bit-tech.net

Old 17th Apr 2010, 07:52   #161
Attila
still thinking....

Attila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for president
Thanks everyone.

This part, the chassis, is actually slightly larger than the the chassis for CX1. This is due, among
other things, to the giant size of the GFX card.

I'm posting this now, even though just one of the struts isn't even complete, because making
four of these things will take a lot of time, so I won't be back for a while.

First a pattern needed to be made in some scrap alu, to transfer the design to the alu bar.

Much easier to cut the pieces with a power saw.

Then the design is tranfered over onto the bar.

A couple of guide holes drilled.

Now this thickness (12mm) is testing the limits of what I can cut with the jigsaw. The work-
piece is getting very hot and even a new blade lasts only a short time. The cut is very rough.

The filing is also very slow. About a third of the time is spent resting my right arm.
So having spent the whole of my available time on this, the first arm is not even close to
being finished but I can get a good look at how it goes with the rest of the chassis.

Well, I like the look of that very much. It's even concievable that no pads are needed thus
reducing the height a little. But I'll have to think about that a bit.

EDIT

I remembered the cut-outs for the rear support so I tried the large one for the pads.
It may be OK with large diameter, low profile pads. Hmmm.

Back soon.

Last edited by Attila; 17th Apr 2010 at 15:28.
Attila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2010, 07:55   #162
stonedsurd
Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
If you get rid of the pads, you'll have to make the center section (where the 4 struts meet) slightly less pointy (and shorter).

Wait, I'm giving advice to you. Obviously you thought of that
Old 17th Apr 2010, 08:22   #163
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Editor22 can run CrysisEditor22 can run CrysisEditor22 can run CrysisEditor22 can run CrysisEditor22 can run CrysisEditor22 can run CrysisEditor22 can run CrysisEditor22 can run CrysisEditor22 can run CrysisEditor22 can run CrysisEditor22 can run Crysis
Damn this log just gets better and better, I dare anyone to read it and not feel inspired to go out and create something. On a side note I bet your filing arm is going to look something like this when your done on that 12mm bar! just crazy!

Editor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2010, 12:41   #164
The_Gnu
8-bit addict

The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I love your projects, shows of your patience and attention to detail and im impressed by how fast this project is developing. Good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editor22 View Post
... I bet your filing arm is going to look something like this when your done on that 12mm bar! just crazy!
Naah... I would guess more like this

Project: ProtoHype (paused)
Project: GET A LIFE (Complete)
Project: Widescreen Projector(Complete)
Guide: How to brush Aluminum

Last edited by The_Gnu; 7th Jan 2011 at 13:15.
The_Gnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2010, 14:01   #165
Dot_Kappa
100% Puppet

Dot_Kappa has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's simply a pleasure looking at your worklog!!
On each update the "modding-rod" is set to an higher level
Old 17th Apr 2010, 16:07   #166
Attila
still thinking....

Attila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedsurd View Post
If you get rid of the pads, you'll have to make the center section (where the 4 struts meet) slightly less pointy (and shorter).
Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editor22 View Post
Damn this log just gets better and better, I dare anyone to read it and not feel inspired to go out and create something. On a side note I bet your filing arm is going to look something like this when your done on that 12mm bar! just crazy!
Haha, thanks. Yes I try and go to great lengths in the log to show that anyone can make
nice parts, right now with only a few tools and some sweat. I think it would be
great if more viewers became active modders and builders.

Oh and as far as the filing is concerned, it's good to think of something so you don't
get bored. I think of CNC machines a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Gnu View Post
I love your projects, shows of your patience and attention to detail and im impressed by how fast this project is developing. Good work
Thanks mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dot_Kappa View Post
It's simply a pleasure looking at your worklog!!
On each update the "modding-rod" is set to an higher level
Thanks a lot Dot.
Old 17th Apr 2010, 16:08   #167
talladega
I'm Squidward

talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Gnu View Post

Naah... I would guess more like this
that must be Mankz!

kingnewby, what kind of blade do you use in your cutoff saw?
Old 17th Apr 2010, 16:35   #168
Attila
still thinking....

