bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 14th Mar 2010, 19:50   #41
Xion X2
Multimodder

Xion X2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnewby View Post

@Xion X2 Thanks. The card is fitted with two laptop drives on one side and an SSD
on the other. The whole thing is 40mm thick without a cover. As for weight,
each scorpio drive weighs about 117 grams and the SSD weighs 78grams.
The card weighs about the same as one scorpio drive, so together the whole
unit weighs about 429 grams, so lets say 500 grams to be safe. The graphics
card that will go into this project, a HD 5870, chimes in at 1000grams. So as
well as being considerably lighter than a standard graphics card its also more
compact and is well within the limits of the form factor for a PCI express device.
I've tested this on a motherboard and the only thing to worry about is
placement.

...With regards to the quality of the parts, it just takes time and patience. Most of the work is
done with files.
I see, then. That scorpio drive is really light for an HDD!

And yes, I agree.. files make all the difference. Especially when they're in the hands of a skilled artist. Keep up the great work!

Old 15th Mar 2010, 07:59   #42
Attila
still thinking....

Attila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for president
Back to the chassis, I needed to get a look at the PSU arrangement. Although I had planned this in sketchup, I didn't think about how the acrylic shell would attach with this part. So another modification needed to be made for this part that supports the PSU and PCI cards.

So I settled on an enlarged design and began to make this from 6mm plate.

Last edited by Attila; 24th Mar 2013 at 03:37. Reason: photobucket f**k up.
Attila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2010, 08:56   #43
SNiiPE_DoGG
Engineering The Extreme

SNiiPE_DoGG has yet to learn the way of the DremelSNiiPE_DoGG has yet to learn the way of the DremelSNiiPE_DoGG has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
oh dear you've already started yours, I haven't even finished planning mine! Looks like I wont be able to go up against this mod for moty 2010

watching in awe of your hand craft skills

|CPU: PHII 955 BE @ 3.8ghz | GPU: 2 x 4890 XXX @ 950 | 8gb Crucial ballistix tracer DDR3 1600 CL8|
SNiiPE_DoGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2010, 09:55   #44
Attila
still thinking....

Attila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for president
The next part is the all important lower tie piece that joins all the upper parts and supports the lower struts. This needs to be very strong and rigid, so it's made from 8mm plate.

Last edited by Attila; 24th Mar 2013 at 04:06. Reason: photobucket f**k up.
Old 15th Mar 2010, 21:28   #45
jegerjon
Supermodder

jegerjon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is off to a really great start. I loved what you did to Cygnus, absolutely stunning. Will be following this beauty. Btw, you've got the best ideas - the HDD-mount is truly genius!

Keep it up
Old 17th Mar 2010, 05:06   #46
Attila
still thinking....

Now that I have four of the main parts made, it's time to think about how these will be fixed to each other.

To this end, some trials were made on scrap. I wasn't worried about strength, because using several stainless M3 screws per join will be more than ample to hold the parts together with moderate to high strength. I was more concerned with how I could finish the screws to get a good and tidy look.

So the drilling and tapping could start.

In some cases pretty weird clamping set-ups needed to be used to get everything lined up and square. Unfortunately the work was concentrated and hectic so I didn't get many pic's.

Last edited by Attila; 24th Mar 2013 at 04:30. Reason: photobucket f**k up.
Old 17th Mar 2010, 06:12   #47
youeffsee
Modder

youeffsee has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thats is such a cool idea with the HDs. You continue to amaze me man. Your craftsmanship is among the best.

The 1st set of fans were really cool. But now that I see the new ideas Im liking even better.

This will be interesting. I wonder whats to come.
youeffsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2010, 10:35   #48
Cleveland216
Carbon Fiber King

Cleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You may want to try something like the nose cone on the SR-71 blackbird jet inlet. That type of design. I do like the way those little slots around the fan look though from head on.
Cleveland216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2010, 18:48   #49
nlancaster
Multimodder

nlancaster has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Make a jig to hold the PVC tube, the jig has the appropriate size hole in it for a pattern following bit. attach the PVC to the jig, put the pattern following bit into the router table. run the inside of the jig over the pattern bit. Job done, safest way possible.
nlancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2010, 06:57   #50
Attila
still thinking....

To support PCI add in cards, a simple arrangement using some angle was made.

See you soon.

Last edited by Attila; 24th Mar 2013 at 04:34. Reason: photobucket f**k up.
Old 20th Mar 2010, 09:46   #51
Kumo
Hypermodder

Kumo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Amazing mobo tray, mate. Nice work.
Kumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2010, 13:03   #52
ringo
Supermodder

ringo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
the round design of the fan is very cool. The mobo tray looks very good. I like your project.
ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2010, 13:06   #53
Neji
Multimodder

Neji has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great job on that tray. I'm beginning to become a big fan of this mod.
Neji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2010, 13:57   #54
subset7
Spanking the Monkey

subset7 should be considered for presidentsubset7 should be considered for presidentsubset7 should be considered for presidentsubset7 should be considered for presidentsubset7 should be considered for presidentsubset7 should be considered for presidentsubset7 should be considered for presidentsubset7 should be considered for presidentsubset7 should be considered for presidentsubset7 should be considered for presidentsubset7 should be considered for president
Awesome metal working skills,this is going to be even better than your last build,if that's possible
Old 20th Mar 2010, 17:08   #55
shakka65
Multimodder

shakka65 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The MB plate looks totally awesome. It seems as if it was done by CNC.
shakka65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2010, 17:53   #56
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
I have no friggen clue what you have planned. That should make it even more interesting.
Pvc molded plumbing has one downside. The quality control for the outside doesn't exist.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2010, 18:00   #57
Bullitdodger
If it ain't broke....Tweak it.

Bullitdodger has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
All motherboard trays should look like that.....
Old 20th Mar 2010, 18:38   #58
stonedsurd
Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Sweet mobo tray. I see you're still trying weight-saving techniques. Does this mean this build is going to be as beefy as the last?
Old 20th Mar 2010, 21:29   #59
brinkz0r
Hypermodder

brinkz0r has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well it almost looks like he wants to make that mobo tray spinning, although the absence of a hole in the center suggests otherwise.
brinkz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2010, 22:38   #60
KingCake
Multimodder

KingCake has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is one of the coolest mods ever!
KingCake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminium, oldnewby

View Mode