bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 18th Jan 2010, 09:08   #1
Claave
You Rebel scum

Claave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Silent Fibreglass PC by Keir Graham

Silent Fibreglass PC caught our attention in 2009 thanks to its unique design and features. A custom water cooling radiator, PS3-esque design and the fact Keir had the skills to make this for a school project saw the project nominated for Mod of the Year too.

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/case...-kier-graham/1

Claave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2010, 09:26   #2
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Is it my imagination, or are there 2 different PCs in there in different shots?

Either way, an awesome build! good work.
Old 18th Jan 2010, 10:38   #3
Bad_cancer
Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

Bad_cancer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
iirc he changed the design a bit towards the end.
As is prone to happen on most projects
this was fun to follow, happy to see it on the front page!

Q9550 | Evga 790i ultra sli | 4gb Ram | 2x Gtx460 (1gb) | 1Tb storage | Icute titanium 750w |
Cold lava~MOTM Nominee May 2010.
Bad_cancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2010, 11:02   #4
BlackMage23
RPG Loving Freak

BlackMage23 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very nice, but that DVD drive ruins the look a bit on the side.
Old 18th Jan 2010, 11:55   #5
death_munky
F*** the dremel, i'll use my teeth

death_munky has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What a great project on a tight budget. I think the final result looks really good and the finsh is excellent (fibreglass is a proper PITA to work with)
death_munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2010, 14:05   #6
Cyberpower-UK
Professional Overclocker

Cyberpower-UK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That is a really nice looking system. Did you ever consider fitting a screen instead of a door?
Old 18th Jan 2010, 14:18   #7
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Honestly, (not sour grapes, before anyone insists about it) if I had access to such equipment I think I probably would have done something like that. DnT class in my secondary school only gave me access to small small planks of wood and wood working machines. Hardly the most efficient way of building a casing.

Not to mention how irritating it would be if the wood warped and wrecked my PC. Near the end of the DnT course spanning 2 years we had access to metal... Small pieces of metal smaller than a name card. While admittedly a PC built out of such materials would not only be amusing but amazing, I am not one blessed with patience. :X
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2010, 14:39   #8
Zero_UK
Hypermodder

Zero_UK is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zero_UK is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zero_UK is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zero_UK is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zero_UK is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zero_UK is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zero_UK is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zero_UK is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zero_UK is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zero_UK is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zero_UK is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
That does look amazing, a shame that the actual hardware had to be budget .

Looks fricken sweet though.
Zero_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2010, 16:30   #9
benji2412
Has an Avatar avatar

benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.
I'm pretty amazed you managed to get an AMD Athlon 64 X2 to 4.6 GHz. How'd you manage that one? What are the temps like?
Old 18th Jan 2010, 17:07   #10
Farfalho
Supermodder

Farfalho has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If you could or can find an slot-in drive, that would me much pleasing and follows the looks on the side.

Great thing done there and lots of dedication. As cyberpower-uk said, I also thought of a screen in there instead of a clear acrylic but that would have increase the dimensions and cramp the space a little so it was good you didn't do it. And some cable tidying would be more pleasant to the eye.

Lucky for having such equipment at your disposal, great job
Farfalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2010, 17:13   #11
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
This case makes me happy.
And apparently itself as well.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2010, 18:38   #12
riekmaharg2
has finished Blue Horizon

riekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thanks for all the comments everyone I seem to have missed the PC specs the ones listed are my old set up, my new set up is:

Full system specs:

CPU – Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.8ghz
GPU – Radeon HD3850
CD/DVD - Samsung dual layer DVD/CD writer
Hard disks – 1TB Samsung 7200 rpm, 120Gb Samsung 7200rpm
Memory – Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600mhz 6GB (3 x 2GB sticks)
Motherboard – MSI X48C Platinium
Powersupply – Colorsit 550w with modded 12cm rubber mounted silent fan
Water-cooling – XSPC Laing DCC (18w) with acrylic top, Zalman ZM-WB5 CPU block, Zalman ZM-GWB3 VGA block, clear 10mm ID 15mm OD tubing with a custom made radiator.

The temps are 30C idle and around 45C while cherning through Supreme Commander - FA at 1920x1080 , the GPU is also overclocked to 705mhz from 668mhz.

I thought about having a screen in the case instead of the panel, however I wanted a much larger screen than one that would have fit in, so I decided to have the parts visible instead of a secondary screen. Some of the pics at the end are of the old version of the case which didn't have a nice interior and the paint wasnt anywhere near as good as it is now. My school was also terrible with the supplied DnT facilities most of the machinery and materials I used where from else where.

I think I've answered everyones questions Please feel free to ask more.

Silent Fiberglass PC

Completed * Blue Horizon * - 2012
riekmaharg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2010, 22:06   #13
VaLkyR-Assassin
Multimodder

VaLkyR-Assassin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That's really impressive work to create that case - it's great to see the photographs of each stage to see how you turned the raw parts into a beautifully crafted piece of art.
VaLkyR-Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2010, 02:33   #14
Freedom
Hypermodder

Freedom has yet to learn the way of the DremelFreedom has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice case. Screen shot of the temps please not entirely convinced by the cool arrangements though.
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2010, 10:01   #15
woodss
Yes Louis Wu

woodss has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by death_munky View Post
What a great project on a tight budget. I think the final result looks really good and the finsh is excellent (fibreglass is a proper PITA to work with)
Understatement...fibreglass is the ultimate PITA to work with...itd be easier to make the thing out of clay.
woodss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2010, 11:26   #16
riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thanks for comments, heres the idle temps screen shot: http://lh4.ggpht.com/_KpdIa2r2QgQ/S1...le%20temps.jpg

The graphics card is always a higher temp for some reason I think the GPU block is a bit crappy.

Silent Fiberglass PC

Old 19th Jan 2010, 11:45   #17
woodss
Yes Louis Wu

woodss has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by riekmaharg2 View Post
Thanks for comments, heres the idle temps screen shot: http://lh4.ggpht.com/_KpdIa2r2QgQ/S1...le%20temps.jpg

The graphics card is always a higher temp for some reason I think the GPU block is a bit crappy.
Very Nice
woodss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2010, 19:21   #18
akibro
hmmm....

akibro has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm suitably impressed! good work with what you had available! I will always admire someone with patience enough to make a case like that, makes me wanna think about doing something again
akibro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2010, 11:54   #19
Abdul Hadi
Technically, I wanna be tim!

Abdul Hadi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great Paint finish Man. I'm really impressed. Practical approach to cooling. Though I find the inside of the case asthetically mmmmmmmmmmmm.......... Boaring. I mean not beautiful. better be a plain finished paint.
Old 25th Jan 2010, 17:17   #20
riekmaharg2

Thanks akibro, and abdul, the main reason the inside isnt as good as the outside is because I only planned to make the inside visible very late into the build, so by that point there wasnt much that I could do unfortunately.

Silent Fiberglass PC