bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 23rd Dec 2009, 08:37   #1
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Top 10 Games of The Year 2009

It's that time of year when we take a look back on 2009 and decide what the best games of were. And by 'we' we actually mean 'you', since the results were entirely user-voted this year. What did bit-tech and Custom PC readers think was the best game this year?

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/20...he-year-2009/1

Bindi Edit: Added emphasis.

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 09:05   #2
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The only reason MW2 is above all others is because it is a new released game that people remember freshly in their minds. If it was released in februari and you would ask in December 2010 it would have been on place 9.
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 09:08   #3
UncertainGod
Ultramodder

UncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
woah, I couldn't possibly disagree with that list more, guess it just goes to show the different direction bit-tech has been taking lately.

PSN ID: Sp4rkR4t
UncertainGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 09:24   #4
bogie170
Supermodder

bogie170 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
How dare you put MW2 as best game of the year. It definately isn't. No dedi's, awful balance, no lean, listen servers, hacked to pieces with cheaters, etc.....

Oh but is does have custom graphics settings and mouse and keyboard support.

Bit-tech you make me sick.
bogie170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 09:26   #5
Yemerich
I can has PERSUADETRON?

Yemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF
Obiwan]The only reason MW2 is above all others is because it is a new released game that people remember freshly in their minds. If it was released in februari and you would ask in December 2010 it would have been on place 9.
Ditto.
MW I was much better than this. I also disagree with the "non appearance" of "Men of War". Warhammer is a great game, and I still have it installed in my machine. But Men of War is ten times more strategy than any other in here. GOD! You can shot the enemy vehycle in the wheels so you can repair it for you own use! Any soldier in the game can grab any kind of enemy's weapon. So if you have a machine gunner that run out of ammo, he can grab a rifle and become one rifleman. But with some penalties. You can even man AAs!

The problem is not the list, but the voting method. I really hope that a BT staff list is on the way.

BTW: Broken link in number 8
Hades (Best advanced casemod design CP-Brazil 2010)

Take a look on my projects here.

Last edited by Yemerich; 23rd Dec 2009 at 09:34.
Yemerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 09:42   #6
13eightyfour
Formerly Titanium Angel

13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogie170
How dare you put MW2 as best game of the year. It definately isn't. No dedi's, awful balance, no lean, listen servers, hacked to pieces with cheaters, etc.....

Oh but is does have custom graphics settings and mouse and keyboard support.

Bit-tech you make me sick.
They didnt, this was user voted i think so i suppose we only have ourselves to blame? Although i didnt vote for MW2 alot of the forumites must have.
13eightyfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 09:45   #7
Da_Rude_Baboon
What the?

Da_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
The 'hardcore' PC players are a tiny percentage of MW2's market and i guess this vote by the bit tech readers reinforces that. I do find it amusing that in a vote which excluded console games the game most bit readers would classify as a console game won.
Da_Rude_Baboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 09:49   #8
bogie170
Supermodder

bogie170 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Rude_Baboon
The 'hardcore' PC players are a tiny percentage of MW2's market and i guess this vote by the bit tech readers reinforces that. I do find it amusing that in a vote which excluded console games the game most bit readers would classify as a console game won.
Yes sickening.
bogie170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 09:52   #9
NoMod
Minimodder

NoMod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's funny how I hear people saying MW1 was much better than MW2 blah blah...they all seem to forget all the bugs in that game when it was first released, and some imbalances that were never fixed - like the silenced G3 knife glitch, or the chopper loops (when you get yourself killed before calling in a roflcopter, and it's kills then contribute to your new streak and get you another one in about 30 seconds) or the constant nade spam on maps like wetwork, or the proliferation of the M4/16 RDS + stopping power + deep impact combo (yawn), or the P90 run n spray noobs, or the horrible spawn system that forces everyone onto one flag in domination to be airstriked to death...

While I do miss some aspects if dedicated servers (like being an admin and being able to kick the hackers), I don't miss the flaws with MW1, and feel that MW2 (although not quite perfectly balanced yet, 1887's or commando knife monkeys anyone?) is far more enjoyable and balanced to play. The new perk system is much better, I seldom see two people using the same kits, and the new gamemodes are very cool (demolition being my favorite). Big games I can do without as I always prefered 6v6 tactical games anyway, and the matchmaking system, although infuriating at times means that I can always just jump into a game whenever I get a chance.

