bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 11th Feb 2010, 10:17   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Google's Buzz causes privacy concerns

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...acy-concerns/1

Google's Buzz status update system - launched earlier this week - has journalists in a flap following the discovery that it automatically publishes a list of most common contacts.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2010, 10:46   #2
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
You know, it is "beta" for a reason .
Old 11th Feb 2010, 10:47   #3
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I logged into my Gmail this morning and disabled my Buzz contacts list, only because I don't want to broadcast private chats with the other half... she can be a filthy minx at times!!
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )
B1GBUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2010, 10:57   #4
Digi
The not-so-funny Cockney

Digi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run Crysis
Nothing can be the annoying peice of **** that facebook has become. Down with social popularity-contest websites.

A member of a mystical group of master-gamers. Find them hiding at www.tunedgaming.co.uk
Digi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2010, 11:02   #5
Unknownsock
Supermodder

Unknownsock has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Beta, and Google don't really go together really.

How long was Gmail in Beta? 5 years?
Unknownsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2010, 11:18   #6
billysielu
Multimodder

billysielu has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Buzz gives away too much real-time information about you, very risky.
billysielu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2010, 12:03   #7
hexx
Multimodder

hexx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i disabled it, don't like to share my private info with others, mixed contact list - friends and colleagues and plus it's google - recently i've been very concerned about info i share with them
Old 11th Feb 2010, 12:08   #8
Spiny
Multimodder

Spiny has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's actually worse than that. If you make yours private and a friend is following you who's contact list is public, you're email address is still exposed to all & sundry
Spiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2010, 12:24   #9
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin View Post
You know, it is "beta" for a reason .
What Beta really means today is a product/service that is in need of refinement. Since the web is ever evolving, many of these services are never 'completed' and always changing.
Old 11th Feb 2010, 15:21   #10
i7lova
Minimodder

i7lova has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
^^ Get out of here you tool!
i7lova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2010, 15:22   #11
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
You can just ignore it...
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2010, 17:18   #12
LucusLoC
Multimodder

LucusLoC has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
hehe "do no evil"

. . . oh wait. . . .
LucusLoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2010, 19:26   #13
DarkLord7854
Pew pew lazerz

DarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by billysielu View Post
Buzz gives away too much real-time information about you, very risky.
Yea that's why it's opt-in.

I don't get why people get so butthurt about this sh*t. You can remove yourself from it.

Do it, and quit b*tching, it ain't rocket science, it's a single checkbox and you hit Submit, and there, your stuff's private again.
Old 11th Feb 2010, 21:33   #14
ZERO <ibis>
Supermodder

ZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the DremelZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Actually for the google reader you need to go to the google reader site to set your privacy and that was a bit confusing. Also I still can not figure out how I edit my settings after I set it up as I do not see a settings option anywhere...
Old 11th Feb 2010, 22:30   #15
LucusLoC
Multimodder

LucusLoC has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
@DarkLord7854

it should be the default to have it hidden. i do not know how many sites have made this mistake in the past, but google has had enough privacy issues brought to their attention that they should know this by now. plus if you make your profile private it should not show it on other people's accounts either. it's common sense things like this that google always seems to miss. google apparently does not care about user privacy, at all.
LucusLoC is offline   Reply With Quote