1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Acer announces eco-laptops

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 Jan 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. woodss

woodss Yes Louis Wu

They will do well promo'ing eco solutions in 2010...it seems to be the year of green

3. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

'Eco-friendly" is the last thing on my mind when it comes to hardware. In fact, I'd be more inclined to buy something if it had a killcount for how many animals had died due to its production.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

so you are not a vegetarian?

it's like cars, the manufacturing of its product isn't that much more eco than other normal ones, so what's the point?

5. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

I bet they come with the usual 'eco' inflated price tag

6. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

eco for me means slow and ****

7. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Perhaps their pick-and-place robots will be made of bamboo and work on manure? Or perhaps they will replace the indium in their screens with carbon nanotubes? :lol:

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

QFT. The devices that are churned out by the manufacturing processes certainly do contain hazardous materials, the biggest eco-killers are the manufacturing processes themselves.

I think that the notion of an "eco-friendly" gadget/computer is pure fiction. They still need heavy industry/manufacturing to make them, and heavy industry/manufacturing isn't exactly known for being green.

9. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Someone else jumping on the 'eco' bandwagon. It's like the 'energy saver' lightbulbs... they might use less electricity, but they contain mercury. Last time I checked, mercury was pretty damned bad for any ecology it contaminated.

And... I dunno about anyone else, but I find the idea of making a laptop that is going to 'biodegrade' on me to be rather worrisome. Most of the biodegradable plastics are damaged quickly by sunlight... I don't fancy a laptop that just disintegrates on me after a few years of using it.

10. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Yes, but manufacturers do. Built in obsolence is a manufacturer's dream. Most manufacturers HATE the second hand markets with a passion and would love for every product to be replaced every three years. Just look at how many recent cars fail their first MOT.

11. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

The statement that Greenpeace exhorts it was a complete turn-off for me. What does it have for a CPU, a wooden abacus? Yes, these things are toxic but how much of the environmental impact actually comes from the case? In contrast to the electronics, where we have platinum in the HDD and various other nasties, such as gold, copper and smaller amounts of other heavy metals such as cadmium in the boards. And its never the cases we see in 'green' videos being roasted on the streets of China to get the chips off.
    Also, where does the casings come from? I bet the biodegradable plastic has more environmental impact than a more established variety.

12. Fruitloaf

Fruitloaf Tinkerer

Biodegradeable? Does that mean I need to keep it in the fridge?

Tags: Add Tags