bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 23rd Dec 2009, 14:30   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Unreal Engine 3 runs on iPhone

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...ns-on-iphone/1

Epic has shown that the Unreal Engine 3 can be streamlined to even run on an iPhone.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 14:55   #2
skunkmunkey
Supermodder

skunkmunkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.skunkmunkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.skunkmunkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.skunkmunkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.skunkmunkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.skunkmunkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.skunkmunkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.skunkmunkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.skunkmunkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.skunkmunkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.skunkmunkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Looks good, i must say I prefer the on rails style of doom as it gives you more space on the screen and lets you concentrate on shooting stuff. I find the virtual thumbsticks pretty awkward to use with my fat thumbs

New years resolution - Finish my project
skunkmunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 15:08   #3
WildThing
Hypermodder

WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
That's pretty cool, but who would want to play UT3 with thumbsticks, virtual or otherwise lol?!?!
Asus P8P67 PRO Intel i5 2500K @ 4.4GHz Titan Fenrir XFX 6950 @ 6970 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz 2x Crucial C300 128GB (OS + Games) Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Auzentech XFI-Prelude + Creative T7700 7.1 Enermax Liberty 500W Corsair 650D case HP 24" LP2475W Win7 x64
WildThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 18:31   #4
knuck
Hate your face

knuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
why the hell are they wasting time one this instead of doing a proper UT for the pc

argggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

/hopeless rant
| Intel i7 4770K | 12GB DDR3 2000 | Asus Maximus VI Hero | 2xGTX 570 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | 10.5TB total | Seasonic X-1250 | Auzentech Bravura X-Fi | Fractal Design Define R3 XL | Corsair H50 | BenQ XL2420T 120Hz |
knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 18:33   #5
javaman
May irritate Eyes

javaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for president
already beat you to it last night =p other thread
javaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 18:44   #6
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Doesn't this just prove that the engine was lame to start with and was never fully developed for decent hardware even for the time? I mean come on, a mobile phone is supposed to have the same power as a gaming PC thats a few years old? Even at lower resolutions that doesn't stand up.
The so called death of PC gaming isn't anything to do with piracy, just look at the success of WoW and Steam... No it is developers who produce mediocre releases because they are too busy trying to just cash in rather than concentrate on quality.
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 19:34   #7
13eightyfour
Formerly Titanium Angel

13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.
Seems a little pointless to me, my fat thumbs on the screen would mean i wouldnt be able to see sod all.
13eightyfour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2009, 01:02   #8
[PUNK] crompers
Dremedial

[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
you'd need to be plugged into the wall too because im fairly sure you'd get about 20 minutes on battery. nice to see it can do it but for me its just that, a tech demo.
| Main Rig | TJ07B-W | 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Sabertooth Z77 | 8GB Corsair Vengance | EVGA FTW 670 @ 1305Mhz | Samsung 830 128GB |1TB Samsung F3 | EK Supremacy CSQ | EK FC680 CSQ | Corsair HX650W | U2711 | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless | Xonar Essence STX | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm |
| HTPC | Lian Li Q11-B | AMD A10 5800k | ASRock FM2A75M-ITX | 8GB XMS3 2000 | 1TB Seagate | SFX 350W |
[PUNK] crompers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2009, 02:23   #9
ssj12
Hypermodder

ssj12 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghys
why the hell are they wasting time one this instead of doing a proper UT for the pc

argggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

/hopeless rant
Epic has multiple dev teams...
ssj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2009, 09:05   #10
xaser04
Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog
Doesn't this just prove that the engine was lame to start with and was never fully developed for decent hardware even for the time? I mean come on, a mobile phone is supposed to have the same power as a gaming PC thats a few years old? Even at lower resolutions that doesn't stand up.
The so called death of PC gaming isn't anything to do with piracy, just look at the success of WoW and Steam... No it is developers who produce mediocre releases because they are too busy trying to just cash in rather than concentrate on quality.
Um no, it means it can scale really well.

I mean compare this to say Mass effect or GOW.
xaser04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2009, 11:48   #11
BLC
Something witty goes here

BLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Certainly an impressive technical achievement, but whether this flies or flops is going to be down to how good the controls are, IMO. I can't see myself buying it, I doubt very much I'd get on with the control scheme. I managed to adapt to playing FPS's on consoles, but forgot what a joy the mouse & keyboard is. You'd have to prise my mouse & keyboard from my cold dead hands before you try and give me another control scheme.
BLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2009, 19:17   #12
Denis_iii
Ultramodder

Denis_iii has yet to learn the way of the DremelDenis_iii has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
hope game dev's give android 2.1 just as much love as i'm getitng a Nexus ONE asap
Denis_iii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2009, 21:46   #13
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
none of the FPS on the iphone is good, simply can't aim with any touch screen!

if Epic want this to succeed, they need to sell an accessary along with it: mouse.
Old 25th Dec 2009, 10:34   #14
Star*Dagger
Pan-Galactic Revolutionary

Star*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for president
Get Shattered Horizon and DX10/11 to run on it, and then we are talking! No one wants to play 2d FPS games anymore, once they have been in the freedom of 6 degrees of freedom.

*Lets out William Wallace yell FREEEEDOOMMM!*

Shattered Horizon is available now on Steam, come play!
Star*Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Dec 2009, 14:10   #15
spectre456
Ultramodder

spectre456 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelspectre456 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelspectre456 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelspectre456 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelspectre456 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star*Dagger
Get Shattered Horizon and DX10/11 to run on it, and then we are talking! No one wants to play 2d FPS games anymore, once they have been in the freedom of 6 degrees of freedom.

*Lets out William Wallace yell FREEEEDOOMMM!*

Shattered Horizon is available now on Steam, come play!

why are you always peddling this shattered horizon game? i've seen you do it in a quite a few threads and it sometimes seems like a spam post.
mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P Cpu: AMD Phenom 2 X4 945 @ 3.00ghz Gpu: EVGA GTS 450 RAM: OCZ Reapers DDR2 4GB storage: Hitachi Deskstar 320Gb 7200rpm 32Mb cache Case: NZXT Apollo black OS: Windows 7 ultimate x64 keyboard: MS KB mouse: Cooler Master Storm Inferno mousemat: OCZ mouse mat headset: Creative SoundBlaster Arena headset speakers: None
spectre456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Dec 2009, 20:49   #16
knuck
Hate your face

knuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu View Post
none of the FPS on the iphone is good, simply can't aim with any touch screen!

if Epic want this to succeed, they need to sell an accessary along with it: mouse.
the important part of this demonstration however is how the engine runs on an iphone, not UT. The engine can be used for other games that could be playable on the device
| Intel i7 4770K | 12GB DDR3 2000 | Asus Maximus VI Hero | 2xGTX 570 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | 10.5TB total | Seasonic X-1250 | Auzentech Bravura X-Fi | Fractal Design Define R3 XL | Corsair H50 | BenQ XL2420T 120Hz |
knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Dec 2009, 18:40   #17
dec
[blank space]

dec has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
......Epic.....
Old 30th Dec 2009, 20:26   #18
BLC
Something witty goes here

BLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dec View Post
......Epic.....
......Fail.....
BLC is offline   Reply With Quote