1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Boreas mTec + H2O loop Hybrid * Completed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by yAnkee, 20 Dec 2009.

1. yAnkee

yAnkee What's a Dremel?

Hey there!

I am new to this forum. A friend linked me to it and suggested I post up my build log here. I am relatively new to the modding world, and this build is my first attempt at modding, however my 2nd attempt at building a watercooled rig. For this build I decided to experiment with a Coolit mTec peltier chiller. I had never used one before, but I thought the best way to learn was to jump in headfirst.

I have copy and pasted all of my entrys from the WCUK forum here to exist as a complete build log.

Enjoy, and feel free to comment or ask any questions.

Regards,
    yAnkee

Posted 03/08/09

Hey there guys,

After debating the value of CoolIT's Boreas mTEC Chiller I decided to give it a go based on a friends first hand experience with it. I am calling this build a "hybrid" because I am using a TEC Chiller as well as a traditional water loop. I haven't decided to what level I am going to go into modding this case further. As you can see from the pics there is only 3 bays on the front panel and then a blank area. I have been pondering cutting the area out below the drive bays to mount an LCD of some sort. I have approximately 4-5cm space between the chiller and the front panel. I am not sure how thick those lcd displays are.

I have begun this build by dismantling my TJ07 and preparing the mobo tray and inside tray to be cut for cable management. I will then be sending it off for powder coating. Internals will all be black with red bits here and there.

Here is the hardware list for the build:

ASUS Rampage II Extreme w/ Koolance NB/SB & QPI Blockas
    Intel i7 965 Extreme w/ CPU-350AT Acetal
    Corsair Dominator DDR3 2000 8-8-8-24 w/ Fan Block
    2X EVGA GTX 280 SSC w/ Koolance VID 428 in SLI
    Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Platinum with Front panel I/O
    2X 150Gig Velociraptors in RAID-0

CPU Cooler CoolIT Boreas Tec Chiller
    Laing D5 Pump with EK Cover
    DangerDen single bay Res
    XSPC Quad RX360
    All Koolance Compression Fittings
    XSPC Black 1/2" ID

Here are my first pics.

B

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 20 Dec 2009
  2. yAnkee

yAnkee What's a Dremel?

Posted 09/08/09

Things are slowly but surely coming along. I have drilled out most of my holes and am almost ready for powder coating. I have been hit with a dilemma though. I found a local PowderCoater here in London that said he would do my whole case for around 50 quid. They seem like a reputable company. But the thing is I am worried about it coming back and not being able to go back together. I know Marucus is damned good at PC'ing but it is quite a bit more expensive, not to mention the shipping! Also I have been drooling over some of those flakes and pearls colors. I particularly like the Black Starlight. Mmmmmm.

I Did accomplish something today that I think is pretty sweet. I turned my boring, drab, creme and brown Noctua's into hot sexy Black & Red fans. How did I do it??? I'll never tell. Oh of course I will tell. I will snap some photos of the next batch I do.

B

[​IMG]

3. yAnkee

yAnkee What's a Dremel?

Posted 11/08/09

Off to the PowderCoaters you go!

Sorry WCUK... I found a guy in my backyard that could do it for me. This is in no way a choice made by quality. If I was rich and money was no object I would have been sending this stuff to Marcus ASAP. Lets just cross our fingers that they do a good job!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also ready to start braiding. Got my first set of fans for the rad daisy chained... thanks to the "How to Dasiy Chain Fans" thread.

[​IMG]

And on the XSPC RX360

[​IMG]

More to come.

4. yAnkee

yAnkee What's a Dremel?

Posted 12/08/09

Pictorial update:

Had some down time and thought I would post up some more pics that I have taken along the way. I need to try and stay more chronological with the pics.

Anyway...

Here are the mods I did to the MoBo tray. I stole the idea for cutting out the back of the CPU block from 'Cobalt's' "ColdFusion" build. Must give props to him for the idea. The only thing I did different was the place where I cut out a notch in the tray so that the 8 pin CPU cable could come over from behind the tray. I noticed on 'Cobalts' that his cable kinda came over the top at an angle. I decided that I would try to alleviate that. See pics for details.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here you can see the part of the angled bit on the tray that I removed to make way for the 8 pin to come straight over.