That's a carbide tipped 10inch blade made for alu. The teeth have a negative hook angle.
Wood blades have the teeth angled towards the direction of rotation, a positive hook angle.
Old 17th Apr 2010, 22:35   #169
oliverw92
Supermodder

oliverw92 has yet to learn the way of the Dremeloliverw92 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
For cutting that thicker stuff with the jigsaw have you considered a different type of blade? I use a ceramic blade when cutting thick aluminium and it eats through it like butter, leaving a very clean finish that just takes a little sanding. They look like this:

oliverw92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2010, 13:53   #170
AnG3L
Ultimate Modder

AnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run Crysis
Wow wow wow!!! OMG! (Awesome vocabulary here huh?)
AnG3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2010, 17:00   #171
Blooddrunken
In Flames we Trust

Blooddrunken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You inspired me so much with your logs, I started again with modding after 5 Years of pause and just reading.
Blooddrunken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2010, 19:17   #172
Mankz
________

Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by talladega View Post
that must be Mankz!
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2010, 06:12   #173
stonedsurd

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankz View Post
Old 19th Apr 2010, 16:45   #174
Locknload
Multimodder

Locknload has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hi again old newby,
Just a thought you could also use an Electric ceramic tile cutter on the aluminium, these also come with a little water trough which makes the process a lot smoother as it lubricates the cutting process they are only cheap to buy...plasplugs make a version of it.
Locknload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2010, 09:44   #175
Attila
still thinking....

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverw92 View Post
For cutting that thicker stuff with the jigsaw have you considered a different type of blade? I use a ceramic blade when cutting thick aluminium and it eats through it like butter, leaving a very clean finish that just takes a little sanding. They look like this:
Thanks for the tip. I'll go and get some of those blades, I'll try anything that can
make life easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnG3L View Post
Wow wow wow!!! OMG! (Awesome vocabulary here huh?)
Haha, thanks Ang3L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooddrunken View Post
You inspired me so much with your logs, I started again with modding after 5 Years of pause and just reading.
Thanks, I'm happy that you got some inspiration from this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locknload View Post
Hi again old newby,
Just a thought you could also use an Electric ceramic tile cutter on the aluminium, these also come with a little water trough which makes the process a lot smoother as it lubricates the cutting process they are only cheap to buy...plasplugs make a version of it.
Thanks a lot L&L. I'll look for one of those next time I'm down at the hardware
Barn.

I've done most of the shaping for the support struts. The top curves were easy to get nice
but I'm having difficulty in getting a nice smooth curve on the underside. Just have to keep
at it.

Trying to speed things up a little, a 50 grit sanding disc was used to remove the bulk of the
material from the top of the three remaining struts.

Here are some pics of what it should look like. I've just arranged the struts roughly and please
excuse the uneven curves on the lower sufaces.

Back soon.
Old 21st Apr 2010, 10:15   #176
stonedsurd

Uneven? You call that UNeven?

It's looking great man. I rather like the angular nature of the ends of the struts but if you're incorporating round shapes elsewhere (the fans) then perhaps you might want to rethink adding the pads - just thin 1/4" or 1/2" ones.
Old 21st Apr 2010, 10:43   #177
Attila
still thinking....

Thanks, yes I'm thinking about rounding off the ends of the struts and yes again,
large, low profile pads are the way to go.
Old 21st Apr 2010, 21:20   #178
Kylevdm
The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Kylevdm is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
DUDE! This build has come along sooo much since I last saw it! Loving all the aluminium! I love my aluminium! <3
Core i7 920 D0 :: Asus P6T Deluxe v2 :: 6GB Crucial BalistiX :: Asus GTX 570 :: ENERMAX Platimax 850W :: OCZ Agility 3 120GB :: 4x Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB
Kylevdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2010, 22:28   #179
shomann
Supermodder

shomann has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You would swear this was done by CNC oldnewby. Really loving the build so far. Rock on.
shomann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2010, 22:40   #180
skreenname
Allons-y!

skreenname has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedsurd View Post
Uneven? You call that UNeven?

It's looking great man. I rather like the angular nature of the ends of the struts but if you're incorporating round shapes elsewhere (the fans) then perhaps you might want to rethink adding the pads - just thin 1/4" or 1/2" ones.
Of course it's uneven!
Can't you see the right front strut is 12nanometers thichker than the left at the same spot?!

@Oldnewby
Stop being awesome.
You're making me want to mod more stuff.
skreenname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminium, oldnewby

View Mode