Well it's good that you know what I need and what I don't and that you're here to control our lives, god knows we can't do that ourselves. ****ing retards.
bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2009, 13:25   #18
vdbswong
It's a Hedgehod

vdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebbo View Post
that's part of the reasoning by many as to why we should have an 18+ rating here. there are several games with high levels of violence etc that would be put under this new 18+ rating that really shouldn't be fit for 15yo. until then, it's a fight to even have some games released here unedited
Yeah, it's not that i'm against an 18 rating, but there's reason why some games are designed to be for mature audiences only.
vdbswong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 05:12   #19
NaThRo
Minimodder

NaThRo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:

They don't under rate games that deserve an R18+ rating to MA15+ just so they can be sold. They classify them unrateable and are therefore banned ('cause they can't be sold without a rating), exactly like you say in the first paragraph.
We were effectively told AVP2 is rated above MA15+, doesn't get a rating and is therefore banned.

The appeal by Sega got it reclassified. The ratings board effectively telling us "woops, we got the rating wrong the first time, it should really be MA15+".

What is it rated elsewhere in the world?

Quote:
So AVP gets the all-clear but L4D2 doesn't?
I've seen L4D2 on the shelves of my local games shop... What you talkin' 'bout?

I can understand the reluctance to create an R18+ rating for games; it's very different to Movies and TV. How? In those media you see it, in games you're in control and do it.
Quote:
You don't need to be playing a game in which you impale, decapitate and dismember people.
See the difference?

I'm not saying it's right to punish those gamers who aren't easily influenced by these things; I can however understand where the AG is coming from.
-Dogbert
NaThRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 13:26   #20
Sebbo
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaThRo View Post
I've seen L4D2 on the shelves of my local games shop... What you talkin' 'bout?
The L4D2 you see on shelves in Australia is an edited version. The most noticeable things are that there isn't as much blood splatter, there's no Riot Police uncommon infected, and bodies disappear before they hit the ground. Basically the same version that Germany got.