Home-cut jibs at discount Prices

Cutter McJ1b has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
My Experience With Jailbreaking So Far

My Experience With Jailbreaking So Far

Cutter McJ1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2010, 13:56   #2
bodkin
Overheating

bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
One major problem I have noticed on both my 3G and 3GS is that jailborken phones are far less stable and much more prone to the broken keyboard problem
bodkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2010, 14:28   #3
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
very interesting the Bit have put this on their home page what are the moral / legal issues around jailbreaking as i bought an android specifically because it was a more open platform
Old 1st Feb 2010, 15:04   #4
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Just make sure that if ever iTunes gives you the option to send information to Apple about what’s on your iPhone hard disk - such as the Apps Genius feature - choose No.
...are you sure it ALWAYS asks you before sending?

(just my Windows-paranoia talking here)

Xir
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2010, 15:10   #5
Cutter McJ1b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xir
Quote:
Just make sure that if ever iTunes gives you the option to send information to Apple about whatÂ’s on your iPhone hard disk - such as the Apps Genius feature - choose No.
...are you sure it ALWAYS asks you before sending?

(just my Windows-paranoia talking here)

Xir
I jailbroke my new iPhone 3GS. It was the first time I'd plugged it in to my new PC. I got asked about Apps genius once, said no. I also turned off autosync. No problems at all so far.
Old 1st Feb 2010, 15:38   #6
Cutter McJ1b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodkin
One major problem I have noticed on both my 3G and 3GS is that jailborken phones are far less stable and much more prone to the broken keyboard problem
Can't say I've had any issues with my keyboard...
Old 1st Feb 2010, 15:43   #7
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyb View Post
very interesting the Bit have put this on their home page what are the moral / legal issues around jailbreaking as i bought an android specifically because it was a more open platform
Err read paragraphs 7, 8, 9 and 10
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2010, 16:07   #8
Anfield
Hypermodder

Anfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming Saiyan
So you have to "hack" a Iphone in order to be able to transfer files with drag and drop? lulz...
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2010, 16:51   #9
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
SBsetttings: i can't imagine ANYONE without it!

i won't recommend blackrain. it is jailbreak by fiddling with files through USB, with chances of messing up. use PwnageTool to create your own firmware, then use Apple's iTunes to write to the iPhone, nothing can go wrong

Last edited by wuyanxu; 1st Feb 2010 at 21:08.
wuyanxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2010, 17:29   #10
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatus
Quote:
how the **** did i miss that
Old 1st Feb 2010, 18:05   #11
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatus
Quote:
how the **** did i miss that
Don't worry, it is a Monday

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2010, 20:50   #12
DeMoB
All of my Dremel wheels are broke!

DeMoB has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu View Post
i won't recommend blackrain. it is a tethered jailbreak with chances of messing up. use PwnageTool to create your own firmware, then use Apple's iTunes to write to the iPhone, nothing can go wrong
That's not really true now is it.

If you're stuck with a tethered jailbreak with blackra1n, you'll still be stuck with a tethered jailbreak with pwnage tool too. It's not down to the program you use to jailbreak, but rather if you've got an iphone with the new bootrom hardware. Which I think that was any made after oct 09.

As for anyone using the SBSettings with the default theme, do yourself a favour and grab the "Apple Congruency Black" theme for it. Looks as swish as the rest of the OS then.

Dan
DeMoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2010, 21:09   #13
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMoB View Post
That's not really true now is it.

If you're stuck with a tethered jailbreak with blackra1n, you'll still be stuck with a tethered jailbreak with pwnage tool too. It's not down to the program you use to jailbreak, but rather if you've got an iphone with the new bootrom hardware. Which I think that was any made after oct 09.

As for anyone using the SBSettings with the default theme, do yourself a favour and grab the "Apple Congruency Black" theme for it. Looks as swish as the rest of the OS then.

Dan
sorry, i didn't mean tethered jailbreak, i mean messing with files through USB connection (hence confusion with the word "tether") creating an IPSW file and flashing the phone is as clean jailbreak as you can get.
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 09:43   #14
phuzz
This is a title

phuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for president
I jailbroke my work iPhone as soon as I got it (and uninstalled itunes as soon as it was activated).
Still glad I don't have to use one as my daily phone though, without Cydia/Jailbreaking then it would be almost un-customisable.
phuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 11:39   #15
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I'm biting! I just need to know a few things...

