bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 3rd Feb 2010, 17:18   #1
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
SilverStone Announces Hybrid SSD-Hard Disk Device

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...sd-hard-disk/1

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 17:24   #2
Dave Lister
Hypermodder

Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
It would be great to see some speed tests done with this !
Main Rig:Case: BitFenix Prodigy, Motherboard: MSI Z97I Gaming, CPU: Intel i7 4790K, RAM: 16Gb 2400Mhz Kingston HyperX Beast GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming, Primary HDD: 256Gb Samsung 850 Pro, Games Drive: 1Tb Toshiba SSHD, Cooler: Corsair H105, OS: Win 7 - 64
HTPC:Case: Gutted out VCR, Motherboard: Asus AT5IONT-I, CPU: Intel Atom D525 @ 1.94Ghz, RAM: 4Gb 1333Mhz Kingston GPU: Nvidia Ion 2, Primary HDD: Hitachi 500Gb, Optical Drive: NEC ND-6500A Laptop Drive, OS: Win 8.1 32
Dave Lister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 17:27   #3
Picarro
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
If this actually works, it could mean a larger sale of low-capacity SSD's. Buying a F3, and then boosting it with a 32gig SSD would be awesome.
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 5gHz -:- Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 -:- 2x4 gbCorsair Vengeance 1,5v 1600mHz -:- Gigabyte Windforce X3 GTX 670 -:- Crucial M4 128 gb -:- Samsung F3 Spinpoint 640 gb -:- Corsair H60 with 2x Gentle Typhoon 1850 in push-pull -:- Corsair HX650 -:- Lian Li A05FN -:- Dell U2410 flanked by 2x Dell U2001FP -:- BenQ W1000+ -:-
Picarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 17:29   #4
tonyd223
king of nothing

tonyd223 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
so using the SSD as cache memory? look - I know I'm old, but surely a better system would be to do a bay that uses all the old memory sticks we've got lying around that can't be used for anything - DDR 400 with 4- 8 slots would be ideal...

Anyone...
tonyd223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 17:33   #5
Icy EyeG
Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Icy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I wonder how it would perform with a SSD and a 300Gb WD Velociraptor.
This would be an interesting test on a review...
Icy EyeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 17:34   #6
Bonzo45
Ex CPC

Bonzo45 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So you have to buy an SSD, the kit and a Hard Disk... not seeing this take off in all fairness. Look forward to speed tests though.
|| Q6600 @ 2.7GHz || HD4850 || 4GB (2x2GB) DDRII 800MHz || Crucial C300 64GB || Samsung F1 1TB & Samsung 500GB || Samsung Lightscribe drive || 500W Seagate PSU || GA-P31-DS3l mobo || Arctic cooling F7Pro || Samsung T220 22" || 7 Home Premium 64bit
Bonzo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 17:41   #7
UncertainGod
Ultramodder

UncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very interesting idea.

PSN ID: Sp4rkR4t
UncertainGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 17:48   #8
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Interesting solution, and may be a hit in the short to medium term (i.e. until cheap big SSDs become available). We'll need to see some numbers, but it could be a winner, provided it actually works. Probably won't be as good as a smallish (60-120GB) SSD as system drive with secondary storage for media files etc. on a big HDD, but a lot more convenient.

Looks from the article like it's a drop-in upgrade. Can anyone confirm, or are we in clean install territory?

Edit: looks like it is a drop in. If performance improvement hits the 70% range SilverStone suggests, it's a massive winner for €33.
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 17:52   #9
wafflesomd
I *am* a Dremel

wafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysis
So you still have to buy an SSD? lol
wafflesomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 18:24   #10
Sim0n
rm -rf /

Sim0n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
But you dont have to reinstall !!!
Sim0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 18:40   #11
Psytek
Multimodder

Psytek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Your article says it requires software, but the picture says it doesn't... which is correct?
Psytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 18:42   #12
Hugo
Ultramodder

Hugo has yet to learn the way of the DremelHugo has yet to learn the way of the DremelHugo has yet to learn the way of the DremelHugo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is exactly what I need to persuade me to actually put the SSD I have in my system - reinstalling is too much effort!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy EyeG
I wonder how it would perform with a SSD and a 300Gb WD Velociraptor.
This would be an interesting test on a review...
SSD speeds when accessing cached data; Raptor speeds otherwise. Simple really.
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 19:10   #13
tad2008
Supermodder

tad2008 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well the idea is nice, shame it's so poorly designed, surely a company like Silverstone is perfectly capable of making it possible to simply slide the hard drive and SSD in to the bay without the need to use un-necessary cables and mess and secure with a couple of screws at worst if not a completely tool-less design.

The price certainly seems cheap until you consider how simple the overall concept is and that it could probably be home made for less by any electronics guru's out there.
tad2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 19:19   #14
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
wouldn't this increase access time if the data is not on the SSD? so if you buy a really small SSD (eg. 32GB vs 1TB HDD) most of the files would read slower?

hopefully Silverstone can prove me wrong.
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 19:32   #15
digitaldave
Multimodder

digitaldave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo45
So you have to buy an SSD, the kit and a Hard Disk... not seeing this take off in all fairness. Look forward to speed tests though.
nope, you can just get the SSD and the kit and use your existing OS hard drive, this will mirror the most used data from the HDD to the SSD and tell the OS to look at the SSD first for the data it needs.

you wont even have to re install the OS if what silverstone say is true.

shame it looks like its windoze only . . . . . id have one if it supported mac or linux.
digitaldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 19:37   #16
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
The clue is in the name. It sounds like it's incredibly similar to ReadyBoost. And that worked well.
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 19:51   #17
feathers
Banned

feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo45 View Post
Many people already have SSD. Some even have SSD in raid mode!

I have a 30gb ssd and at Ł99 for a fast vertex, they are affordable. Oh and I have mechanical hard disks too!!
feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 19:57   #18
Veles
DUR HUR

Veles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I like the sound of it, taking a small SSD and using this controller and software to be efficient with the data you put onto it's limited space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod View Post
spam gangsters might as well tap into all those machines for their zombie networks.
Veles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 19:57   #19
pimonserry
sounds like a party.

pimonserry has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpimonserry has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpimonserry has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpimonserry has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpimonserry has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpimonserry has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpimonserry has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
33€ ain't bad, if it works well.

+REP ME FOR BEING WONDERFUL
pimonserry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 20:25   #20
Scootiep
Multimodder

Scootiep has yet to learn the way of the DremelScootiep has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sign me up. I'd be more than happy to snag one of these and a 32gig SSD and pair it with my 1tb F3. Provided it works of course. I do agree that it would be nice if it was made in more of a "hot-swapable" style without all the extra cables though.