bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Recreation > Gaming

Old 4th Feb 2010, 04:20   #1
DarkLord7854
Pew pew lazerz

DarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run Crysis
Aliens vs Predator Demo on Steam

NEWS LINK: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...now-on-steam/1

Demo's on Steam.

Pre-order's being canceled. What a pile of garbage. Maybe it's because I lived and breathed AvP2.. but this game feels NOTHING like the other AvP games. The controls & characters feel sluggish, the graphics look dull, the alien has this weird green tint sh*t going on, and where the hell is my pounce attack?!

I'm so incredibly disappointed with the demo, I waited so long for the next AvP game, to build from AvP2's glorious MP.. but this, is not it for me.

Hopefully some people will enjoy it.

Last edited by CardJoe; 4th Feb 2010 at 14:39.
DarkLord7854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2010, 06:53   #2
glaeken
Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Gonna have to give it a go. I'm already feeling disappointed from the preview, so this isn't raising my expectations any.

I loved AvP2 also and was hoping this would at least be of the same quality.
Old 4th Feb 2010, 07:00   #3
DarkLord7854
Pew pew lazerz

DarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaeken View Post
Gonna have to give it a go. I'm already feeling disappointed from the preview, so this isn't raising my expectations any.

I loved AvP2 also and was hoping this would at least be of the same quality.
If you were really into AvP2, I think you'll be disappointed. I used to play it a good 30+ hours a week..
Old 4th Feb 2010, 07:05   #4
Gunsmith
Maximum Win

Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.
had a quick skip across some old school AVP boards earlier, not looking good so far from the negative backlash
Gunsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2010, 07:31   #5
glaeken
Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.glaeken is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Damnit I didn't know it was a mp demo. I just downloaded it for nothing. Couldn't find any matches either (not really the game's fault though). Guess I'll try again tomorrow.
Old 4th Feb 2010, 08:05   #6
dinjo_jo
Multimodder

dinjo_jo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Whats the size of demo ?
dinjo_jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2010, 08:19   #7
DarkLord7854
Pew pew lazerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaeken View Post
Damnit I didn't know it was a mp demo. I just downloaded it for nothing. Couldn't find any matches either (not really the game's fault though). Guess I'll try again tomorrow.
Yea I had to wait 15mins for it to connect to someone, the demo is P2P-only, though the retail will supposedly have dedi servers and a server list and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinjo_jo View Post
Whats the size of demo ?
A bit over 1Gb
Old 4th Feb 2010, 13:17   #8
Aracos
Elite

Aracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinjo_jo View Post
Whats the size of demo ?
1265MiB or something.

My first thought when I saw this on the steam feed was AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWESOME! But then I saw these comments and went all Is it really that bad? I thought it was looking to be really good.

EDIT: 1253MiB to be extact :P
Ragnarok: i5 750 @ 3200MHz | Titan Fenrir | MSI P55-GD65 | 8GiB Vengence 1600MHz CAS 9 | 1GiB 6950 DirectCU II | 60GB Crucial M4 | Samsung F3 500GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Seasonic X-750 | X-Fi XtremeGamer | HAF932 | Win 7 Pro | openSUSE

Last edited by Aracos; 4th Feb 2010 at 15:20.
Aracos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2010, 14:05   #9
Sutters
Silent lurker!

Sutters has yet to learn the way of the DremelSutters has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by storm20200 View Post
1265MiB or something.

My first thought when I saw this on the steam feed was AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWESOME! But then I saw these comments and went all Is it really that bad? I thought it was looking to be really good.
+1

Although I'll take a look.
Thanks for the heads up
Sutters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2010, 14:09   #10
UncertainGod
Ultramodder

UncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sound was crackling like mad, waited 15 minutes for it to connect to a game which than dropped out. Uninstalled.

PSN ID: Sp4rkR4t
UncertainGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2010, 15:29   #11
mjm25
Supermodder

mjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncertainGod
Sound was crackling like mad, waited 15 minutes for it to connect to a game which than dropped out. Uninstalled.
are you sure that wasn't the menu music? i loved that crackling sound.

took a while to connect a couple of times but when it was actually in the game the atmosphere was bang on. Controsl for the predator are a bit clunky and the alien is a nightmare... as a marine the motion tracker has my pants filling though!
Old 4th Feb 2010, 15:53   #12
bowman
Supermodder

bowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I hate deathmatch. Especially the random spawn, quake style collect-your-scattered-weapons deathmatch.

But at least the demo gives a taste of whats to come. The full game should be fun.
bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2010, 15:55   #13
Redbeaver
The Other Red Meat

Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
i posted my review on the AvP preview... so here it is again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeaver
aye, i just played demo too. interface kinda stinks since its all non-dedicated. full game hopefully.

overall experience is a plus. definitely frustrating when u can pick up cool stuff as preds but have no idea how to use them.... controls definitely the first thing u want to read before u jump in game. i was frustrated the whole first round thinking marines can't run! nor turn the flash light off.... after a quick read, i can cloak as preds, jump wherever i see, heal as marines, and spill my acid blood on marines. creeping out behind unsuspecting victims is always a blissful experience.
and who said marine is underpowered? hell, if u got a fair aim (and calm mind... coz u will get scared) just aim and spray, and ull obliterate everything. flamethrower is a personal favourite. burrrrrnnnnn.......... and xenomorphs is still one of the top class IF u kno how to play it. avoid the light, keep moving, and never EVER confront upfront. this whole walk anywhere stuff gets abit of learning curve, but once u get a hold of it... oh wow.... agility-just-like-in-the-movies.

minus points from demo:
- graphic is meh.... screenshot is way better. but then again i cranked all settings max on my q6600 @3.6 and 8800gts, and im getting way beyond 40~50. thats a good sign.
- sometimes laggy. whats with all the hosting, non-dedicated bullshit? u get random quick pick and somebody gets to be the host. if the host disconnected, the session crashed and u "migrate" to another "lobby". wtf....
- high learning curve in multi. better know what all those buttons for, boys. and shut that goddamn flashlight off, marine!
- AFAIK no option to get out of execution animation..... so make sure u and ur victim is alone in the room if u decide to play with ur food....
- no execution animation for marines? aw come on.....
- 18 players? can't we get 24?
- small map. but then again its only 1 map in demo.
- shotguns doesnt shoot that fast....

there's a couple more i couldnt remember right now, but overall excitement... yeah, definitely grabbing this.

but seriously. how DO you use ur picked up weapons as predator? damnit. i want my aiming lasers and spear!
And to add another minus...

....yes, Audio is pretty bad. voice from steam is bad. ingame effect is... stereo at best. no 5.1 stuff. and no "oomph". the variety is nice, but quality is low. which hopefully the full game is better.

as for connecting... took about 10min this morning for me to connect a quick match. last night was about 1-3 minutes. either way, once ur in, ur in all the way. the game wont drop unless ur seriously the last person online. it will just keep playing. i believe this is because it will REQUIRE a full 8 people to open a new session.

i assume once the demo picks up, there will be more people online.

but yeah. its intense.

ps: ROFL at mouse3 button for predators...... yeah. now i can see how Pres is slightly overpowered.... just dont let them pick up a weapon.
ASUS Z97i-Plus - 4670K - 8GB DDR3 - Zotac GTX 970 - Crucial MX100 256GB - Corsair 250D [Modded]
www.pecelayam.com

Last edited by Redbeaver; 4th Feb 2010 at 16:05.
Redbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2010, 16:33   #14
Aracos
Elite

Aracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run Crysis
I just played the demo and I actually quite like it! Although it was very laggy at time I imagine that to go when the game's released thanks to dedi servers, the graphics were ok, seen better but it did lack DX10 and 11. Still gonna pre order it because it was fun when it wasn't laggy and I bet it'll get better with a single player and different multiplayer modes.
Ragnarok: i5 750 @ 3200MHz | Titan Fenrir | MSI P55-GD65 | 8GiB Vengence 1600MHz CAS 9 | 1GiB 6950 DirectCU II | 60GB Crucial M4 | Samsung F3 500GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Seasonic X-750 | X-Fi XtremeGamer | HAF932 | Win 7 Pro | openSUSE
Aracos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2010, 17:18   #15
g3n3tiX
resident frenchy

g3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremelg3n3tiX has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
As soon as I manage (not easily) to find a game, at the end of loading I get a very nice crash to desktop.
Still haven't managed to play it.
Old 4th Feb 2010, 17:21   #16
Zero_UK
Hypermodder

Zero_UK is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zero_UK is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zero_UK is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zero_UK is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zero_UK is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zero_UK is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zero_UK is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zero_UK is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zero_UK is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zero_UK is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Zero_UK is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
People need to make sure they give it a really good chance. There is a lot of new stuff in there,

AVP cheesecake!
Zero_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2010, 18:29   #17
Redbeaver
The Other Red Meat

Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
ya, now im hearing that stupid crackling hiss...

no its not the interface ambience, its when steam users use their voice chat and trying to speak.... im assuming its a specific codec or some sort, not all of them. hopefully that'll get fixed on release.

but boy, people learn fast, lol.... theyre getting good now. and preds weapons rock! (just make sure u press and HOLD to aim) that shoulder mounted cannon > all.
ASUS Z97i-Plus - 4670K - 8GB DDR3 - Zotac GTX 970 - Crucial MX100 256GB - Corsair 250D [Modded]
www.pecelayam.com
Old 4th Feb 2010, 18:55   #18
Jenny_Y8S

I've tried it twice to day and it just doesn't find a game, they really messed it up. Demos should give you a taste of a game, this is just a taste of the pain.
Old 4th Feb 2010, 18:57   #19
Redbeaver
The Other Red Meat

try again later, evening hour EST, should get in within the minute.
www.pecelayam.com
Old 4th Feb 2010, 19:23   #20
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Still no luck getting a game on, this sucks!

[edit] Managed 20s with an Alien, no-one in sight to stalk and then the game leader left, killing the whole thing. Gay.

Last edited by Krikkit; 4th Feb 2010 at 19:30.
Krikkit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avp controls, avp demo