bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 22nd Jan 2010, 12:21   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
BioShock 2 DRM detailed in full

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...iled-in-full/1

2K has fully explained how DRM will work for the upcoming BioShock 2.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 12:35   #2
Er-El
Supermodder

Er-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
And with 15 activation limits this is going to avoid second-hand sales how? It's not! This SecuRom rubbish serves no purpose apart from wasting everyone's time.
Er-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 12:37   #3
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Just buy it off Steam... or pirate it as a protest to DRM.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 12:41   #4
smc8788
potato

smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxess View Post
And that would help how? You would still have the GFWL activation limit.

As much as people complain about its unreliability upon release of new games, Steamworks is an infinitely better DRM solution than either of these POS.

[Steam] - [Battlelog]
smc8788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 12:47   #5
13eightyfour
Formerly Titanium Angel

13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxess View Post
or pirate it as a protest to DRM.
I hope that was meant as joke!

I dont see why games purchased through steam still need GFWL its a pain in the ass, Take GTA IV for instance, i have it on steam but to play it, i need to have steam,Rockstar social shite, and GFWL to run it.

Now im no genius but surely steam would be the only thing needed if the game was bought from it.

If we had cross platform multiplayer then having a pc game using GFWL would be a good thing imo but as it is its just another thing i dont need but am forced to use.
13eightyfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 12:48   #6
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
hmm. Everyone complains about the max 3 or 5 times activation ob bio1. and now it is raised to 15 times and you still complain. I don't get it., I do not have 15 pc's. Not even to mention the install it on 5 pc's for my own usage.

P.s. BitTech; Where are all the reviews of all the new hardware, Like the GF100, new motherboards and the like? Or are you all still in winter recession? Ah never mind i now know why. Ok you are great again
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!

Last edited by [USRF]Obiwan; 22nd Jan 2010 at 12:55.
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 12:49   #7
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
With SecoROM on the hard copies, I'll be getting a digital version. There's no way I'm letting that malware on my PC.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 12:49   #8
Silver51
I cast flare!

Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
... Games for Windows Live ...
That is... just awful.
Silver51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 12:53   #9
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Er-El View Post
And with 15 activation limits this is going to avoid second-hand sales how? It's not! This SecuRom rubbish serves no purpose apart from wasting everyone's time.
Steam and online stores ALREADY prohibit second hand sales. I had dinner this week with a guy who used to work for Universal Studios and Vivendi and from his (business) perspective they absolutely love it.

It's nice that they don't detail how exactly you "contact Microsoft", like there's this one person in one of the largest companies in the world, waiting on the end of a phone or email.

Why do companies feel the need to go with Steam AND G4WL?? Just to have the ****ing Xbox integration. Surely the fact I have to fill my resources with ONE background application just to load it is enough.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 12:54   #10
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF
Obiwan]
P.s. BitTech; Where are all the reviews of all the new hardware, Like the GF100, new motherboards and the like? Or are you all still in winter recession?
http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2010/01...but-who-knows/
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 12:57   #11
Kúsař
regular bit-tech reader

Kúsař has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm perfectly fine with securom disc protection, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. I'm more concerned by GFWL crap, 15 activations? They should use Steam DRM instead of pointless restrictions.
Kúsař is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 13:00   #12
lp1988
Ultramodder

lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.lp1988 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxess
I do have boxed games that i only installed ones, and found out that the pirated version worked better and easier. one of the first things i do with a new game bought boxed is to put in a no cd crack.

one reason steam is great, no cd's

NE AUDERIS DELERE ORBEM RIGIDUM MEUM.
lp1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 13:01   #13
veato
I should be working

veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I thought 15 activations seems quite reasonable. GFWL is shite though.
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 13:09   #14
PureSilver
E-tailer Tailor

PureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Agreed. 15 activations is a lot of installs, even for me, so it's not going to be a dealbreaker.

It's still bloody annoying, though. Isn't Steam enough DRM for these douchebags?
PureSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 13:11   #15
Omnituens
Hypermodder

Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Yup, as soon as I read Games for Windows Live, I lost interest.
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 13:26   #16
Dave Lister
Hypermodder

Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lp1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxess
I do have boxed games that i only installed ones, and found out that the pirated version worked better and easier. one of the first things i do with a new game bought boxed is to put in a no cd crack.

one reason steam is great, no cd's
+1

I always try and get a nocd crack put on before i even try and boot the game.

These activation limits to me make it feel like your renting the games instead of owning them. Microsoft will probably find a way of extracting more money from you if you do install more than 15 times too !
Main Rig:Case: BitFenix Prodigy, Motherboard: MSI Z97I Gaming, CPU: Intel i7 4790K, RAM: 16Gb 2400Mhz Kingston HyperX Beast GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming, Primary HDD: 256Gb Samsung 850 Pro, Games Drive: 1Tb Toshiba SSHD, Cooler: Corsair H105, OS: Win 7 - 64
HTPC:Case: Gutted out VCR, Motherboard: Asus AT5IONT-I, CPU: Intel Atom D525 @ 1.94Ghz, RAM: 4Gb 1333Mhz Kingston GPU: Nvidia Ion 2, Primary HDD: Hitachi 500Gb, Optical Drive: NEC ND-6500A Laptop Drive, OS: Win 8.1 32
Dave Lister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 13:32   #17
sear

I really don't have a problem with this. I admit I've become a bit of an achievement whore in the last few years, so having Games for Windows LIVE support doesn't bother me. It's not my ideal setup, for sure, but in this day and age, you can't expect DRM-less PC games from big publishers.
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 13:32   #18
barndoor101
Bring back the demote thread!

barndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysis
treating everyone like a pirate? no change there then
barndoor101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 13:36   #19
leexgx
CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

leexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i would have to pirate it due to the SecoROM unless i got it from steam (does not like demon tools)
i7-920 (4Ghz) <> Titian ferna <> Rampage extreme III<> GTX480 <> 6gb 3x2gb OCZ Gold 1600 <> SSD M225 256gb / segate .11 1.5TB <> X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty <> TK 1000w Toughpower <win7 x64> GreenFrog Computers Warrington
leexgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 13:37   #20
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I may just buy this on PS3 to save a lot of hassle.