I'm on o2 with the 3.1.2 phone firmware and 05.11 modem firmware. I don't want to unlock the carrier.

Can I just use redsn0w 0.9.2?

It says it requires a tethered reboot.. is that whenever the phone runs out of juice and reboots when it's got enough charge again? So I'd have to have it connected to a computer rather than the mains-usb adapter? And is that any computer or the one I ran redsn0w on?

Can I still use itunes as normal? I.e. podcasts, purchases, apps?

How do I uninstall it?

What happens if I upgrade to Apple's 3.1.3 firmware? Anything I need to do/make sure of beforehand?
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 13:14   #16
Cutter McJ1b

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenco_uk
I'm biting! I just need to know a few things...

I'm on o2 with the 3.1.2 phone firmware and 05.11 modem firmware. I don't want to unlock the carrier.

Can I just use redsn0w 0.9.2?

It says it requires a tethered reboot.. is that whenever the phone runs out of juice and reboots when it's got enough charge again? So I'd have to have it connected to a computer rather than the mains-usb adapter? And is that any computer or the one I ran redsn0w on?

Can I still use itunes as normal? I.e. podcasts, purchases, apps?

How do I uninstall it?

What happens if I upgrade to Apple's 3.1.3 firmware? Anything I need to do/make sure of beforehand?
Sadly, I'm unsure about a lot of this stuff as jailbreaking is still very new to me and I don't want to misinform. Perhaps someone else can help?

When I did it, I just plugged in my new iPhone and got stuck in.
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 13:50   #17
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

if you upgrade to new firmware, you'll loose jailbreak, so wait until the dev-team have gotten a jailbreak before upgrading.

not sure about redsnow, i always use Pwnaget Tool which creates a custom firmware and there is no need to do a tethered reboot. best source and most reliable source for everything about jailbreaking: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ (personally don't trust any other method of jailbreaking, that includes ZiPhone, blackra1n, redsnow.
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 15:21   #18
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I'm under the impression that pwnagetool is specifically for mac and that the same team that developed it are those that have released the windows version called redsn0w. Looking at the tut for installing redsn0w, it has (c) iphone dev team on the installer.

I can only find two 'Windows options' on iclarified - either redsn0w or BlackRa1n Link. BlackRa1n looks easier but there could be an issue with wifi suddenly not working (although for some people multiple resets or subjecting the rear of the iphone to freezing temperatures fixes it! - gps and youtube are fixable thru' Push It app) from what I read.

edit - wtf, each of the custom ipsw files I try to d/l are iphone1,2_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.zip - extracting the zip gives me 3 .dmg files and all bloody sorts.

ninja edit - ahh, I rename the file from .zip to .ipsw - correct? It's come up with the proper icon, at least!

Last edited by kenco_uk; 2nd Feb 2010 at 15:36.
kenco_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 20:32   #19
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

be careful, from the file name, it is for iPhone 3G, not 3GS.

pwnage tool is reliable because it fiddles with the file system on your computer, and then the pre-jailbroken, custom made firmware is flashed to the phone through relatively more reliable itunes.
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 04:35   #20
|V| 4 L k i 3 R
Supermodder

|V| 4 L k i 3 R has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've done it with Pwnage tool on my 3GS and with BlackRa1n on a 3G in order to get them on different carries while abroad. Both phones still work/sync flawlessly with iTunes.
Gaming - MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) |i5-2500k 3.3Ghz | Thermaltake Frio| 3x2Gb OCZ 1600 | 2 x Gigabyte GTX580 3Gb | Crucial M4 64Gb | 2 x Barracuda 1Tb | LG Bluray Drive | NZXT Phantom | Antec HCP-750 | Win7 Home Pre | Logitech G500 Mouse/G15 Keyboard/G27 Wheel| Onkyo HT-RC160 w/ Z-5500 satelite speakers | 2 x Dell U2711 | Gateway XHD3000 |
Portable - 17" MacBook Pro | LaCie 500Gb Firewire 800
Other - Linksys E2000 | ReadyNAS RNV2-S2 | 4 x 2Tb Seagate Barracuda | iPhone 3Gs 32Gb | iPad 3g 32Gb
|V| 4 L k i 3 R is offline   Reply With Quote