bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 18th Jan 2010, 10:24   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Dell Froot screenless concept PC

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...s-concept-pc/1

Dell has released concept renderings of an all-in-one PC it dubs the 'Froot,' which dispenses entirely with a keyboard or monitor - favouring a pair of projectors instead.

CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2010, 10:27   #2
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Err...

No.

You ever used that keyboard projection thing that thinkgeek sell?

Hurts like hell for extended use - I expect that would be much the same.

Stay as a concept.
2008 Mondeo estate
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2010, 10:32   #3
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Where's the mouse?
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2010, 10:35   #4
Phil Rhodes
Hypernobber

Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Oh yes fantastic. Projection! High cost, high power consumption, high maintenance, delicate, dim and tricky to set up - let's send them to the developing world!

To be fair, though, I suspect this is probably one of those little LED-based micro-projectors or something, which does alleviate a lot of the concerns with doing it. And means it'd be even dimmer.
Phil Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2010, 10:37   #5
Bursar
Hypermodder

Bursar has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
In theory it wouldn't need one. They could just reserve an area of the keyboard projection for you to doodle your finger around in to move the mouse cursor.
Old 18th Jan 2010, 11:08   #6
Fruitloaf
Tinkerer

Fruitloaf - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Fruitloaf - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Fruitloaf - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Fruitloaf - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Fruitloaf - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Fruitloaf - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Fruitloaf - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Fruitloaf - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Fruitloaf - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Fruitloaf - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Fruitloaf - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Rubbish for the developing world but great for mobile presentations? Small atom PC built on semi decent pico projector with touchpad surface on top and laser keyboard. No wires at all for those mobile presentations except for power. Maybe not this prototype but its not far off.
Fruitloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2010, 11:17   #7
mi1ez
Ultramodder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Can it play video at a decent resolution?
Old 18th Jan 2010, 11:25   #8
PureSilver
E-tailer Tailor

PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PureSilver is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Why on Earth would you want to send a biodegradable computer to the developing world, where rough conditions and the aforementioned lack of support will ensure it rapidly... biodegrades?
PureSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2010, 11:25   #9
bodkin
Overheating

bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Why XP?
bodkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2010, 11:37   #10
wgy
Supermodder

wgy has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwgy has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwgy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
this is silly...

this is less practical that a full desktop pc and requires more variables and conditions to be considered.

want to reinvent the way we interface with tech? dont dress up a typewriter and mouse limited to 2 axis with lasers and light shows and call it the future.
wgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2010, 11:44   #11
BLC
Something witty goes here

BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.
I agree with most here - this is quite possibly the daftest idea I've seen in a long time... If you want to help developing nations with computers, then get behind the OLPC or one of the other schemes already underway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitloaf
Rubbish for the developing world but great for mobile presentations? Small atom PC built on semi decent pico projector with touchpad surface on top and laser keyboard. No wires at all for those mobile presentations except for power. Maybe not this prototype but its not far off.
Mobile presentations could be one use, but this is sort of over-engineering the solution to a problem that doesn't really exist - they'd be hard pressed to market it to anyone other than those interested in a sleek looking gadget with money to burn. VGA projectors aren't that expensive or bulky these days, and neither are low-power netbooks - I've used my Mini 9 for the odd presentation in work, it's incredibly handy.
BLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2010, 12:12   #12
Drexial
Supermodder

Drexial has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodkin
Why XP?
Apparently the future of PC's is XP....
Drexial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2010, 12:13   #13
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So you have to be sat in front of a blank wall to use it. Useless.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2010, 13:08   #14
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3v1ck
So you have to be sat in front of a blank wall to use it. Useless.
Or pay a starving orphan to stand there holding up a big blank sheet.

This PC increases employment, it must be good!
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2010, 13:13   #15
pizan
that's n00b-tastic

pizan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi1ez
can it play Crysis?
Old 18th Jan 2010, 13:28   #16
Cyberpower-UK
Professional Overclocker

Cyberpower-UK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
A nice add on function for a high end phone or camera but I can't see this taking off.
Old 18th Jan 2010, 14:59   #17
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
a biodegradable, sustainable computer concept
...well I'm really interested how they are going to replace silicon with something biodegradable...
...carbon interconnects? (could work as long as you fill up on liquid nitrogen)
...non-precious (poison) metal barriers/gates?
ooh..how to manufacture a biodegradable LED-pico-projector?

Don't Dell have..well...anything BETTER to do?
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2010, 16:28   #18
Bursar
Hypermodder

Bursar has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Chances are Dell haven't done very much on this at all. They probably just hired a 'creative agency', gave them some buzzwords and basic ideas and the result is the above render.
Old 18th Jan 2010, 16:45   #19
Farfalho
Supermodder

Farfalho has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi1ez
can it play Crysis?
You beat me to it xD
Farfalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2010, 17:58   #20
Azayles
Supermodder

Azayles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodkin
Why XP?
XP has been found to be well suited for low power SFF applications like netbooks and "all in one" devices such as this horrendous purple monstrosity. That's why Microsoft have extended the support lifetime for the product.

Also it's better than Vista
http://xkcd.com/528/