[​IMG]
    And the results. You can see how it now has a direct line.

Here are some more pictures of my Fan Daisy Chain for my bottom Rad.
    I suck hard at soldering. I wish someone would do a tut on "How to properly solder".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I modded my D5 pump a tiny bit. I have decided to mount the pump so that the inlet is facing up towards my res which is a 5.25" Single Bay Res by Danger Den. I am going to use industrial streangth carpet tape to hold the pump down to the mid tray. The problem was that the power cable came out the back of the pump making it unable to sit level. So I drill a small 4mm hole to run the wires out the side instead. Heatshrink, and braid will come soon after.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the way I am lining up my pump to the Rad on the bottom.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the last update is a small mod I have done to my CPU Block retention bracket. The block and retention bracket on the Boreas is absolutely boring. It is litterally nothing more than a die cut piece of steel. It came with the naff silver screws with philips heads and some naff silver spring coils for the tension. I had a random thought and wondered if perhaps the screws on my Swiftech GTZ might be a match in clearance size. It turns out that the size from the C clip to the begining of the threads that go into the CPU block backplate match perfectly. Also the screws are also the same diameter. The results are as follows.

[​IMG]
    Before

[​IMG]
    As you can see it is MUCH sexier this way.
    I am considering painting the steel bracket RED to match the build.
    Opinions on this????

That's all for now.

B

5. yAnkee

yAnkee What's a Dremel?

So I pimped my TEC. It now more suitably goes with my colour scheme. I am eaither really brave, or really stupid to paint this thing. Not sure how it will react with the extreme temps It is industrial grade automotive paint so it should be ok. If not I will end up tearing her down and taking the covers off the TECs to be anodized or powdercoated. We shall see. The one thing that I am SURE of... is that it looks pretty sweet. I also braided the wires from the pump and fans. I still have some to do for the sensor and the TEC's power, but I'm just not sure how those cables will run yet so I am holding off on that. I also replaced the black coils with some nice metal Koolance ones I found. They are 1/4" coils!! And the best news... they are RED not PINK. lol

Here are the pics of the process...

B

[​IMG]
    How they looked before. Take a deeeeeep breath! I can't believe I am about to paint this thing.

[​IMG]
    Masking off...

[​IMG]
    More Masking...

[​IMG]
    Better safe than sorry...

[​IMG]
    There are 4 of these things!...

[​IMG]
    Plastic bags, and packing tape around the rest...
    Then I did a light sand on the aluminium, and got ready to prime.

[​IMG]
    Red Primer...

[​IMG]
    3 coats and sanded in between each coat.

[​IMG]
    I sanded, and then primed the brackets.

[​IMG]
    Primed and ready for paint! I was going to paint these red and actually did a set red to see how they looked. Then decided to rock the black instead.

[​IMG]
    First impressions of my Flame Red...

[​IMG]
    Satin Black for the brackets...

[​IMG]
    Removing the masking was fun!! Ooooo RED

[​IMG]
    I started to remove the stock coils to put my new red ones on.

[​IMG]
    The bottom TEC with the labels back on. Looks like it came from the factory that way!!

[​IMG]
    Getting read to put the coils on...

[​IMG]
    First set of coils on... They were tough to put on. Metal coils stretch and then you have to fiddle with them to try and get the spacing right, and twist them to make them tight again. Uhg.

[​IMG]
    Braiding the fan cables...

[​IMG]
    Wires were all black so had to label them so I could remember what went where.

[​IMG]
    Starting to look pretty naahs. ;)

[​IMG]
    Nearly Finished...

[​IMG]
    And there she is... Hmmmm Red Goodness.

I think I am going to replace the block on this thing now for sure. I might just use my swiftech GTZ and get some 1/4" Nozzles. Not sure how compression nozzles work on neoprene. Anyone ever used them on Neoprene?

B

6. yAnkee

yAnkee What's a Dremel?

