1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding First attempt at braiding - praise, criticism or insults welcome.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Byron C, 16 Jan 2010.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Evenin'

As the title says, I made my first attempt at braiding cables earlier. I was wandering round Maplin and they had a braiding kit for £10 - couldn't refuse at that price, so I thought I'd give it a go. Though I have run out of heatshrink tubing, so another visit will be needed...

I tested it out on my fans first and found it quite easy, so I thought I'd have a crack at the power supply. The easiness stopped there. Taking the pins out of the molex connectors was the fiddliest thing I have done inside a computer in a very long time. I haven't even attempted to do the ATX power connector - I have no idea how I'd get the pins out of the plastic, and I would very likely wire it up wrong and fry a perfectly good board... Anyway, a picture speaks a thousand words.

Ahem...Ignore the SATA & power cables at the bottom...

[​IMG]

As you can see, there were some fail moments. Probably because I was using a lighter to shrink the tubing - what does everyone else use? I managed to burn some of the braiding in my ineptitude... Ironically, this photo is the 666th that my camera has taken...

[​IMG]

It's not exactly a pretty looking case, but the braiding definitely makes things a little tidier.

[​IMG]

I've not done any major modding projects before, so this is sort of a dry run... Comments, tips, advice, criticisms, insults, etc, welcome.

Last edited: 16 Jan 2010
  2. St3ph

St3ph What's a Dremel?

For the first time ever it turned out ok... burning your sleeve is very annoying o_O

I am using a small hairdryer to shrink my heat shrink tube ;) I am burning everything when I use a lighter :D
    That your kit was that cheap is no surprise judging by its quality! You don't have this cool "one colour effect" because the cables shine through the sleeve.
    To seperate the cables from the connectors you can buy special tools. An easy way to remember the way you should wire up the cables is to take a photo of the connector.

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah, I realised that when I sleeved the first fan - to be honest, I wasn't expecting much from a kit that cost a tenner. But I didn't want to spend loads of money on something and then screw it up; as mentioned, this isn't really part of any larger project, so I'm not really going for any kind of look. It doesn't look that bad IRL - the flash on my camera is rather bright...

I did think of using a hairdryer, but I wasn't sure if it'd be warm enough. Even if I hadn't burned the braiding, I won't be using a lighter again because I burned my thumb on it....! :)

4. St3ph

St3ph What's a Dremel?

I know what you're talking about :D my first sleeving was with a cheap kit, too.
    I'm happy with the hairdryer. But it's hard to focus the heat on the heatshrink tubing :sigh:

5. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

A heat gun is good for it, even cheapo ones that come with the various nozzles so that you can direct the airflow a bit better.

Not bad for a first attempt. I jumped in the deep end with sleeving and got MDPC stuff, so I was extra cautious with the lighter (my heatgun has vanished somewhere....)

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I've just picked up some more heatshrink tubing, so I'm gonna have a crack at the rest of the cables later.

7. lenne0815

lenne0815 What has been seen cannot be unseen

oi mate, first of all u should have removed allt that dust ! thatll do more for ur pc than cable sleeving :D

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Bah, I like my dust just exactly where it is! ;)

9. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Braid everything, and paint the inside other than the steel/plain color. :rock: