bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 28th Jan 2010, 14:55   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Canonical signs Yahoo! ad deal

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...ahoo-ad-deal/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 15:29   #2
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
FIGHT!
Old 28th Jan 2010, 15:38   #3
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
The main reason why people will revert to Google is because Yahoo's search engine's back-end is Bing, kind of bringing revenue also to Microsoft, aiding in Launchpad's Number One bug on staying open.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 16:33   #4
DarkLord7854
Pew pew lazerz

DarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run Crysis
I don't know any Linux user who uses Yahoo.. so I don't really see how they think they'll make a shiny quarter from this deal.
Old 28th Jan 2010, 16:52   #5
Picarro
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Pft, what's the point. It's like saying "Yeah, your Porsche comes with square wheels, but we'll change them for perfectly round ones if you want to?"
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 5gHz -:- Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 -:- 2x4 gbCorsair Vengeance 1,5v 1600mHz -:- Gigabyte Windforce X3 GTX 670 -:- Crucial M4 128 gb -:- Samsung F3 Spinpoint 640 gb -:- Corsair H60 with 2x Gentle Typhoon 1850 in push-pull -:- Corsair HX650 -:- Lian Li A05FN -:- Dell U2410 flanked by 2x Dell U2001FP -:- BenQ W1000+ -:-
Picarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 18:46   #6
pendragon
I pickle they

pendragon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
eh, more power to Canonical .. I couldn't give a rats a__ what search engine is 'default' .. as long as I have the freedom to change it to what I want then I'm fine
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 20:19   #7
D3s3rt_F0x
Hypermodder

D3s3rt_F0x has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxess View Post
The main reason why people will revert to Google is because Yahoo's search engine's back-end is Bing, kind of bringing revenue also to Microsoft, aiding in Launchpad's Number One bug on staying open.
And the words of Eric Schmidt recently don't worry you at all? Lets put it this way even the founder of Firefox has said go to Bing........
"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too." - JFK
D3s3rt_F0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 21:04   #8
crazyceo
Banned

crazyceo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So some of you are saying you are happy for the revenue from ads going back to google and Mozilla instead of the Ubuntu guys?

Christ, you open source guys really need to think before that brainfart kicks in again.
crazyceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 22:10   #9
Star*Dagger
Pan-Galactic Revolutionary

Star*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for president
More people are realizing that Google is a govt run intel apparatus. Not that this will stop their work (or fanboys).
Star*Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2010, 23:44   #10
Tulatin
The Froggy Poster

Tulatin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I don't know any competent computer user that uses Yahoo!. Canonical needs to find a different revenue stream. Maybe in-OS ads?
Tulatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2010, 14:37   #11
Shepps
Slacking off since 1986..

Shepps has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulatin
I don't know any competent computer user that uses Yahoo!. Canonical needs to find a different revenue stream. Maybe in-OS ads?
In OS ads? Are you serious? If my OS started ad spamming me i'd ditch it just on principle.
Shepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2010, 14:29   #12
crazyceo
Banned

crazyceo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulatin
In OS ads? Are you serious? If my OS started ad spamming me i'd ditch it just on principle.
Well you will probably love Googles effort when it finally gets here. It will be laden with the stuff otherwise it wont be making them any money.
crazyceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2010, 20:41   #13
Tulatin
The Froggy Poster

Tulatin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Actually, I could see google offering always on net appliances for free, with the cost being paid advertisements that are also always on.
Tulatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2010, 00:21   #14
Shagbag
All glory to the Hypnotoad!

Shagbag has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If Yahoo! want to pay Canonical to make Yahoo! the default, then bully for them.
The fact of the matter is that 99.9% of Ubuntu users know how to change their default search engine with a minimum of fuss. A lot of them don't even have to 'point-and-click' to do it. lol.
Shagbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2010, 03:35   #15
gnutonian
Supermodder

gnutonian has yet to learn the way of the Dremelgnutonian has yet to learn the way of the Dremelgnutonian has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo View Post
So some of you are saying you are happy for the revenue from ads going back to google and Mozilla instead of the Ubuntu guys?

Christ, you open source guys really need to think before that brainfart kicks in again.
Free != open source. In your defense, Ubuntu != comprehension of Free Software.

Google can go have intercourse with itself. People need to learn to use engines like Scroogle, Yauba or Ixquick. Privacy and freedom are very, very important. In this digital age things can come back to proverbially bite you in the arse much easier than they used to.

This "deal" is just another tick on the huge list of why Ubuntu just doesn't get free software (as in freedom rather than no-cost). They definitely are a "Linux" distro, not a GNU/Linux distro... almost a Windows without Microsoft or Mac OS without Apple. They couldn't care less about software freedom but they're happy freeloading on GNU software such as, oh, I don't know, GNOME, the entire front-end of "their" distribution.

"A hierarchical society is only possible on the basis of poverty and ignorance."
gnutonian is offline   Reply With Quote