Well... No updates recently due to the fact that I ran into real drama. My powdercoater really F'ed up my case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I shoulda known better. The local guy I hired must only do huge commercial grade projects because A: The finish is not great overall on my case. B: He royally Screwed my side panels. He blamed it on the Anodizing... or some sort of chemical being released from the metal. Anyway... they coated one door 3 times and it looks like ASS. Not only that there is so much buildup on the door panel that I cannot even put the friggin' thing back on. The worst part is that the door he had the problem with is the window side. Then the guy had the balls to tell me when I came it to pick it up that I owed him 300 quid!!!!!!!! This is after telling me that our original quote was 80, when I KNOW he said 60. So i slapped 60 quid on the table, grabbed the side panel, walked out while saying... "Shove it up your ass!"

I am sort of hoping for a backup plan here. I am most likely going to have to get this thing chemically dipped to remove the first 3 failed attempts. Then I am going to have to sweet talk someone to powdercoat a single side panel RAL9005 satin for me.

In other news... Here are some things that ARE going well. lol

I finished braiding my PSU. With RED braiding... not PINK...lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also painted my 92mm silverstone fans to match, just like my Noctuas. I can't really be bothered to upgrade the 92 mils. They are there to move the air around, and are not THAT important. They seem quiet enough, and should be adequate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also redid the daisy chains on the rad fans. They now have braiding in between each fan as wel. I have decided that I am going to wire in a socket to plug the HD Caddy fan into the wire for easy removal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And lastly... This is what the case itself looks like... At least most of the outside looks good!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the Mobo Tray with the MOBO attached.
    (MOBO Still to receive new blocks!!!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally... We are getting CLOSER to looking like a PC!

[​IMG]

Thats all for now.

B

7. yAnkee

yAnkee What's a Dremel?

and by the way... here is the name & shame

[​IMG]

PURPOSE POWDER COATINGS Ltd
    18 Manor Grove
    Peckham
    London
    SE15 1SX
    Noobsville

DO NOT USE THESE PEOPLE FOR ANYTHING LET ALONE A PC CHASSIS.

8. yAnkee

yAnkee What's a Dremel?

Posted 26/08/09

So...

And update to my PowderCoat drama.
    Marcus has said that the only way that I could get this thing repainted was to basically strip the paint off this thing. I had two options... the first was to get it chemically dipped. The 2nd was to use Nitromors to try and remove the coating myself. The problem with option 1 is that is costs money (Money I don't have.) So I decided to roll with the Nitromors. I had no idea how much work it was gonna be. I seriously want to send a bill to the powdercoaters for the hours I put into removing the paint. Unbelievable.

Anyway... Below is the process and the results.

[​IMG]
    This stuff is the DB.

[​IMG]
    First couple of coats didn't seem to do much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This was after about 3 coats.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Really starting to make some progress now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    When the paint actually came off I used a razer scraper... The paint itself looked like rubber latex. It was bizarre. It was like I heatshrinked my side panel!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    After about 15 coats I started with the pressure washer. Seriously... 15 coats. After I pressure washed I did a couple more Nitromors coats, and then pressure washed again.

[​IMG]
    Here she is... all polished up... and ready to be painted again. Uhhhhg.

[​IMG]
    Looks like new!

I also did a bit more braiding. I braided my PCI-E power cables. When I started I was originally intending to braid these cables exactly like I did my PSU... Singly for 15 cm and then grouped together in the middle. I however thought it looked messy. I opted to paint my cables all black under and then braid over the top. Photos below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also got around to braiding my pump.

[​IMG]

That's all for now!

9. yAnkee

yAnkee What's a Dremel?

Posted 03/09/09

I am hoping to get some more work done on her in the next few days. I am waiting for some stuff to be delivered to me from the states. I have to wait because I ordered it and had it shipped to my brother in the states... and then I have to wait for him to send it out to me. One of the things I am waiting for is that Torque driver. Once I get the screws on the TEC down properly then I can start to mount stuff in the case.

Updates soon!

10. yAnkee

yAnkee What's a Dremel?

By the way... I do need to stress. Although from my post on the removal of powder coat I made it look easy. I can assure you that it is NOT easy. It took A LOT of Nitromors. That whole process was over 2 days. I was trying to avoid as much as possible having to scrape away... so I suppose that if you wanted to scrape you could get it done quicker... But I was more... "Slow cooking" it to make the powder fall off on its own. the pressure washer was great... but it could have been removed nearly as easy with some steel wool.

B

11. yAnkee

yAnkee What's a Dremel?

Posted 11/09/09

Holy bejeezus...

