bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 2nd Feb 2010, 16:15   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Samsung plans touch-integrated AMOLED

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...touch-amoled/1

Samsung has announced plans to mass produce a 3.3" WVGA AMOLED display for mobile handsets which features capacitive touch elements integrated directly on to the panel.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 17:30   #2
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
well that kinda goes with an idea I had.. but the gap would still work better

that should make a better phone- I wonder about longevity without glass
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 18:00   #3
Farfalho
Supermodder

Farfalho has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I thought Samsung had already started manufacturing phones with AMOLED, like the Samsung H1 for Vodafone 360.
Or is it a new kind of AMOLED screen?

I guess if they're thinking of releasing it, it must be better than the actual ones. Let's see if Appple tries to call dibs on a legal suit against Samsung...
Farfalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 19:27   #4
greigaitken
Supermodder

greigaitken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'd like to try a version of touch screen where you still have a really small cursor that you can manipulate - like a cross between touch screen and trackpad. No new hardware required just a wee bit extra software and huzaa! Will help with sausage finger syndrome
greigaitken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 20:24   #5
shaffaaf27
The budget builder

shaffaaf27 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
umm 480x800 isnt standard, ESP at 3.3". thats insane!
shaffaaf27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 20:47   #6
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Samsung has already had ultra thin phones such as the X820 on the market. Unfortunately their thinness was actually a weakness, the X820 was very fragile and often snapped where the screen met the key pad (and I should know) .
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 12:21   #7
Joeymac
Multimodder

Joeymac has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
If you think the combined display-element-touch-element technology sounds a little familiar, you'd be right: Apple recently had a patent granted for improvements to touch screen devices which included a section on "Dual-Function Capacitive Elements," a system of integrating both display and sensor technology into single elements to reduce the weight and power draw of touch screen devices. How similarSamsung's latest AMOLED display is to Apple's invention - and whether the company will be taking a legal interest in sales - isn't yet known.
That patent should have been thrown back in their face, it's a logical step in to improving an already existing combination of two inventions and therefore what's called "progress". This patenting of every single little incremental improvement in anything has to be stopped, it's ridiculous.
Joeymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Feb 2010, 03:21   #8
Sebbo
Multimodder

Sebbo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Samsung would have surely applied for it's own patent for this specific implementation before Apple made their application, right? Would have been quite silly not to have applied for a patent once they had mapped out how it would work
Intel Core i7 920, ASUS P6T Deluxe, 12GB Corsair Dominator PC-12800, Sapphire HD7970, Crucial m300 120GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB, Samsung Spinpoint 1TB, Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, Logitech G510 and G9, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers, Dell U2713HM 27" and 2408WFP 24" monitors
Sebbo is offline   Reply With Quote