bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 28th Jan 2010, 13:03   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
BioShock 2 has no LAN or dedicated servers

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...ated-servers/1

2K Games has confirmed that BioShock 2 will have no dedicated server support, or LAN games.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 13:04   #2
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Cue angry ranting... Here we go again.
Old 28th Jan 2010, 13:10   #3
Psy-UK
Multimodder

Psy-UK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Bringing multiplayer to BioShock was a daunting task between the tech (there was no multiplayer support in the codebase from the first game)...
UE3 (which is what this game runs on) supports LAN and Dedi multiplay out of the box. So what exactly is the problem?
Psy-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 13:18   #4
Hardware150
Multimodder

Hardware150 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hardware150 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hardware150 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hardware150 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hardware150 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hardware150 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hardware150 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hardware150 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hardware150 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hardware150 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hardware150 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
meh, i never played bioshock 1 online anyway, so this doesn't really affect me. However, if this has caught on to a lot of developers and the new games im actually interested in, then its a bad day for me.

Its been said before, but it seems to me that game developers are looking for anyway to save money, so they make an xbox 360 game, then add on the pc "extras" of keyboard and mouse support, as well as DRM to stop the pirates (then the game gets released by pirates the day it comes out in the store anyway). Also im not very coherent today, headache ftl.
Hardware150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 13:20   #5
Gunsmith
Maximum Win

Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware150 View Post
meh, i never played bioshock 1 online anyway,
please have a basic understanding of what the hell you are on about before you oepn your mouth. in future

bioshit 1 didnt have any kind of multiplayer whatsoever.

jesus christ i seem to be surrounded by retards today /rage
Gunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 13:24   #6
Elton
Proud Model M User

Elton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Well this is...odd, how can you not have dedis? Have they not seen the backlash that MW2 got for doing the same?
Old 28th Jan 2010, 13:27   #7
[PUNK] crompers
Dremedial

[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
is anyone really that bothered? this MP will likely be poo anyway. and bioshock is a console game, let em have it.
| Main Rig | TJ07B-W | 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Sabertooth Z77 | 8GB Corsair Vengance | EVGA FTW 670 @ 1305Mhz | Samsung 830 128GB |1TB Samsung F3 | EK Supremacy CSQ | EK FC680 CSQ | Corsair HX650W | U2711 | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless | Xonar Essence STX | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm |
| HTPC | Lian Li Q11-B | AMD A10 5800k | ASRock FM2A75M-ITX | 8GB XMS3 2000 | 1TB Seagate | SFX 350W |
[PUNK] crompers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 13:34   #8
Greentrident
Multimodder

Greentrident is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Greentrident is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Greentrident is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Greentrident is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Greentrident is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Greentrident is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Greentrident is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Greentrident is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Greentrident is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Greentrident is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Greentrident is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I liked Bioshock but it was a singleplayer game only - not every game has to have multiplayer to be good - just as not every game has to have a single player side to be worth getting. What's the issue?
Greentrident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 13:36   #9
Bede
Ultramodder

Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Bede - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I can't think of much more rubbish than Bioshock MP anyway. The story and art design was great, the gameplay was fairly dubious. Multiplayer takes the story out, nerfs the art design to make things balanced for team deathmatch, and leaves you with mediocre gameplay with ooh-shiney lightning etc.
Bede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 13:38   #10
Thedarkrage
Thats not a pic of me its my gf

Thedarkrage has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm not getting it anyway cus it uses the rubbish games for windows live! So I'm not touching it didn't really like the first one much i got bored after i killed Ryan.
i7 4770K@4.4GHz - H100i - Asus MAXIMUS VI HERO - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 -Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Windforce 3X - 120GB OCZ Agility 3 - 3TB 2.5" HDD + 1TB 2.5" HDD - Coarsai AX760I Series PSU - Coolermaster Cosmos S - Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX RED - Cyborg R.A.T M.M.O.7 - Win8.1 + start8
Thedarkrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 13:40   #11
[GAH] Cheesey
What's a Dremel?

