bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 5th Feb 2010, 13:21   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The Sims turns 10 years old

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...10-years-old/1

EA and Maxis have announced that The Sims franchise, which turns 10 years old today, has sold 125 million copies sold.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Feb 2010, 13:30   #2
Rkiver
Cybernetic Spine

Rkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the DremelRkiver has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Would it have sold as well if they sold it under it's original name I wonder? Dollhouse.
Old 5th Feb 2010, 13:35   #3
Gunsmith
Maximum Win

Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkiver View Post
Would it have sold as well if they sold it under it's original name I wonder? Dollhouse.
yeah but with that title comes expectations of blowing them up with fireworks
Gunsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Feb 2010, 13:38   #4
livenoise
Virgin Modstar

livenoise has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
110 millions bits? So that's 13750000 bytes... only 13Mb of stuff has been downloaded... is that all? ;oP
livenoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Feb 2010, 13:57   #5
mjm25
Supermodder

mjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by livenoise
110 millions bits? So that's 13750000 bytes... only 13Mb of stuff has been downloaded... is that all? ;oP
+rep? on second thoughts, i don't want to encourage you.
Old 5th Feb 2010, 14:32   #6
matee
Multimodder

matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.
I could never understand what draws people to Sims. I find them absolutely useless and boring.
matee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Feb 2010, 14:40   #7
borandi
Multimodder

borandi has yet to learn the way of the Dremelborandi has yet to learn the way of the Dremelborandi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's 6 year old girls who get attracted to this. Or like my ex, she'd recreate her friends and family. Then get bored and uninstall the game. A few months later, come back and recreate everyone. Then get bored (repeat ad nauseum)...
borandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Feb 2010, 14:44   #8
Kronenbourg1664
Supermodder

Kronenbourg1664 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
10 years and not a single good game yet. Just goes to show that with enough money the advertising view can sell people not only their own feaces but also the entire gross feaces of all the cows in India.
Old 5th Feb 2010, 15:13   #9
Veles
DUR HUR

Veles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I enjoyed it back in the day but it's gotten a bit ridiculous now.

Sims 2 was a good build on the franchise, even if it was partly just a set up so they could re-release a load of expansion packs from the first game, but the third game, the third was pretty terrible IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod View Post
spam gangsters might as well tap into all those machines for their zombie networks.
Veles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Feb 2010, 15:25   #10
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The last good sim game was Sim City 2000.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Feb 2010, 16:04   #11
dicobalt
Multimodder

dicobalt has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I would like a Sim City 5 that plays true to the history of the series. None of that Sim City Societies junk.
dicobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Feb 2010, 16:53   #12
Farfalho
Supermodder

Farfalho has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sims is such a rubbish thing. If you want to have that kind of life, try to go out side for a second, it might suprise you
Farfalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Feb 2010, 17:55   #13
praxis22
Geek

praxis22 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is one of those topics where somebody asks a question and almost everyone responds with, "but why..." etc.

How comes the delete key doesn't work right in OSX (It does, get used to it)
How can can you enable rsh in UNIX/Linux (why not use SSH?)
I'm moving to X as Y sucks (please stay/you suck)

Given the bulk of the user base is female I suspect that if it were called "Dollhouse" it would have sold more initially. I've been playing it for most of that 10 years, though it would be more honest to say I've been watching sims walk about in the houses I build for them and telling to clean up after themselves and do their homework, for 9.5 years, and actually playing the game for maybe 6 months, if that.

You may equally ask why so few people play FPS games online, at least compared to the 125 Mn sims games sold/played.
praxis22 is offline   Reply With Quote