bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Recreation > Gaming

Old 28th Dec 2009, 13:23   #1
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Deus Ex (now I've done it)

Couldn't resist the Steam sale and (finally) bought Deus Ex.
(and yes, I blame you Joe Martin)
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/20...fore-you-die/1

After having somehow missed this one in the nineties, I'm happy to see it even scales to 1280x1024*, not bad.

SO, i'm through with the tutorial, slowly getting used to the half-life1 style graphics and about to begin.
Any tipps? necessary do's and dont's? Or just start away and see what mess I'll bring myself into?

Best Regards,

Xir

*on an ATI9600, on the X1800xt it won't go over 1024x768...strange
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080

Last edited by Xir; 28th Dec 2009 at 13:32.
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Dec 2009, 13:27   #2
Gunsmith
Maximum Win

Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.
stealth.
Gunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Dec 2009, 13:36   #3
Sleepstreamer
I modded christmas!

Sleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
don't piss off the robots

Welcome to the club btw
"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo 1989
FSP - AC Ryan - Matrix Orbital - ASUS - G.Skill - Nexustek

Last edited by Sleepstreamer; 28th Dec 2009 at 13:44.
Sleepstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Dec 2009, 15:13   #4
pimonserry
sounds like a party.

pimonserry has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpimonserry has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpimonserry has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpimonserry has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpimonserry has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpimonserry has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpimonserry has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
+1, hide from the robots.

Get Microfibral Muscle instead of Combat Strength, the sword you get later in the game negates Combat Strength (by being kick-arse).
Can't think of anything else, haven't played it for 6 months.

Also, you might want to turn off any mouse software you have, some of it can go a bit awry within Deus Ex.

+REP ME FOR BEING WONDERFUL
pimonserry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Dec 2009, 04:51   #5
wafflesomd
I *am* a Dremel

wafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysis
Make deus ex look pretty.

http://www.moddb.com/games/deus-ex/a...es-for-deus-ex
wafflesomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Dec 2009, 05:58   #6
knuck
Hate your face

knuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
it's the unreal engine so theoretically you should be able to bump the resolution in the ini file quite easily
| Intel i7 4770K | 12GB DDR3 2000 | Asus Maximus VI Hero | 2xGTX 570 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | 10.5TB total | Seasonic X-1250 | Auzentech Bravura X-Fi | Fractal Design Define R3 XL | Corsair H50 | BenQ XL2420T 120Hz |
knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Dec 2009, 10:24   #7
okenobi
Ultramodder

okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.okenobi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghys View Post
it's the unreal engine so theoretically you should be able to bump the resolution in the ini file quite easily
Yep. Google "widescreen Deus Ex" and you'll find the info you need to set the resolution.

It is possible to play the game largely with just the mini-crossbow, but that's hardcore and requires uber-stealth. Robots are to be avoided if practical. Choose your augs carefully and your skills. Trying to retain a broad skillset can work but I find it's usually more helpful to specialize a little bit. That way you can be awesome at lockpicking or electronics or pistols or whatever and depending on the situations you find yourself in, that can be very useful

Oh, and most of all - enjoy. It's an absolute classic.
okenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Dec 2009, 16:16   #8
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Thanks for your advice.
I'd already found the .ini file settings, but as i hadn't played yet on the second rig...there were no
"FullscreenViewport" settings in the file yet.
D'oh!
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
Old 29th Dec 2009, 23:26   #9
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
the pistol is your best friend, the machinegun is useless, so is the shotgun, get a sniper and the crossbow, the gep gun and the run fast and jump high aug can get you out of a tight squeeze, get the anti missile aug that kills enemy rockets... if you want paul denton to survive get out of the hotel using the front door... avoid robots and keep the kick ass sword!!!
Old 30th Dec 2009, 00:28   #10
docodine
killed a guy once

docodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for president
I highly recommend the Skul-Gun, it will be adequate.
docodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Dec 2009, 02:43   #11
javaman
May irritate Eyes

javaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for president
Noooooo............must.......resist .......urge.........to.......install.
javaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jan 2010, 13:31   #12
Dannythemusicman
Minimodder

Dannythemusicman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Damn you i saw this and went looking for my Deus Ex disc...only to find it is no longer in it's case...
Dannythemusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jan 2010, 13:38   #13
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Best tip: Enjoy the game. They don't make them like this anymore.

