bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 21st Dec 2009, 11:21   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Microsoft sued over Bing trademark

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...ng-trademark/1

Microsoft is facing a legal battle over the Bing trademark.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2009, 11:34   #2
MaverickWill
Dirty CPC Mackem

MaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run CrysisMaverickWill can run Crysis
Well, Microsoft Bing is a search engine.

Other Bing is an (for want of a better expression) art company. They're not web designers. They're designers, who happen to have a website.

This is a publicity thing, I reckon, and if Microsoft decide to counter-sue, it could be curtains...
Old 21st Dec 2009, 11:34   #3
huddy
What's a Dremel?

huddy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The producers of Friends are also thinking of suing for using the surname of one of their characters.

The owners of Bing Crosby's estate are also considering their position on the matter.
huddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2009, 11:44   #4
alpaca
llama eats dremel

alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
i think it's a 'sue the guy with the most media attention' case
Old 21st Dec 2009, 11:59   #5
DarkLord7854
Pew pew lazerz

DarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickWill View Post
This is a publicity thing, I reckon, and if Microsoft decide to counter-sue, it could be curtains...
I hope they do, teach em a lesson.
Old 21st Dec 2009, 12:38   #6
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I think it's a well calculated exercise in hitching a cheap ride on Microsoft's marketing bandwagon - for a few thousand bucks in legal fees, these guys are getting their name out there in a big way, so much so that their site was the victim of "an unholy Slashdotting". Smart, opportunistic move. I'd be shocked if they don't drop this the minute the media furore dies down and MS responds, as is customary, by burying the little guy under a mountain of paperwork so large that the fees would cripple it before it even got to trial. I'm sure MS has a whole division of its legal army dedicated to taking care of irritations such as this.
Old 21st Dec 2009, 13:01   #7
lacuna
Supermodder

lacuna has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Reminds me of Bill Gates' appearance in The Simpsons: "Buy him out boys"
lacuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2009, 16:13   #8
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
...on a similar account Gmail isn't called Gmail in Germany
(There's an existing company in the mail business that's been using Gmail a lot longer)
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2009, 16:58   #9
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
they should have bought bing.com, and any other form of bing.??? domain names if they wanted sole use, it's another lets join the 'sue microsoft' gang.
Old 21st Dec 2009, 18:50   #10
TobyKing1982
Multimodder

TobyKing1982 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
With the financial muscle Microsoft have that bing software designers seem to have been given very bad legal advice!!
Blue & Red cold cathode
TobyKing1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2009, 21:23   #11
2bdetermine
Multimodder

2bdetermine has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Money pretty much was the motive. Since the whole world slave to money.
2bdetermine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Dec 2009, 01:19   #12
LordPyrinc
Legomaniac

LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
If the company suing was simply named Bing without any other words in the company name I could see a lawsuit, but one word? Come on. This is a frivolous lawsuit and perhaps a publicity stunt. Never had heard of the company until now.

Intel i7-920 @ 2.66GHz - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Windows7 64bit
2 x 150GB WD VelociRaptor HDs (RAID 0) - 1TB WD 7200 rpm HD - 60GB OCZ SSD - 1TB WD External USB HD
2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB Superclocked (Dual SLI) - Razer BlackWidow Ultimate KB
Cooler Master HAF 922 - Antec 850W TruePower Quattro - 27" Samsung S27B550 LED Display
LordPyrinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Dec 2009, 02:03   #13
delriogw
Multimodder

delriogw has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
in fairness - judging by their website, the company are called Bing! and the Information Design is an addition to the name to explain what they do.. their site is named only bing and their icon at the top of the site (whilst pathetically basic) is simply Bing!.

pre microsofts search site, any search for bing would probably bring up their site. (if one could somehow ignore crosby and friends of course)
delriogw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Dec 2009, 03:46   #14
pullmyfoot
superbacon

pullmyfoot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordPyrinc
Come on. This is a frivolous lawsuit and perhaps a publicity stunt. [B]Never had heard of the company until now[B].
thats the point
pullmyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Dec 2009, 06:28   #15
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Rename Bing to Bong, and profit.
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Dec 2009, 08:48   #16
sub routine
Archie Gemel

sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
spot the difference competiton:-

bing

bing information design!
sub routine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Dec 2009, 12:12   #17
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
i still ask why didnt they buy bing.com instead of just bing.biz