bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 24th Dec 2009, 13:33   #1
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.
Project .::District 9::. Cooler Master 840 ATCS Case Mod

This Case Mod was done by bit-tech's MOTM Sponser, Mnpctech!

Customize your PC or window with custom Stickers from Mnpctech HERE

This PC is for the Cooler Master suite at the 2010 CES show. It will be showcasing a Heat Sink design to be announced at the show.

You can watch video in HD here

Final photos

Mitron Interlink Fan Controller was cannibalized and mounted in the rear of the chassis.

The prawn canister resides in the front 5.25 bays, under a single DVD drive.

MNU logo painted on the optical drive face. Did Christopher steal this to access archived files?

Flexible conduit seen through exploded hole in the right side panel.

The Prawn lettering was hand painted. You can download the font, http://www.district9movie.com/downlo...tdownload.html

Rusted and scratches were hand painted on the exterior.

The theme for this PC was inspired by this Prawn Arc gun.

The canvas for the "PRAWN" PC build is the Cooler Master 840 ATCS

Log Update 10/02/09

CNC milled front intake plate with "DISTRICT 9" theme

I've cut the window from Lexan. It's tougher than plexiglass/acrylic, but 2 or 3 times more expensive. It won't shatter or crack "easily" You can buy Lexan sheets at Home Depot, Lowes and some hardware stores like Ace.

The window will be fastened with 1/4" socket head screws, for reinforced armour look

Using center punch to mark each fastener hole.

Using 3/8" drill bit

Using wire cutter to make cracks around the hole

Etching Rotary Tool (or Dremel) Engraving Bits

Using the dremel to emulate some cracks

I'm adding bullet holes to the case too, so I drilled holes in the 840's aluminum panel. I then used a tin snip and needle nose plier to cut and rip the 3/8" hole open

Exploded hole in right side panel.

One of the easiest steps to fit this theme was replacing the OEM handle on the Cooler Master 840 motherboard tray with machined aluminum handle. I had one spare handle left over from our previous stock. The new version has been revised with rounded finger grips, as shown here, http://www.mnpctech.com/MnpctechBill...leGrooved.html

Diamond Knurl Computer Case Feet
http://www.mnpctech.com/Aluminum_Com...Case_Feet.html

1/4" thick acrylic sheets as the reinforced segments of the side panels.

The "Pumpkin" Orange color was done first. The perimeter of the " exploded hole" will be airbrushed by Brad with a burned surface effect

The 840 normally comes with Black frame 230mm fans, no leds.

side panel

Left side panel, the hole will have burned effect airbrushed on later

Flexible conduit cables!

Here is some screen shots taken from the movie trailer on Youtube. I think it's important to have the prawn canister implemented into the case. If Cooler Master had requested watercooling, it would been fun to make a reservoir based on the canister, but the system will be air cooled.

Original Prawn canister from a screen shot taken from the movie.

My canister will be lit with a 4" UV cold cathode, mounted on the inside wall of the back cover.

Once it's painted and the window is darkened a bit, it should look eerie.

canister back cover

for canister window, I'm going to bend a piece of clear 1/8" thick case acrylic, http://www.mnpctech.com/acrylic_colo..._windows1.html

Prawn canister window was tinted like original

RUSTED GPU!

Watch E.E.L. Embiense demonstrate how to use the Sophisticated Finishes products for adding a rust effect to your Mods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Ud9T-doAc

I think Christopher left his scrap PC out in the rain a few times. To create those results, I apply the Iron Surfacer to the top panel first, then the Rust Solution after 10 mins. I repeated these steps over different locations on the exterior. The more Rust Solution you apply, the more Orange colored effect you get.

Last edited by mnpctech; 9th Feb 2012 at 12:48.
mnpctech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2009, 13:33   #2
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.
The lighting needs to be dimmed down a bit,for a more eerie looking feel

Old 24th Dec 2009, 13:38   #3
Colossous
Hypermodder

Colossous can run CrysisColossous can run CrysisColossous can run CrysisColossous can run CrysisColossous can run CrysisColossous can run CrysisColossous can run CrysisColossous can run Crysis
Top notch as ever duder
Colossous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2009, 14:24   #4
Reverse
Reverse/srvR

Reverse has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Have been following it on TMD forums. Looking good Bill!
Old 24th Dec 2009, 16:04   #5
Angel OD
Pump Killer

Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Angel OD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
This is just a thing of beauty!
I love the rust!
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=207889 - Motm nominee
The Theory of Everything http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=219504 - Motm WINNER!
Angel OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2009, 16:21   #6
xDeaDReckoninGx
****ing delete my account,

xDeaDReckoninGx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
nice
xDeaDReckoninGx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2009, 17:38   #7
oatey4519
can't be arsed...

