Cooling Quiet, yet high cfm 120mm case fans- Reccomend me some!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kamikaze-X, 2 Jan 2010.

1. Kamikaze-X

Kamikaze-X Minimodder

hi,

ok, so i got a new case (Cosmos Pure) and while the original fans were quiet, they don't push much air.

so i stuck my sharkoon silent eagles in there (2 of them) and they shift enough air, but are understandably quite loud at higher speeds, and one of them has developed a weird, almost whistling sound at low RPMs which is irritating the pants off me.

suggestions for quiet, high airflow fans? i have a 92mm chieftec fan and i loved the combination of little noise and high airflow, anyone had any experience with the 120mm ones?

2. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

There must be something wrong with your Silent Eagles. Those are very silent, unless you have a 2000 RPM version. If you really want a good one I'd suggest getting Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1150 RMP fans, like here. For their speed they shift some serious amout of air, plus they have some impressive static pressure, which means that you can even fit one to a water-cooling radiator and it will be fine. I have mine running on 1000 RMP and it's very fine. And quiet.

3. Kamikaze-X

Kamikaze-X Minimodder

yeah i do have the 2000rpm ones.

one is fine (to a point) but the other is making an odd noise at lower RPMs which seems to be due to vibration or an uncentered fan.

4. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Sharky's are good, Nexus fans are better. Not sure where you can get 'em these days, but for a long time they have been (or at least were) considered the best out there for quiet fans.

5. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Bit Tech roundup

Sharkoon Silent Eagles, or Scythe Gentle Typhoons are recommended. Though not the high RPM ones, obviously.

6. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I you want High CFM and Low DBA, take a fan with Fluid Dynamic Bearing like the TT ISGC Fan 12 or with a Syntec-Sleeve bearing like the Emb Papst 4412F/2GL or SSO like Noctua.

Last edited: 2 Jan 2010
  7. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

I've got 3 Sharkoon Silent Eagles (the 1000rpm ones) and they're practically inaudible!

8. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I hope, 1000rpm.

I Bough a Coolermaster R4-L2R-20CR-GP (19dba 2000rpm 90cm Long life sleeve bearing) to replace a Ocz (Protechnic ) MGA12012XB-25 ( 42dba 2ball bearing 2800rpm 94cfm) inside a PSU. The noise is more like a 25dba Fan but for 90cfm I deal with it.