It's swings and roundabouts, and although I don't advocate that MW2 is perfect by any stretch - MW1 was not either and it seems people look back on it through rose tinted glasses...
NoMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 09:59   #10
robyholmes
I'm under your desk...

robyholmes has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
MW2 should not have been top!
robyholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 10:05   #11
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
This list was user voted

Also, if it's to do with the fact that it's recent then why aren't more recent games in there and why are older games in the list? Mirror's Edge, Dawn of War 2, Empire: Total War - all rank very highly. Even Batman is older than others and yet came second - by a significant margin too.

Left 4 Dead 2 is MORE recent than Modern Warfare 2 and just as polished and good. By your logic then why isn't that number one? Why is it #3 by quite some distance?

I've had my share of grief lately with MW2, but it honestly baffles me that you guys still don't believe that it's a very popular, actually very good game even at this point. This was a completely open, fair vote decided by you guys, not us.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 10:10   #12
B4TM4N
Ninja

B4TM4N has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
As if Modern Warfare 2 is first. New low.
B4TM4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 10:10   #13
phuzz
This is a title

phuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for president
Perhaps next year BT should have a separate console and PC countdown. I can't see MW2 being many people's favourite PC game...
phuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 10:26   #14
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phuzz
Perhaps next year BT should have a separate console and PC countdown. I can't see MW2 being many people's favourite PC game...
This has been discussed before. We did separate console and PC ones last year and the only thing that happened was that we got less votes and people complained about having to fill in two forms. Then they complained about us having a console award when we're supposed to be a PC site. In reaction to this we did a single big GOTY award that featured only games that had seen a PC release - i.e. no console exclusives.

It doesn't really matter though because, whether people prefer it on PC or console, it should still be representative of the average bit-tech reader (though perhaps not the average forum poster).

People always want it to be different and always complain. You can't have it both ways.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 10:27   #15
Elton
Proud Model M User

Elton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming Saiyan
MW2 has a great single player, a bit re-hashed and rushed, but it was still quite the rollercoaster. I'm not surprised MW2 made it on the list either, I mean the game has the COD name attached to it, and it was a pretty decent sequel to MW1, both of which had flaws.

The fact that Mirrors Edge made the list pretty much makes Bit-Tech a legitimate source, however I will say in defense of MW2 that it is quite polished, and although needing a patch to fix a few OP'ed weapons(and a map that is more open with less camping) it should be pretty decent.

A good compilation seeing as there weren't as many awesome titles this year.
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 10:33   #16
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
As is mentioned numerous times in the article (should you choose to have a read), this list was USER VOTED. That means that you, our readers voted MW2 top - not us humble journos. Not that it's an opinion I disagree with of course.

Sorry vocal minority, silent majority has spoken!
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 10:34   #17
Blademrk
Why so serious?

Blademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That's the problem limiting to a specific platform, I think a lot of people would have voted for the games they like regardless of platform, therefore MW2 would have a lot of votes from both PC players who love it aswell as console players who love it.

I know I voted for Batman:AA and I've only played the Xbox version, and I've only just started playing Borderlands (again on the Xbox) and would have voted for that too if I'd played it prior to voting (it really is a very good game). I've played very few PC games this year (DoW2 and Torchlight being the only 2 from the list).

edit: link to forums doesn't take you to this thread.

My X-Box Live gamertag, PSN, Steam & Nintendo ID is BladeMrk

Last edited by Blademrk; 23rd Dec 2009 at 10:39.
Blademrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 10:36   #18
Horizon
Dremel Worthy

Horizon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Honestly, after playing it MW2 SP was meh at best, i don't see what it is about that everyone is praising. The levels were too linear cleverly hidden tunnels. I got bored half way through the game because it was mostly run-shoot-knife repeat, just wasn't challenging at all (playing on veteran, fyi before someone claims I'm playing it on easy), just mind-numbing.
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 10:37   #19
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
move away from MW2 talks, not much point as it is the most played game on the planet.

Batman AA definitely deserve to be up there, it's the best game i've ever played! a bit repetitive, but only on my second play through.

not a fan of RPG, so didn't enjoy DoW2 a single bit. but Boarderland is pretty satisfying, once a good gun is found, otherwise it's nothing more than a RPG.
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 10:40   #20
Elton
Proud Model M User

Elton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Yes Batman was a great game, and E:TW totally deserved the award, although I'd wish it was higher, although one would sensibly argue that the game itself was(and is still) hella buggy.