[GAH] Cheesey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
/epicfail
[GAH] Cheesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 13:41   #12
bob
Multimodder

bob has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton View Post
Well this is...odd, how can you not have dedis? Have they not seen the backlash that MW2 got for doing the same?
MW2 made loads of money regardless; at the end of the day its the only thing that matters.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 13:47   #13
lacuna
Supermodder

lacuna has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware150 View Post
meh, i never played bioshock 1 online anyway,
please have a basic understanding of what the hell you are on about before you oepn your mouth. in future

Saying he didn't play the non-existent MP makes no difference to the point of his post so how about you just chill out.
lacuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 13:48   #14
D3s3rt_F0x
Hypermodder

D3s3rt_F0x has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So in short what hes said is we couldn't be arsed or we were told to stick to schedule.

I wouldn't mind if they didn't implement the MP, they didn't in the first and it didn't stop it being a great game for me. But if they are, they might as well do it properly.
"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too." - JFK
D3s3rt_F0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 13:54   #15
hrp8600
Modder

hrp8600 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Bioshock is a single player game any way realy who cares about online or Lan play ? no real problem here

As for MW2 making loads of money , wonder how much more it will make once BF BC2 comes out ?
hrp8600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 14:04   #16
Psytek
Multimodder

Psytek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Why the **** does it even have multiplayer?
Psytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 14:10   #17
thEcat
Multimodder

thEcat has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3s3rt_F0x
So in short what hes said is we couldn't be arsed or we were told to stick to schedule.
hum...

[QUOTE=Psy-UK]
Quote:
UE3 (which is what this game runs on) supports LAN and Dedi multiplay out of the box. So what exactly is the problem?
Ah...
If this is fact it sounds more like 'they' made a commercial decision to fall into line with the default mp support offered by Microsoft - it is after all 'the most popular mp system there is' - err, make that 'the most widely used' - err, make that 'the only option people have left these days because MS likes it that way' - wonder if they're thinking of ways to moneytorize it (again) some day?
thEcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 14:21   #18
Silver51
I cast flare!

Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton View Post
It seems to be the trend where games have been developed cross platform. It seems to work for consoles, but PCs... well, we're used to having dedicated servers. It's by no means a right, but in my experience it does make it more difficult to get an mp game working.

Borderlands was the last one we tried. Everyone on mics in Steam chat attempting to talk the non-techie friends through opening ports in their hardware firewalls. It wouldn't be a problem if people got their **** together and agreed on a standard set of ports for P2P games and had them pre-configured on home routers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith View Post
... jesus christ i seem to be surrounded by retards today /rage
Ha, ha, ha... moo!
Silver51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 14:26   #19
do_it_anyway
Supermodder

do_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldo_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Clever. Get the pre-orders in by announcing cheap deals and freebies, then announce this afterwards.
Am I really that bothered? I suppose not, but it definately shows the way PC gaming is going
do_it_anyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 14:36   #20
Hardware150
Multimodder

Hardware150 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hardware150 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hardware150 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hardware150 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hardware150 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hardware150 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hardware150 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hardware150 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hardware150 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hardware150 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hardware150 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith View Post

well that would explain why i didn't play it online then won't it O.o

bioshock was a meh game, but i bought it for single player (and couldn't have bought it for multiplayer), and i probably won't buy bioshock 2 anyway, and i was only commenting on the fact that this isn't a bad thing for me, but if it is introduced on some other games i actually play online, then it would be a bad thing.

So please, don't take your rage out on me and incinuate that i am a retard just because i assumed bioshock 1 had multiplayer, i own it and played through it once, and even if it had multiplayer i wouldn't have been in the slightest bit interested in it, so please shoot me for my insinuate statement.

Flame cheesecake.
Hardware150 is offline   Reply With Quote