Xeon E3-1245 v2 3.4 GHz | ASUS P8C WS | 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3 | Samsung 830 256GB | eVGA GTX670 2GB | SB Audigy | Seasonic X-560 | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2209WA
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2010, 16:36   #14
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

my wife's been home before me this week (she works shifts) so i got to spend 0 hours an gaming since last week.
...must...play!
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
Old 6th Jan 2010, 16:56   #15
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Advice for someone just starting the game: Give it some time. The first level can be very overwhelming and there's a lot of hidden content, extra paths and stuff you'll miss out on. You'll find it hard at first, but try to avoid straight out gun fights and don't be afraid to try different things and explore everywhere. Try breaking Gunther out, or not, for example. And killing the guard or hostage at the top of the statue.

Biggest tip: When you see Paul at the start of the game and he offers you a weapon, take the mini-crossbow.

If you find the combat especially difficult then be sure to use the Pepper Spray and Riot Prod together for easy, non-lethal takedowns. At range, put a tranq. dart into someone with the minicrossbow and then just wait for them to pass out. The easiest weapons to use are the mini-crossbow and stealth pistol.

Really, just enjoy the game and be sure to EXPLORE EVERYTHING. Don't use cheats. Make sure you find out what's on the other side of every locked door and talk to everyone about everything.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2010, 17:07   #16
Jimbob94
Supermodder

Jimbob94 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJimbob94 has yet to learn the way of the DremelJimbob94 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thinking of getting it, don't have Steam how much of play.com? value?

Deja Fu: The feeling that somehow, somewhere, you've been kicked in the head like this before.

Do not speak unless it improves on silence
Jimbob94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2010, 17:28   #17
hughwi
Ultramodder

hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I really, really, really wish you hadnt mentioned this! I havent played it in a while, but I am now just itching to bust it out of its jewel case again....
hughwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2010, 17:56   #18
[ZiiP] NaloaC
I Mod, Therefore I Own

[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Hacking, good lord get it skilled up!

First time around playing the game I didn't have the skills to hack the sword and didn't have enough multi-tools, I ran half way back through the game trying to find a damned multi-tool. Got too angry and uninstalled it. Didn't play it for another 3 years I think after that
Sui Generis: i7 920, Corsair H50, 6GB Dominator C7 1600, EVGA x58 SLI LE, Corsair F3 120GB SSD & Samsung EVO 250GB SSD, Samsung F3 1TB x 2, Sapphire R9 290, Corsair HX850W, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Iiyama 26" Prolite, Logitech G15, Logitech G5, Sennheiser PC350.
[ZiiP] NaloaC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2010, 18:47   #19
ChromeX
I *am* a Dremel

ChromeX has yet to learn the way of the DremelChromeX has yet to learn the way of the DremelChromeX has yet to learn the way of the DremelChromeX has yet to learn the way of the DremelChromeX has yet to learn the way of the DremelChromeX has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Try to skill up your sniper weapon skill to master as soon as you can, dont bother training up other weapon skills until you've done this, you can shoot cameras and blow doors of hinges with it. VERY useful. Take the GEP gun at the beginning since you can find the other two easpons offered (sniper rifle, mini crossbow) on the first level. Always explore, the map before commiting (you'd be suprised how many hidden goodies are out there). Be stealthy, go for a silent take down as much as you can, the riot prod will be your friend here. Aside from that, have fun!
ChromeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2010, 19:19   #20
johnnyboy700
Ultramodder

johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.
Don't play it like a standard FPS, you won't last 5 minutes.

The first time I played it I threatened to uninstall it and smash the disc at least twice until I "got it" and realised that it is truly one of the greatest games ever. Personally I don't think any other game since has reached the heights that this game scaled, sure the AI was pretty dumb in places and the way the inventory works is infuriating but whilst these issues could be game killers in a lesser title the joys of the way the game plays means I can dismiss them as insignificant - thats how good I think this game is.
johnnyboy700 is offline   Reply With Quote