bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 29th Dec 2009, 12:56   #1
Claave
You Rebel scum

Claave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The Hardware Hall of Fame

From sports to rockíníroll, a Hall of Fame is a way to recognise brilliance. We've decided to make our own enthusiast Hall of Fame to recognise the best and brightest pieces of PC hardware - and we're also naming and shaming terrible designs in the Hut of FAIL!

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...hall-of-fame/1

Claave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Dec 2009, 13:18   #2
capnPedro
Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
My 8800GTX is chugging along just fine - Modern Warfare runs maxed out at 1680x1050. It definitely deserves its place in the hall of fame!

I <3 Aquatuning & Enermax long time!
capnPedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Dec 2009, 13:32   #3
Sim0n
rm -rf /

Sim0n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Oh well, well... its another "article" ripped out of Custom PC magazine...

I know its Christmas and all, and there isnt much new stuff to review, but recycling the same article people are paying money for in the magazine is getting a little tired now.

Worst still, its covered in MUCH more detail in the magazine, so you've actually reduced the word count on-line.
Sim0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Dec 2009, 13:41   #4
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
There are people who do not read mags Sim0n...

Like me
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Dec 2009, 13:42   #5
Cobalt
Supermodder

Cobalt has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I remember calling the X850XT PE the "Phantom Edition" back in the day. And personally I'd give the award for "Proving that high-end graphics cards can have a decent life span" to the 9800Pro. That thing lasted me ages only finally getting replaced by an X1800XT. That said I was also running at 1024*968 for most of that time.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Dec 2009, 13:50   #6
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.
My 8800GTX was an awesome card...till it died, but it died doing what it loved, Playing games at stupidly high resolutions.

Sam

The Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, SB i3 2350m, 8GB DDR3, 256GB 830 SSD, Intel 6235 Wifi N/BT 4.0, Dell 5550 3G/GPS
The Server: Phenom 2 x6, 8GB DDR3, 3TB Seagate, 2TB WD Green, 2*1TB Samsung F1
samkiller42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Dec 2009, 14:03   #7
Woodspoon
Supermodder

Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.
Hurrah! for the 8800gtx
It's an awesome card, I'm still looking for a reason to upgrade from it and not finding one.
Woodspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Dec 2009, 14:05   #8
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Can i point out that the X850XT PE, (which i have) biggest failing was no shader model 3 support, so it wasn't totally DX9.C compatible. Which caused many headaches!

I miss my old 6800GT clocked at 475mhz,
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Dec 2009, 14:25   #9
bowman
Supermodder

bowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
8800GTX still alive and kicking here. Not looking to upgrade for another two years from the looks of things, either.

My 9800 Pro played HL2 like a champ. Still have it! No AGP ports though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim0n View Post
Oh well, well... its another "article" ripped out of Custom PC magazine...

I know its Christmas and all, and there isnt much new stuff to review, but recycling the same article people are paying money for in the magazine is getting a little tired now.

Worst still, its covered in MUCH more detail in the magazine, so you've actually reduced the word count on-line.
People still buy dead tree sandwiches?
bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Dec 2009, 14:49   #10
wafflesomd
I *am* a Dremel

wafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysis
I owned an Opty 148, Q6000, and a 9700. Yes, they have all been totally awesome.
wafflesomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Dec 2009, 15:08   #11
D-Cyph3r
Gay for Yunosuke

D-Cyph3r has yet to learn the way of the DremelD-Cyph3r has yet to learn the way of the DremelD-Cyph3r has yet to learn the way of the DremelD-Cyph3r has yet to learn the way of the DremelD-Cyph3r has yet to learn the way of the DremelD-Cyph3r has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thank you for mentioning the XCP, still the only PC that really captures the ethos of "Dream PC" imo.
D-Cyph3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Dec 2009, 15:09   #12
Issh
What's a Dremel?

Issh has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
MY 8800GTS still chugging along, what about the Athlon XP 2500?
Issh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Dec 2009, 15:25   #13
frontline
Punish Your Machine

frontline has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfrontline has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
9700 pro, best card i ever owned, lasted well into the HL2 era and source mod games.
Intel Core i7 2600K| Asus P8P67-M PRO R3 | Corsair H70 Hydro Series CPU Cooler |Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Memory Kit CL9 1.65V | Sapphire HD 6990 4GB GDDR5 | Crucial M225 128Gb SSD | Asus Xonar DX | LG W2261VP | Corsair GS800 PSU
frontline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Dec 2009, 15:43   #14
Sheiken
Wat?

Sheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
What about the great Socket A boards? Abit NF7, Epox 8RDA+ and the like.
And I had a Digi Dice, I thought it was pretty cool.....the great thing about being young and dumb
Old 29th Dec 2009, 16:21   #15
cyrilthefish
Ultramodder

cyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysis
My old 9600 pro kept me going for years, i even modded to bios to permanently overclock it
Not quite a 9700 pro, but still decent.

I did giggle at the x850 PE thing, though i must say i was impressed with the x800 card i had, pretty much lasted me until i had to upgrade to a PCIe system

I agree on the intellimouse too, i used mine until the mouse buttons physically wore out
cyrilthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Dec 2009, 16:31   #16
Mustangdelta
Who knew?

Mustangdelta has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Another 8800GTX owner/fan.

Wierd reading the article with a real dejavu, bought the card to experience the DX10 which never came!!!

Like the other posters here who own the card, have always looked for a reason to upgrade but never found one. Maybe in 2010.

Good choices for the hall of fame and great article, regardless of where it came from.
Mustangdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Dec 2009, 16:32   #17
Evildead666
Supermodder

Evildead666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Another one for a bit about the 512k Athlon 2500+
Got my Mobile Athlon 2400+ to 2.6Ghz on water back then.....

My 9500and 9800 pro's overclocked like champs, I think it was 405 and 425MHz.

The 8800GTS-640 was swapped for a 320 version when I got the 4870.

Good Article, but you can never get everything everyone wants

I still use an intellimouse optical with cord, light and functional. Does what it says on the tin.
Old 29th Dec 2009, 16:43   #18
Yemerich
I can has PERSUADETRON?

Yemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Theres not even ONE mod in this haal of fame?
Shame on you bit-tech!

Nice article otherwise.

Here is one happy owner of a 8800 GTS 512! Gotta love that card

And a Q6600 too
Hades (Best advanced casemod design CP-Brazil 2010)

Take a look on my projects here.
Yemerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Dec 2009, 17:03   #19
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Q6600 user here...

Hmm, if you want to expand the Hut, just have a counterpart for every Hall entry. IE, the Worst CPU, worse PSU, etc.
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Dec 2009, 17:57   #20
arshan
What's a Dremel?

arshan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
very good article
arshan is offline   Reply With Quote