This build has had major delays... mostly due to the fact that I am extremely skint, and also because I am awaiting the arrival of some parts purchased in the states. I ordered these:

[​IMG]

And

[​IMG]

I also have these, and the special Torque driver i needed to buy all sitting in a box at my Dad's house in the states. I was planing a trip back this weeks to visit but thats been canceled. Now I get to work out the best way to have him ship it to me without getting charged a buttload on customs.

Will keep you updated....

until then... I have a request.
    Does ANYONE have a spare pair of the stock Silverstone 92mm fans that come with the TJ07? I need 1, and perhaps maybe 2 at some point to finish my build. I am assuming someone out there with a TJ has replaced their stock 92mm's.

B

12. yAnkee

yAnkee What's a Dremel?

Posted 15/09/09

Little update...

So I got a card reader to fill the 2.5 bay slot on the TJ. But there was a problem. The card reader was not able to be pushed all the way back in the slot due to the position of the TEC Chiller. Modding ensued. I basically took this plastic card reader and cut it in half to make it half the size. To be honest I don't understand why they make these things that long anyway when the chip board is only like 3cm. Anyway...

This will be my last update for maybe a month or so until I get back from OZ. :)

[​IMG]
    This was the original size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Cut her in half!

[​IMG]
    Tools for the job. Craft knife and candle. Like a hot knife through butter!

[​IMG]
    Filed nice and flat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Spare piece cut and filed to make the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Perfect fit... Ready to glue.

[​IMG]
    Looks stock. ;)

[​IMG]
    Braided for good measure.

[​IMG]
    Naaahhs.

I've also noticed that my GFX are drooping down do to the weight of the cards. So I developed these rods to suppor them. I will run bolts with rubber washer and a but on each side through the middle. The bottom will have a little rubber nub just to rest on the mid tray .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

B

13. yAnkee

yAnkee What's a Dremel?

Posted 15/09/09

Did I mention by the way that my Coolermaster RM1000 was recalled???? Yeah... so I had to send back the PSU to have it replaced as the modular connectors on mine were faulty. ALL OF THAT BLOODY BRAIDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. yAnkee

yAnkee What's a Dremel?

Posted 20/10/09

You will never believe it but... due to the fact that my original Powder Coater Eff'ed up my side panel I have had to sand her all down and just get the whole thing recoated. Here is to hoping it turns out this time.

B

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. yAnkee

yAnkee What's a Dremel?

Posted 23/10/09

OK... Got the case back today. Richard did a fantastic job. It is not 100% perfect, but the fault is not his. The only way that I could have gotten this to be 100% perfect would have been to get the whole case stripped back to the beginning and start again. There are some puckers and some spots where the paint isn't perfect. But for the most part I am happy.

I would highly recommend Richard to do any of your cases in the London area. His minimum charge is £50.00. He is able to do candys and flakes and all that crap, but he does not stock it so it means ordering the colours in special for each job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here is the worst of the speckling from the shitty undercoat!

B

16. yAnkee

yAnkee What's a Dremel?

Posted 26/10/09

Well... a HUGE event has happened...
    I FINALLY sold my Striker II Extreme so I got the funds to buy my Memory.

Here they are!!!
    [​IMG]

WHey Haaay!

Also got a bunch of these in RED

[​IMG]

Gonna try the socket caps holding on the window. Not sure how it will look as the socket caps will stick out from the window... It will make it look a bit industral me thinks... I will either love it or hate it. I couldn't for the life of me find any dome head M3 bolts anodized Red... if anyone finds any let me know!!!!!

Just need to shift the PSU and were in business!!!
    This is the one I've decided on:
    [​IMG]
    Enermax Revolution 1250W
    (more braiding will ensue!!!!!!!)

Its getting exciting now!!!!!!!

B

17. yAnkee

yAnkee What's a Dremel?

Posted 30/10/09

Well... a HUGE event has happened...
    I FINALLY sold my Striker II Extreme so I got the funds to buy my Memory.

Here they are!!!
    [​IMG]

WHey Haaay!

Also got a bunch of these in RED

[​IMG]

Gonna try the socket caps holding on the window. Not sure how it will look as the socket caps will stick out from the window... It will make it look a bit industral me thinks... I will either love it or hate it. I couldn't for the life of me find any dome head M3 bolts anodized Red... if anyone finds any let me know!!!!!

