bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Tech Support

Old 10th Feb 2010, 10:56   #1
phinix
Say it! Who's your dremel?!

phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.
Can I use Wireless Router (Linksys WAG54G) as bridge?

Guys, I have a problem. For some reason my wifi adapters won't work with my P55 mobo under Windows 7 (32/64bit). I cannot route LAN cable thorugh all rooms, so I have one question:

can I use my old ADSL router as "wifi connection"?
Let me explain - I use Virgin Wireless N router now for internet connection. 2 other PCs are connected to it via WIFI adapters. Now, my PC doesn't work with any WIFI adapter I throw at it, so can I use cat5 cable to plug my PC to this old Linksys Wireless G adsl modem/router and connect that router "wirelessly" to Virgin router as "hub/switch"?
I hope it does sound clear what I want to do Help me uout, cause I cannot keep 20m network cable on the floor all the time, my missus wants to kill me!
star citizen :::
ARBITER: Origin Jumpworks 325A LTI
phinix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2010, 11:45   #2
theskirrid
Multimodder

theskirrid has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltheskirrid has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The simplest answer is to get a wireless device working on your PC.
What's the problem with them?

Or you could try the router in Wireless Bridge mode rather than Access Point mode, and connect it to the Virgin one. I have no idea if Netgear let you do this with their routers tho' [my Asus one does].
theskirrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2010, 11:53   #3
phinix

phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.phinix is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theskirrid View Post
The simplest answer is to get a wireless device working on your PC.
What's the problem with them?

Or you could try the router in Wireless Bridge mode rather than Access Point mode, and connect it to the Virgin one. I have no idea if Netgear let you do this with their routers tho' [my Asus one does].
There's no way to fix it cause there is some issue with that mobo, so I cannot fix it.
I need to go around it, using router as bridge would be good, I need to see how thatw orks tonight. Not sure if I can actually make this Linksys old router work as wireless bridge, not access point...
Old 21st Feb 2010, 01:49   #4
phinix

OK. Now, I sold my router, cause I couldnt use WDS with it.
Now, I was thinking about getting wireless access point (bridge) with WDS option, then connect short cat5 cable from my pc to this bridge and connect this bridge wireless with my wireless Virgin router... That should work.. right?

Using this access point? Its about £22...
Old 21st Feb 2010, 06:56   #5
Krog_Mod
Supermodder

Krog_Mod has yet to learn the way of the DremelKrog_Mod has yet to learn the way of the DremelKrog_Mod has yet to learn the way of the DremelKrog_Mod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wish i would have seen this before you sold the router. With a Linksys router you probably could have put DD-WRT on it and just enabled Repeater-Bridge mode and did what you were saying. I've never seen this done with an access point though..
Krog_Mod is offline   Reply With Quote