bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 11th Feb 2010, 14:37   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Google moves into ISP realm

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...to-isp-realm/1

Google has announced plans to launch a trial fibre-to-the-home service which will see the search and advertising giant offering 1Gb/s Internet connections to home users.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2010, 14:48   #2
UncertainGod
Ultramodder

UncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ah, this story doesn't let the truth get in it's way at all does it?

There are conducting trials with up to 500,000 people (multiple small scale sites) to test new fibre rollout strategies that they can then pass on to ISP's in order to give fast network rollout a kick up the arse. Also it doesn't help remind ISP's that if they didn't improve their network and keep it open then Google certainly has the pieces in place to move into the market.

PSN ID: Sp4rkR4t
UncertainGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2010, 14:50   #3
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Any word up upstream speeds?
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )
B1GBUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2010, 14:52   #4
shanky887614
Multimodder

shanky887614 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
look at tomshardware there is more detail

and you have to vote for your town to do this and it is only availible in the us
shanky887614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2010, 15:16   #5
Stewb
Hypermodder

Stewb has yet to learn the way of the DremelStewb has yet to learn the way of the DremelStewb has yet to learn the way of the DremelStewb has yet to learn the way of the DremelStewb has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
125k bytes is now ulktra high speed broadband? Thought that was known as midband... or not even that... slowest broadband I know of is 2Gb/s....

yes, indded, out by a factpor of 1000

Last edited by Stewb; 11th Feb 2010 at 15:23.
Stewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2010, 15:21   #6
markoshust
What's a Dremel?

markoshust has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
you are incorrect. the slowest broadband you know of is probably 1Mb/s, not Gb/s. This is a thousand times faster than a 1Mb/s connection.

Last edited by Bindibadgi; 11th Feb 2010 at 16:06. Reason: Please be nicer
markoshust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2010, 15:22   #7
Stewb
Hypermodder

Stewb has yet to learn the way of the DremelStewb has yet to learn the way of the DremelStewb has yet to learn the way of the DremelStewb has yet to learn the way of the DremelStewb has yet to learn the way of the Dremel

Not enough sleep.

Oh yes. that really is quite fast
Old 11th Feb 2010, 15:28   #8
Digi
The not-so-funny Cockney

Digi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1GBUD View Post
Any word up upstream speeds?
Fiber should be a 1-to-1 link right? So up and down should be the same.

A member of a mystical group of master-gamers. Find them hiding at www.tunedgaming.co.uk
Digi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2010, 15:33   #9
Stewb
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digi View Post
Fiber should be a 1-to-1 link right? So up and down should be the same.
Time for me to stop looking like an idiot hopefully.... Maybe its technically a 1-1 link but my fibre isn't, ive got a 20Mb down but a 2Mb up, maybe thats just the ISP but its not necessarily a 1-1.

Last edited by Stewb; 11th Feb 2010 at 15:41. Reason: B/b
Old 11th Feb 2010, 15:40   #10
NuTech
Mod Master

NuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewb View Post
Time for me to stop looking like an idiot hopefully.... Maybe its technically a 1-1 link but my fibre isn't, ive got a 20MB down but a 2MB up, maybe thats just the ISP but its not necessarily a 1-1.
Sure you're not talking about a Cable connection?
Old 11th Feb 2010, 15:41   #11
Stewb
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuTech View Post
Sure you're not talking about a Cable connection?
Yup, definitely fibre, ill check, its either 2Mb up or 4Mb up, certianly not as fast as the down though.
Old 11th Feb 2010, 16:18   #12
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Fiber usually isn't 1to1. It's usually dedicated down and shared up (at least that's how it is here in Portugal). For home use at the moment we have 100Mbit down dedicated and 100mbit up shared between 5~20 households. For the industry there are a few banks (2 or 3) with 10Gbit.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2010, 16:25   #13
shigllgetcha
Come at me bro

shigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysis
but will it run onlive lol
Old 11th Feb 2010, 16:38   #14
TheStockBroker
King Battletoad

TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TheStockBroker is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Cloud computing, anyone?
Old 11th Feb 2010, 17:24   #15
SJS-1697
What's a Dremel?

SJS-1697 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Im sure this is all a plan for Google to get out there OS to more computers this will increase the speed at which the cloud os will load.

Also the fiber link that i use on a regular basis is 1:1 and thats in the uk, and i get about 50mb both ways.

so just depends where you are and how its set up but im all for supporting the fast internet connection
SJS-1697 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2010, 18:41   #16
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
"experiment with new ways to help make broadband Internet access batter, faster, and more widely available,"

can you batter the internet, does it taste nice with chips
Old 11th Feb 2010, 18:44   #17
Redbeaver
The Other Red Meat

Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Redbeaver - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
not available for Canada.... booo
ASUS Z97i-Plus - 4670K - 8GB DDR3 - Zotac GTX 970 - Crucial MX100 256GB - Corsair 250D [Modded]
www.pecelayam.com
Redbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2010, 19:39   #18
Blackie Chan
Multimodder

Blackie Chan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
http://www.google.com/tisp/install.html
These are their devious plans.
Blackie Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2010, 19:53   #19
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie Chan
http://www.google.com/tisp/install.html
These are their devious plans.
LMAO .
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2010, 20:01   #20
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Blackie you got the wrong date to post that one, 48/49 days early