bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 18th Dec 2009, 14:41   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Canonical due to get new CEO

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...-get-new-ceo/1

Canonical - the company behind the Ubuntu Linux distribution - is due to get a new CEO following the news that current head man Mark Shuttleworth is stepping down.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2009, 14:46   #2
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
I was pretty surprised by the move, but I doubt it'll change much.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2009, 20:24   #3
Farting Bob
Supermodder

Farting Bob has yet to learn the way of the DremelFarting Bob has yet to learn the way of the DremelFarting Bob has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Why are so many focusing on cloud computing and online services these days? It will always be a mini segment within a small niche, focusing on bringing ubuntu more into the mainstream will benefit the company more. Cloud computing makes headlines at the moment but few use it.
Farting Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2009, 21:09   #4
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
i dont know i could see people using an online word processor / spreadsheet / presentation package if it is free
Old 18th Dec 2009, 21:58   #5
gnutonian
Supermodder

gnutonian has yet to learn the way of the Dremelgnutonian has yet to learn the way of the Dremelgnutonian has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyb View Post
i dont know i could see people using an online word processor / spreadsheet / presentation package if it is free
There's nothing free about it. In the "cloud", you can't touch the code. Even if it comes at no cost, I can't see the advantages versus a locally stored file. People on the move can learn the miracle technique of "uploading".

Shuttleworth won't be missed (then again, sod Ubuntu). The man simply doesn't get free software and from his mailing list contributions he seems like a total dick. But the latter is just my opinion.

Right, pet peeve time, I'll put it in a small font!
Quote:
Canonical - the company behind the Ubuntu Linux distribution -
I don't use Ubuntu so I'm not an expert, but it comes without any GNU software whatsoever?! Amazing!

"A hierarchical society is only possible on the basis of poverty and ignorance."
gnutonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2009, 22:35   #6
dicobalt
Multimodder

dicobalt has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farting Bob
Why are so many focusing on cloud computing and online services these days? It will always be a mini segment within a small niche, focusing on bringing ubuntu more into the mainstream will benefit the company more. Cloud computing makes headlines at the moment but few use it.
Companies like the cloud because it lets them control your information. Which means they can hold it hostage and charge absolutely silly fees. Just like cell phone providers.
dicobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2009, 09:41   #7
confusis
Kiwi-modder

confusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysis
Am i the only one who read that as Colonical?
confusis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2009, 23:32   #8
Timmytomas
What's a Dremel?

Timmytomas has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i read the colonical too
Timmytomas is offline   Reply With Quote