Just need to shift the PSU and were in business!!!
    This is the one I've decided on:
    [​IMG]
    Enermax Revolution 1250W
    (more braiding will ensue!!!!!!!)

Its getting exciting now!!!!!!!

B

18. yAnkee

yAnkee What's a Dremel?

Posted 07/11/09

Well... I promised Pictures... and I guess I lied. I have been plugging away at a steady pace, and instead of bothering to post up my progress I thought I would wait until I reach a nice milestone and then post up some pics.

I am around 90% finished with the project. Last night I finished routing tubing and completed the mount of the Boreas. I filled the loop and did a leak test and found that my NB block was leaking!!! I tipped it on its side and was luckily able to pop QPI/DRAM part of the block off where it was leaking. It looks as though I didn't line the O Ring up correctly. Got it all back together and no leaks! The question is... How long do I wait before I assume that all the leaked water has dissipated? I am sure it made its way under the NB Block. I am gonna leave it on and fans blowing on her all night tonight and check for any signs of moisture in the morning.

This is what I have left to do:

- Braid PSU
    - Braid SATA DATA cable
    - Still waiting for DVD drive to arrive.
    - Still waiting for Bolts to arrive for Door Panel.
    - Still need to buy 2 more Noctuas. Donations anyone? lol

Anyway... I will try to post up some more pics tomorrow, but until then here is a pic of my bench test setup!

[​IMG]

More tomorrow!!

B

19. yAnkee

yAnkee What's a Dremel?

Posted 21/11/09

Hey guys,
    Been super busy with work. I have the system together but don't want to post up any more pics until its completely finished so as to not spoil when I post up the final pictorial.

What I can tell you is the initial results of my Boreas testing. I have not yet got my OC set I will need some help with this as i7 is all new to me... But what i CAN tell you is this...

Without any tweaking whatsoever with voltages, (Just used the noobish ASUS OC'ing Profiles) I got her up to 4.4... and under load she was running at a cool 18 degrees!

I was able to drop the CPU to below ambient temps. I had it down to 4 degrees, and then started to aquire a little bit of condensation. Basically it seems my only limitations on Temp will be my ambient room temp and humidity level. Once i get a little weather station in my room here I will be able to figure out the exact temps I can safely get without condensation. I reckon I will be able to do very well as my office is an outhouse and is quite cold through the winter.

Anyway... I should have her all buttoned up and ready to show within the next few days.

All I can say is... She has turned out much better than I had even imagined.

Watch this space.

B

20. yAnkee

yAnkee What's a Dremel?

Posted 18/12/09

Ok... so here are the last of the actual build pics. I have already done the photos for the completed project as well, but I will post the last of the build pics up first! Enjoy!

[​IMG]
    Case re-assembled after painting

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Priming the side panel grills.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rover Flame Red applied!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mobo before blocks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    NB.SB Block.

[​IMG]
    QPI/DRAM block.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mosfet Blocks.

[​IMG]
    Stock Blocks removed.

[​IMG]
    NB

[​IMG]
    SB

[​IMG]
    Ceramique applied

[​IMG]
    Block on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mosfets on. I noticed that my compression fittings would not fit on here as they were so I had to buy 45 angle fittings to create the space between the fittings. There is 4 45 angle fittings per mosfet... a total of 8 for two mosfets! Cost me a bit of change for that!

[​IMG]
    Arial view with Ram installed.

[​IMG]
    With the beginnings of tube routing.

[​IMG]
    GPU's on for routing ideas.

[​IMG]
    Using the precision Torque Driver to set TEC bolts to required tension.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Installed into Chassis!

[​IMG]
    Setting the MTEC onto mid tray and planning cable routing, with braiding.

[​IMG]
    The supports I made to keep the GPU from sagging.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I have my rad fans, HD fan, and my pump plugged into this multi fan power block. It is made by Sunbeam and I bought it on Amazon.com in the states.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SLI Bridge before pimpage.

[​IMG]
    SLI Bridge after pimpage.

[​IMG]
    all my fans that were not on a radiator were painted with the same red as my case bits. Rover Flame Red.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]