bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 27th Jan 2010, 11:18   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Ubisoft introduces new online DRM system

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...e-drm-system/1

Ubisoft has announced a new DRM system for future PC titles that require a constant internet connection.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2010, 11:20   #2
Gunsmith
Maximum Win

Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.
/golf clap
Gunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2010, 11:20   #3
DragunovHUN
Go ahead, spell my name wrong.

DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:

The good news is that Ubisoft promises the new system doesn't use either StarForce or SecuROM and doesn't require a disc check or apply an install limit on customers.

The bad news is that a constant internet connection is required, users will need to connect to a Ubi.com account before playing and apparently all save games will be uploaded to a Ubisoft cloud.
As far as i can see that's good news all around.

UNTILL UBISOFT GOES OUT OF BUSINESS. Then you can kiss your games goodbye, but they hardly took that into consideration.

EDIT:
Quote:
patches will be rolled out if Ubisoft is forced to abandon the servers
Oh wait, good stuff. But what about the savegames?
DragunovHUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2010, 11:20   #4
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
So where do I get the internet emulator beta from cracker group X

In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2010, 11:21   #5
Sleepstreamer
I modded christmas!

Sleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That gave me reason not to buy any Ubisoft games, thanks!
"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo 1989
FSP - AC Ryan - Matrix Orbital - ASUS - G.Skill - Nexustek
Sleepstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2010, 11:22   #6
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
I lol'd at the image and got pissed off with another DRM system... all at the same time!
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2010, 11:24   #7
Stewb
Hypermodder

Stewb has yet to learn the way of the DremelStewb has yet to learn the way of the DremelStewb has yet to learn the way of the DremelStewb has yet to learn the way of the DremelStewb has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Oh bloody hell. "Most people have constant internet connection". But what about those people that don't.
Stewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2010, 11:26   #8
DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewb View Post
Oh bloody hell. "Most people have constant internet connection". But what about those people that don't.
Do you know any gamers without an internet connection? I assume most of Ubi's new games will be multiplayer-heavy anyways, so there would be no point in buying them if you don't have internet. So IMO those people aren't the target audience for Ubi.
Old 27th Jan 2010, 11:29   #9
do_it_anyway
Supermodder

do_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldo_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewb
Indeed. When I changed ISP recently I went 4-5 days without an internet connection. And every now and then, if there is a server fault with an ISP you can have a few hours without a connection. During this time you can't play. That sucks.

Why can't these people use the "steam" model. Connect once, validate, and then allow offline play.

And this......
Quote:
Originally Posted by A ubisoft muppet
"At the moment, if you release the PC version, essentially what you're doing is letting people have a free version that they rip off instead of a purchased version. Piracy's basically killing PC,"
Are we ALL Criminals?
do_it_anyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2010, 11:31   #10
Stewb
Hypermodder

Stewb has yet to learn the way of the DremelStewb has yet to learn the way of the DremelStewb has yet to learn the way of the DremelStewb has yet to learn the way of the DremelStewb has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragunovHUN View Post
Do you know any gamers without an internet connection? I assume most of Ubi's new games will be multiplayer-heavy anyways, so there would be no point in buying them if you don't have internet. So IMO those people aren't the target audience for Ubi.
Yes, hes sitting on a chair typing out a message to you right now....

I am currently at boarding school, so that means limited internet during the week, limited in this case being all but browsing and MSN impossible, so no connecting to servers to get saved games etc. Thankfully steam offline works for most of my games (and the good old ones that came with a disk )

Now, hopefully when I get to uni it will work, but otherwise

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ubisoft muppet
"At the moment, if you release the PC version, essentially what you're doing is letting people have a free version that they rip off instead of a purchased version. Piracy's basically killing PC,"
..... That is the case with making absolutely anything, you make it. It can be copied. Only way to stop it being copied is to not release it at all
Old 27th Jan 2010, 11:34   #11
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.

But yes.

This will be pirated just like any other system. Monitor the traffic, replicate the responses with a local "server", force gamesaves to a directory on the local "server", modify the system that sends the calls to look at localhost. Oops.
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2010, 11:39   #12
Centy-face
Caw?

Centy-face has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is just the wrong way to fight a problem that this only fuels. Still no games on Ubisofts list are even remotely interesting to me now I just have to go bitch about GFWL being included with Metro 2033 >
Centy-face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2010, 11:41   #13
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragunovHUN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewb View Post
It's more an issue of you have to have the connection ALL THE TIME. If it drops while you're playing then the game will pause before letting you carry on playing, but Ubi hasn't clarified if you'll be able to upload your save. If you're on WiFi and the signal drops, too bad. If someone else needs to use the internet and you can't share a connection or have a bandwidth problem, too bad. If you're not on an unlimited connection then it'll hog your bandwidth needlessly.

www.joemartinwords.com

Old 27th Jan 2010, 11:43   #14
[GAH] Cheesey
What's a Dremel?

[GAH] Cheesey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"Ubisoft has announced a new DRM system"

If only there was a DRM system out there that didn't require a constant internet connection and does exactly the same thing.

*Sigh*
[GAH] Cheesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2010, 11:43   #15
ffjason
Multimodder

ffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysisffjason can run Crysis
Steam is brilliant. GFWL is appalling. If UBi's is anything like GFWL I will be refusing to buy any of their games.
ffjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2010, 11:44   #16
DragunovHUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centy-face
GFWL being included with Metro 2033 >
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

gog.com - Classic videogames, Windows 7 compatible, no DRM, bundled extras, outstanding service. Check it out, get hooked, spread the word!
Old 27th Jan 2010, 11:45   #17
NikoBellic
Tech Addict

NikoBellic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I would Download a car, I always d/l em' when modding GTA...[/offtopic]

I honestly think that this may be good, if it helps them to make more profits from PC gamers then they will feel that it will be worth developing games for the PC entirely, and not just make some crappy ports... or ignore the PC gamers completely.

I hope this system that they will be using goes well, and finally, at least I won't have to have my disc in anymore when I wanna play, now I can keep those discs somewhere safe where they won't get scratched.

and I also have to say, I think that if someone doesn't like this idea, then they are obviously pirates or have no internet connection to their primary (Gaming) PC.
NikoBellic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2010, 11:46   #18
Stewb
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikoBellic View Post
and I also have to say, I think that if someone doesn't like this idea, then they are obviously pirates or have no internet connection to their primary (Gaming) PC.

Read my post a few up -_-

And you haven't needed a disk for ages, its called Steam, and works well, and works offline
Old 27th Jan 2010, 11:47   #19
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
great yet another login i have to remember
Old 27th Jan 2010, 11:49   #20
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

It will have to have more benefits to me than just "Hey look, you can take your save games anywhere" because, really, how useful is that to anyone? Most people have one gaming rig at home. If they have more they can already just move their save games themselves.

Personally, I really like the way that EA and BioWare have done it. Yes, it's annoying that you have to create yet another account and you have to remember another password and all that, but there lots of upsides in their implementation. There is day one DLC for games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age, often free. You can easily grab extra content and it doesn't come with stupid restrictions about always needing to be online, though it is mostly pretty secure. It's the best way that this method can be done and Ubisoft seem to have missed out on that.

If cloud saves are the main benefit then I'll just not bother, tbh. It's not worth the hassle of junkmail, bandwidth troubles and registering.

www.joemartinwords.com