1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Nvidia: Remember who got you where you are today

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Cutter McJ1b, 12 Jan 2010.

1. Cutter McJ1b

Cutter McJ1b Home-cut jibs at discount Prices

2. NikoBellic

NikoBellic Tech Addict

Well... Good bye Nvidia :'-(

I do think that tegra is gonna be massive of course, but Nvidia are forgetting the very succesful Graphics business, and thats not gonna do them any good, afterall, they have many fanboys who only buy Nvidia GPUs, but if they're forced to buy ATI, then they'll slowly stop being such an Nvidia fanboy, and that'll lose them alot of their free marketing....

Last edited: 12 Jan 2010
  3. Tim S

Tim S OG

Jen-Hsun has always been CEO.

4. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

so thats alot of bad then

5. salesman

salesman Minimodder

I never thought the gpu war would come to something like this. It would be almost like if Intel decided to branch away from making cpus. I would really be surprised if Nvidia really did let Amd run away with the performance crown for gpus..

6. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

That us the longest sentence I have seen in a while.

7. NikoBellic

NikoBellic Tech Addict

Ahhh... my bad, I thought I read somewhere that jen became the CEO in 2005 :confused:

8. GamingHobo

GamingHobo What's a Dremel?

To be fair, CES is a consumer electronics show. Stands to reason it would want to talk about its consumer tech product...

9. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

Well I have always bought Nvidia after a bad experience with an Ati card years ago but really Im no fan boy I go where the power is which is why I went to Intel when the core2's came out. If nvidia go with the mass market mainstream stuff then well that will be good for them and anyone who uses tegra stuff but I for one would have no problems going ATi however a completely monopolistic gpu arena will mean Ati can make any old basic improvement and slap £400 quid on it and what choice will we have.

10. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

There's no way on earth the product can be dropped just like that. To do such a thing would be akin to dividing zero by fail.

11. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Exactly! And a point that possibly should have been addressed. There are other shows and plenty of other means to demonstrate new GPUs such as the mythical fermi so I wouldnt get too down about it. It took ATI a year and a bit to release anything that could tackle the 8800gts never mind the 8800gtx. Itll all arive soon. With every company there is a yo-yo effect and this time ati happens to be at the top with their legs dangling.

Andy

12. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

It wont come to a point of becoming a monopoly as there a laws against such things. Ati will have to play fair if nvidia did fall from the sky.

Andy

13. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

If nVidia does indeed pull out of pc components I for one will be sorry. While currently ATI is the superior hardware (and has been for a while) the fact there was competition was good for us, driving development forward. I hope they realise their mistake and perhaps get back into gpus in a big way once their revenue picks up.

14. NikoBellic

NikoBellic Tech Addict

+1

15. SNiiPE_DoGG

SNiiPE_DoGG Engineering The Extreme

Nvidia has a lot of stock piled rep with the average joe computer builder/buyer who doesnt even approach the level of understanding we do on these tech forums, so they can milk that for a while.

Myself being personally not very favorable towards Nvidia, I must say my zune HD with tegra can really browse a web page fast. I dont doubt they have a great processor going for them there. But in all reality - When has Nvidia ever done anything that did not have the highest possible fiscal reward for them? They are a business and as such they are perfectly able to see that the performance hungry games of former days are no longer existent on the PC. Heck they clearly have known for a long time that their GPU from 2005 can still run pretty much every game out there at the average joe 1280x1024 resolution.

So while we may want Nvidia to keep pushing the envelope and dumping millions into R&D in an epic battle with AMD, thats just not going to happen. Fiscally it makes no sense.

On the other hand our culture is seeing the rise of the casual gamer and they are a powerful foirce - people, and I say that classifying the vast majority, want to play Farmville :)wallbash:). Nvidia knows this, one needs only to look at the profits made by Zynga on facebook apps this year to know where they can make their money at.

Another huge indicator of where the market has shifted to is the PSP and Wii. On these platforms (missing citation) 45% of the gamers who play more than 1 hour a week of these two consoles are Female. Thats huge, where you once had a vastly male population of gamers you've now given yourself an outlet to the other half of the people in the world, the girls.

In conclusion: As much as we would like nvidia to stick around and play the ponies in the high end GPU market, they are going for the mutual fund and the emerging trends that will make them the money they so greatly lust for.

16. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

17. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

sooo true sniipe

18. MacWalka

MacWalka What's a Dremel?

I was about to write something very simlar but nowhere as detailed.

I wouldn't put myself into the hardcore hardcore gamer envelope like a lot of people here. But I would say I'm a lot more clued up than the majority of people who play games these days.

I can see that it makes no sense for them to shove a load into R&D for new GPUs for PCs just now. There just isn't the market for it with very few PC games pushing the boundaries now and it looks like there won't be a new generation of consoles for a few years for them to try and get some product into either.

The casual gamer is where its at for making money just now. Unfortunately I think this means that AMD/ATI won't be pushing as hard to get cutting edge tech on the table either. However it may mean the end of "The way it's meant to be played" with games and GPUs being more universal.

19. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

One thing I don't get about Nvidia, most (not the Mac Pro and some iMac's) use Nvidia chipsets and GPU's, so if Apple are as popular as Jobs and the fanboys like to make out, why aren't hey making a killing on this platform ?

20. DarthBeavis

DarthBeavis What's a Dremel?

I have a little different view on this as I have been allowed on the inside. They are not turning away from the GPU market they are diversifying and leveraging technology from their other market segments to differentiate themselves. Do some research into their other technologies like Tesla ;)
    Next, do some research into GPU sales to see where most sales occur. The casual gamer is not even the demographic where the dollars go. What they are doing is trying to add value to the gaming market by adding depth and breadth to the gaming experience with robust features such as 3d Stereo and improved physics. I realize some people say 3d is a gimmick - and then they admit they have not even tried Nvidia's 3d when I question them deeper. I demo 3d Stereo to many people at many events (PAX where I worked the Nvidia booth and many LANS where I bring my own setup including a 60" DLP that works with their 3d). People love it. Period. Heck, at Intel I had tons of Intel engineers with their mouths gaped.

Tags: Add Tags