oatey4519 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
very nice job... looks awesome
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz EK HF Nickel Blocked - 8GB Corsair Vengeance RED - EVGA Z77 FTW - 120GB Corsair Force GT - 1TB Samsung F1 - 1TB Samsung F3 - EVGA GTX 660 FTW Sig2 3GB - EVGA GTX 470 x 2 - Coolermaster Silent Pro M1000 W - Corsair 800D - Dell 2209W 1920 x 1080 - ASUS Xonar Dx - Sennheiser PC350 Headphones - Saitek Keyboard & Logitech G9 Mouse
oatey4519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Dec 2009, 11:08   #8
Bu Do
Crazy Kiwi

Bu Do has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Love this mod Keep it up Bill.
Bu Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Dec 2009, 11:23   #9
b1g-d0g
Mod Master

b1g-d0g should be considered for presidentb1g-d0g should be considered for presidentb1g-d0g should be considered for presidentb1g-d0g should be considered for presidentb1g-d0g should be considered for presidentb1g-d0g should be considered for presidentb1g-d0g should be considered for presidentb1g-d0g should be considered for presidentb1g-d0g should be considered for presidentb1g-d0g should be considered for presidentb1g-d0g should be considered for president
I love the detail you put into all your builds Bill
b1g-d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Dec 2009, 12:46   #10
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

Thanks for tuning into this build and commenting!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I've gotta keep plugging away at this, so it's finished in time to be shipped to Vegas for the 2010 CES.

Whats this? It's a cannibalized Mitron Interlink, 3.5" bay fan controller

Old 25th Dec 2009, 12:50   #11
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I am ashamed at you. Your American and faked bullet holes.

I am sure if you went down a firing range some one would help you out, could have made it interesting by marking the location of the desired hole and let them tune there target practice abilities.

Except the fact that the acrylic would have pretty much been totally ruined by a single shot causing massive cracks potentially splitting the whole window into several pieces....
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Dec 2009, 14:18   #12
stonedsurd
Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout21 View Post
I am ashamed at you. You're American and faked bullet holes.
Sorry, had to be done.

But I agree. I would've shot the sucker, just to see what would happen
Old 26th Dec 2009, 14:28   #13
[ZiiP] NaloaC
I Mod, Therefore I Own

[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[ZiiP] NaloaC is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout21 View Post
I am ashamed at you. Your American and faked bullet holes.
This is a valid point. I had a thread in the modding section about shattered acrylic. I took my .22 Ruger and shot some 6mm acrylic and it held perfectly well and the results were fantastic.

.22 subsonic hollow-points silenced. Might incorporate it into something some day.

Liking the look of this build as ever Bill
Sui Generis: i7 920, Corsair H50, 6GB Dominator C7 1600, EVGA x58 SLI LE, Corsair F3 120GB SSD & Samsung EVO 250GB SSD, Samsung F3 1TB x 2, Sapphire R9 290, Corsair HX850W, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Iiyama 26" Prolite, Logitech G15, Logitech G5, Sennheiser PC350.
[ZiiP] NaloaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Dec 2009, 14:54   #14
GravitySmacked
I Mod, Therefore I Own

GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Ooooh very nice indeed!

Find me on Wii U, Xbox Live and PSN under GravitySmacked
GravitySmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Dec 2009, 15:15   #15
badje
boni

badje has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Lol naloc good point, like ur acrilic panels to!

OT: even if the bullet holes aren't real, they still look very nice.
That prawn canister looks nice too, the gray color is cool.
keep on modding
badje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Dec 2009, 22:49   #16
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ZiiP] NaloaC View Post
This is a valid point. I had a thread in the modding section about shattered acrylic. I took my .22 Ruger and shot some 6mm acrylic and it held perfectly well and the results were fantastic.

.22 subsonic hollow-points silenced. Might incorporate it into something some day.

Liking the look of this build as ever Bill
+rep
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Dec 2009, 01:17   #17
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

Creating the illusion is more challenging and more FUN

Mnpctech Painter, Brad Galvin starts the transformation from pristine to weathered and dilapidated. He starts by creating the illusion of a scratched-up exterior, imagine Christopher dragged his computer in the gravel. Did he have to wrestle it away from somebody at one time?

The Orange & White exterior finish has been scratched done to the bare metal. This is done by hand using enamel "One Shot" Silver paint and a paint brush.

Notice the paint is chipped around the bullet holes.
Old 27th Dec 2009, 02:14   #18
PureSilver
E-tailer Tailor

PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Wow, looking good! (As usual!)
PureSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Dec 2009, 12:30   #19
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

Thank you for commenting Pure! Brad has painted a variety of Prawn insignia, language and graphics by hand. The bolts are given weathered effects. Christopher left his PC out in the rain. ....Acid rain perhaps?

There was an expolsion in the right side panel at one time.

Old 27th Dec 2009, 13:10   #20
Kylevdm
The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
DUDE!!! that is insane, love it!
Core i7 920 D0 :: Asus P6T Deluxe v2 :: 6GB Crucial BalistiX :: Asus GTX 570 :: ENERMAX Platimax 850W :: OCZ Agility 3 120GB :: 4x Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB
Kylevdm is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode