bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 28th Jan 2010, 13:03   #1
Cutter McJ1b
Home-cut jibs at discount Prices

Cutter McJ1b has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What will you put up with for a good storyline?

What will you put up with for a good storyline?

Cutter McJ1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 14:20   #2
Manu_Otaku
ManuOtaku

Manu_Otaku has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I loved both games story and gameplay wise, i like it a lot VATS on fallout 3, and in mass effect i didnt mind the mako sections that so many people did complain about it, and the shooting i like it, it was slow and with a few problems but i did like it overall,it had a great RPG touch in the shotting deparment with a lot of micromanagment, i think i dont going to love the new mass effect for this reasons, based on the reviews i had seen so far, i think is more userfriendly and they throw away the RPG mechanics, now it emphasizes in the shotting elements rather than the RPG, and the mako is gone, damn.
Manu_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 14:21   #3
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Mass Effect is clunky at first, but you get used to it quickly.

Mark, as I said, if Fallout 3 isn't fitting then just go to STALKER instead.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 14:25   #4
Aracos
Elite

Aracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run Crysis
I'm having the same issue with Fallout 3, all I find myself doing is VATS and it really naffs me off because I can't hit crap without it, the aiming on it just feels wierd and slow, nothing comparing to FPS's like L4D or MW2, so I go through the entire game having a click fest of nothingness. It makes me really bored so I try to use melee weapons whenever possible, because then it's actually fun to a certain extent. More like oblivion with melee weapons but then you are screwed when everyone has guns *sigh*
Ragnarok: i5 750 @ 3200MHz | Titan Fenrir | MSI P55-GD65 | 8GiB Vengence 1600MHz CAS 9 | 1GiB 6950 DirectCU II | 60GB Crucial M4 | Samsung F3 500GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Seasonic X-750 | X-Fi XtremeGamer | HAF932 | Win 7 Pro | openSUSE
Aracos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 14:35   #5
WildThing
Hypermodder

WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
It's interesting becuase I was thinking about this the other day. I recently bought Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic on Steam for about £1.50 or something. I had acquired it ages ago based on a friends recommendation but could not get into it, I thought it was utter crap if I'm honest, so I unistalled it. Then, after Mass Effect, I realised there are some games out there which aren't purely about combat. It felt like I finally "got" what Bioware was about lol. Also, maybe I had matured a little since I first tried KOTOR.
So I decided to give it another go, and now I'm actually quite enjoying it! I do still think the combat is pants in KOTOR, but as you mentioned in your blog, I put up with it because I'm immersed in the world, storyline and with the characters.

I havn't tried Fallout 3 yet, but I know what you mean about Mass Effect. As Joe said though, you get used to it. I actually like to play Mass Effect on easy, so the combat is just a non-issue element of the game that crops up from time to time, and kind of acts as an interlude from all the dialogue.
Asus P8P67 PRO ¶ Intel i5 2500K @ 4.4GHz ¶ Titan Fenrir ¶ XFX 6950 @ 6970 ¶ 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz ¶ 2x Crucial C300 128GB (OS + Games) ¶ Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB ¶ Auzentech XFI-Prelude + Creative T7700 7.1¶ Enermax Liberty 500W ¶ Corsair 650D case ¶ HP 24" LP2475W ¶ Win7 x64
WildThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 15:19   #6
Hugo
Ultramodder

Hugo has yet to learn the way of the DremelHugo has yet to learn the way of the DremelHugo has yet to learn the way of the DremelHugo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark
15x AF

It's probably blasphemous to say it, but I found both Mass Effect and Fallout 3 much less frustrating on the PS3 and Xbox 360, respectively, than on the PC. The control schemes for both just result in a hamstrung feeling on the PC; whereas on console they feel 'right' and as such you can enjoy the story more.
Old 28th Jan 2010, 15:53   #7
Cutter McJ1b

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm20200
I'm having the same issue with Fallout 3, all I find myself doing is VATS and it really naffs me off because I can't hit crap without it, the aiming on it just feels wierd and slow, nothing comparing to FPS's like L4D...
Thanks for the reply storm20200, glad it's not just me. It really does feel crappy compared with proper FPS shooters.
Old 28th Jan 2010, 16:20   #8
docodine
killed a guy once

docodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for president
Not many games combine the two very well..

I would rather go for pure gameplay games (Armagetron) or games with heavy emphasis on story (most Final Fantasy) than a poor mishmash, but a balance can be achieved.

Haven't played FO3, but Mass Effect was decent.. Story was average, gameplay was average. It had shiny graphics, but wasn't as good as KOTOR.

KOTOR, Deus Ex, Diablo II are games that combine the two the best I think.
docodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 16:25   #9
Blademrk
Why so serious?

Blademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I could not get into Fallout 3 (x360 version) at all. I've just bought Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics for the princly sum of 45p from PC world as I've heard they're better, I have't installed yet though.

Mass Effect on the 360 I found really enjoyable (I mainly used the sniper rifle which (once leveled up) made the combat a lot easier) - I think it's more suited to a Joypad than Keyboard and mouse.

My X-Box Live gamertag, PSN, Steam & Nintendo ID is BladeMrk
Blademrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 16:58   #10
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'll happily put up with Far Cry/KOTOR era graphics if it means good game play and good characters. Top end graphics are a bonus.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 18:02   #11
mjm25
Supermodder

mjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
you lot with a laggy mouse haven't got vsync on have you? i never remember it being laggy in fallout3...
Old 28th Jan 2010, 18:02   #12
TurtlePerson2
Multimodder

TurtlePerson2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
When I played ME1 my machine wasn't really up to the task so I got horrible frame rates during action scenes. I then saw the shooting sequences as things that needed to be done to get to the real game, which was the dialogue.
TurtlePerson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 18:24   #13
Aracos
Elite

Aracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm25
you lot with a laggy mouse haven't got vsync on have you? i never remember it being laggy in fallout3...
No vsync for me, Never turn it on unless there's an option for triple buffering, I find my screen doesn't tear with it off anyway so I don't care.
Ragnarok: i5 750 @ 3200MHz | Titan Fenrir | MSI P55-GD65 | 8GiB Vengence 1600MHz CAS 9 | 1GiB 6950 DirectCU II | 60GB Crucial M4 | Samsung F3 500GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Seasonic X-750 | X-Fi XtremeGamer | HAF932 | Win 7 Pro | openSUSE
Aracos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 18:37   #14
Cutter McJ1b

Quote:
Quote:
No vsync for me, Never turn it on unless there's an option for triple buffering, I find my screen doesn't tear with it off anyway so I don't care.
I always use vsync. I hate tearing almost as much as jaggies...
Old 28th Jan 2010, 20:17   #15
Skiddywinks
Hypermodder

Skiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the DremelSkiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I would never play a bad game for story. Ever. Gameplay is first and foremost in my eyes. If a game is fun, that is all that is needed. Make the gameplay immersive (amazing graphics, sound effects and style), and I will enjoy it even more. Story probably comes last in importance, but without a doubt, an amazing story can make a great game excellent. Mass Effect for example.

Obviously, there are limits; a ridiculously fun game that looks ****, I am unlikely to play. Basically, I shouldn't have to put up with anything excessive. Bad story? No difference, since I play for the gameplay. I could even put up with an exceptionally bad story. But sounds, graphics and content etc, should all be of a certain quality at least, otherwise it's a no-go.
Skiddywinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 21:54   #16
mjm25
Supermodder

mjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter McJ1b
Quote:
Quote:
I always use vsync. I hate tearing almost as much as jaggies...
turn it off and your mouse lag will be cured... but you will get tearing. so either get a 120hz monitor to kill it more of the time... or turn the settings up higher to get ur frame rate down below 60. or leave it on and keep the lag :/
Old 28th Jan 2010, 22:29   #17
brave758
Ultramodder

brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.
fallout 2 rocked i still play that. I think a RPG should be a RPG and a FPS the same as they try to mix the two they both loose what they really are
brave758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 22:48   #18
bigkingfun
Tinkering addict

bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bigkingfun is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
No specs of this "new gaming rig" yours?

I am dissapoint.
bigkingfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 23:45   #19
Farfalho
Supermodder

Farfalho has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkingfun
No specs of this "new gaming rig" yours?

I am dissapoint.
+1 You selfish nerd =P
Farfalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 23:49   #20
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
don't play dragon age then.. I think half the game is voice acting- but when you get the gay dwarf at the brothel, you kinda go ok.. least they have a sense of humor.. really liked fallout and mass effect- kinda blown away by mass effect really but played it on a crt in grain.. looks like a movie
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote