bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 4th Feb 2010, 12:25   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Sony considering PSN subscriptions

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...ubscriptions/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2010, 12:34   #2
Er-El
Supermodder

Er-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
50gigs of data! What is he on about...? Most of the games I'm sure take up less than 10gigs and it's only some of the Sony and CGI-heavy games with no effort in compression that take up almost 25gigs.
Er-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2010, 12:40   #3
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Bahahahahaha.

Yes, go on, make one of your few one-up points to the 360 a thing of the past.

It'll be glorious.
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2010, 12:42   #4
lacuna
Supermodder

lacuna has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very disappointing news since it was a major selling point for the PS3
lacuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2010, 12:42   #5
Omnituens
Hypermodder

Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
If they start charging for access to PSN, then they lose one of the advantages they have over MS.
Old 4th Feb 2010, 12:49   #6
Showerhead
Ultramodder

Showerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run Crysis
Not a good idea free internet gaming is one of the few advantages the PS3 has over the 360 at the moment. I've argued with people that the PS3 is cheaper in the long run in that with the 360 you pay £35 a year which will slowly addup. this removes that advantage.
Showerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2010, 12:55   #7
eldiablo
Multimodder

eldiablo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sure hope thats not really going to happen, dont really wanna pay money for the one time a month i play online
eldiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2010, 13:08   #8
smc8788
potato

smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
This has been rumoured for a while now and it seems extremely unlikely that you will need a subscription just to play online - it will only be required for certain 'premium content'.

[Steam] - [Battlelog]
smc8788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2010, 13:09   #9
smc8788
potato

smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
double post :/

[Steam] - [Battlelog]
smc8788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2010, 13:30   #10
Bursar
Hypermodder

Bursar has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I can see it working if they give something back - but they'll need a two tier structure, the same as MS has with Gold and Silver subscribers.

They could leave PSN completely free for those who don't wish to pay for it. These people won't be any worse off than they are now. For those that do subscribe, they could have earlier access to demos, or discounts applied to their accoutns if they want to buy PS1/PS2 games.
Bursar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2010, 13:37   #11
shanky887614
Multimodder

shanky887614 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showerhead
Not a good idea free internet gaming is one of the few advantages the PS3 has over the 360 at the moment. I've argued with people that the PS3 is cheaper in the long run in that with the 360 you pay £35 a year which will slowly addup. this removes that advantage.
id rather just use a computer, in the next 5 or so years there will be a working xbox 360 emulator and if youthink on it of terms of oeprating costs pc's wi nhands down becasue you have no montly subscription (except internet) when with the 360 you pay for internt (lets say £30 a month and 360 subcription thats allmost £400 pounds a year)

my computer runs graphics just as good as the 360 and it only cost me £160 for the graohc8is card and processor
shanky887614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2010, 13:39   #12
scawp
Multimodder

scawp has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You can already buy PS1 games from PSN
scawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2010, 13:41   #13
shigllgetcha
Come at me bro

shigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysis
now we know why backwards compatibility was removed.
Old 4th Feb 2010, 13:57   #14
BlackMage23
RPG Loving Freak

BlackMage23 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
what about those of us who still have a PS1 and PS2 collection? do we have to buy the games again if we want to play them on the PS3 cus that's what it sounds like.
Old 4th Feb 2010, 13:58   #15
Unknownsock
Supermodder

Unknownsock has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hmm PSN already pretty much sucks, why ould you pay for it?

Unless they do a dramatic change.
Unknownsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2010, 14:03   #16
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanky887614
id rather just use a computer, in the next 5 or so years there will be a working xbox 360 emulator and if you think on it of terms of operating costs PC's win hands down because you have no monthly subscription (except internet) when with the 360 you pay for internet (lets say £30 a month and 360 subscription that's almost £400 pounds a year)

my computer runs graphics just as good as the 360 and it only cost me £160 for the graohc8is card and processor
There is so much wrong with that I'm not sure where to start..

First off, counting the internet bill as part of the playing online package is ridiculous, especially if you don't include the same cost for your PC online gaming. But then, given the cost of internet per month, usually under £30, and the amount of things that are done online these days, I doubt it's really fair to include it as a "monthly" cost for gaming.

I think your timing estimates for an emulator are off. In fact, I don't think there ever will be one. What appears to be the major selling point for the 360 is the Xbox Live malarkey, which you won't get with an emu. Why bother putting all that work into porting the Xbox OS to a PC, dealing with all the hardware issues, only for no one to look at it.

I'll cite PS1 and PS2 emulators as an example - They're not fully functional even now. Chances are low that there will ever be a 360 emu that even remotely touches on the games list available on the console itself.

As for the costs? £160 now, yes, but what will that be when the next series of consoles are released? I don't know about you, but upgrades are pretty much at least an annual thing for most PC gamers, whether it's the entire box or just part of it. You also fail to take into account the cost of everything else that goes into a PC, and comparing that to a console.

PCs are more expensive, maybe not on console launch, but they will always have higher running costs than a console, purely because of the upgrade paths.
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2010, 15:32   #17
SNIPERMikeUK
Multimodder

SNIPERMikeUK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I wondered why sony sent me a web based questionaire recently that I filled in, and most of the questions were regarding subscriptions.....?
Old 4th Feb 2010, 16:07   #18
Cei
pew pew pew

Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.Cei is definitely a rep cheat.
As said above, it's likely Sony will have the PSN as it stands now as the free option, with a premium chargeable service on top. The questionnaire I filled in a while back on this very topic listed NEW features as the charging options (early access to demos, betas, enhanced Facebook connectivity, free PSone titles etc.), rather than attacking the current core competencies.

Overall, this would actually put the PSN in a promising position. The free option (ie: PSN as it is now) would be superior to the Xbox Live Silver offering, and the PSN Premium would offer far more than Live Gold.
Cei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2010, 17:32   #19
DigitalBoy0101
What's a Dremel?

DigitalBoy0101 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal
PCs are more expensive, maybe not on console launch, but they will always have higher running costs than a console, purely because of the upgrade paths.
Hmm, I must take exception to this statement. Gaming PCs are upgraded regularly, but only because the PC games themselves are becoming ever more complex and demanding of equipment. Were there a single, unified PC platform that gaming companies built to (see: console games), there would be no need to upgrade regularly.

Pretty much every household needs a PC, as it has many other uses besides gaming. A household does not NEED a console, it is a luxury. If you could only have one (PC or console), the smart money would be on a PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanky887614
pc's wi nhands down becasue you have no montly subscription (except internet)
This is not entirely true as well. MOST of the top PC games that are available for online play (comparing apples to apples since the main topic is about PSN) require a paying subscription. There are exceptions of course......and those that are free are subsidized by advertisements for the most part. The money always comes from somewhere.
DigitalBoy0101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Feb 2010, 17:56   #20
Farfalho
Supermodder

Farfalho has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
About the fee that's completely rubbish. About the full-size PS3 games being downloaded, he's right, there isn't such high speed broadband avaliable to all. It would require 10Gbit connections to be worthwhile
Farfalho is offline   Reply With Quote