bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 15th Feb 2010, 08:21   #1
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
How to take better photographs of your Mod

You might be a Dremel daemon or jigsaw juggernaut but if your project log is filled with dark, blurry photos, you're not doing your PC the justice it deserves. Here are some tips and tricks to make your project log sparkle.

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/guid...-of-your-mod/1

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2010, 08:24   #2
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Or another simple rule of the thumb : Ditch your phone and get a proper camera.
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2010, 08:28   #3
nlancaster
Multimodder

nlancaster has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Take lots of pictures. then pic the best of those to post is also a great idea. I always take at least 2 shots, more likely 3 or 4, of any particular shot I want to get.
nlancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2010, 08:51   #4
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Really interesting and in-depth article. Gets people who wouldn't normally even think about how their camera works taking better shots!
Old 15th Feb 2010, 09:06   #5
bahgger
Hypermodder

bahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youbahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youbahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youbahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youbahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youbahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youbahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youbahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youbahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youbahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youbahgger - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Awesome stuff! I just need a mod and a DSLR now! But seriously, this should go a long way in improving up and coming modders
bahgger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2010, 09:09   #6
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
1. Have enough lights around
2. Take enough photos
3. Don't necessarily post ALL of the many
4. If the photo sucks, don't post

Simple.

EDIT: Also top tip, you can grab a cheap and cheerful studio flash off ebay for Ł20. Make shooting product shots a real pleasure.

EDIT2: Oh
5. Shoot in RAW if possible
6. Edit your photos (levels, white balance, takes five seconds per shot and can make all the difference)

Last edited by Jipa; 15th Feb 2010 at 10:33.
Jipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2010, 09:33   #7
Kúsař
regular bit-tech reader

Kúsař has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Awesome!
I always wondered who's taking pictures of mobos at BT/CPC. Some pics looks really nice...
Kúsař is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2010, 10:00   #8
Javerh
Topiary Golem

Javerh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
A good guide and I completely agree with Jipa. I think another guide is in order about photoshopping the pictures before posting.
Modders make project logs. Project logs make mods. Mods make modders.
Javerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2010, 10:19   #9
InSanCen
Buckling Spring Fetishist

InSanCen is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.InSanCen is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.InSanCen is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.InSanCen is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.InSanCen is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.InSanCen is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.InSanCen is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.InSanCen is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.InSanCen is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.InSanCen is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.InSanCen is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=38260

One of these, 2 "Student" goose neck lamps, with a 100W reflector in each, and job done for under Ł30. Any tripod that will hold the Camera in a comfortable and stable manner will do.

I have 3 of those (Bought at Ł20 each... doh!), stitched together, and can photograph Midi-ATX cases easily.
Old 15th Feb 2010, 10:30   #10
stonedsurd
Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Great guide. In my opinion, good lighting is half the battle won.
Old 15th Feb 2010, 10:38   #11
Anfield
Hypermodder

Anfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio
Funny you should say that, some Phones have actually superior Cameras now compared to the cheaper point and shoot cameras (like for example the Samsung Pixon ones which simply can't be beaten if it comes to fixing what your shaky hands screw up).
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2010, 11:56   #12
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfield
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio
Funny you should say that, some Phones have actually superior Cameras now compared to the cheaper point and shoot cameras (like for example the Samsung Pixon ones which simply can't be beaten if it comes to fixing what your shaky hands screw up).
Perhaps, but DSLRs are always superior!
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2010, 12:00   #13
Axly
slo-mo...dder

Axly has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Perhaps the cheapest point-and-shoot cameras aren't included in the term "proper camera". I have yet to see a mobile camera produce photos that beat my old Canon a540 or even the Nikon Coolpix 3200 3Mpix cheapo. Both are used as "unfriendly environment" cameras (partycams) but both produce crisp, sharp photos with rich colours provided you have enough light.
Then again, though I'd consider using the Canon for taking in-progress shots of a mod, both are in my opinion borderline "proper cameras". I'd use the D60 and save the D300 for the final shots DSLR's are hard to beat.

Regarding the article, fantastic and much needed

|||||||||| ALUMINIUM
|||||||||| FIBREGLASS
|||||||||| POWERTOOLS - thirteenthirtysevenspthirtyfourk suxzerorz
Axly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2010, 12:01   #14
Axly
slo-mo...dder

Axly has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
(though, I haven't seen the Pixon one yet.. got to take a look)

|||||||||| ALUMINIUM
|||||||||| FIBREGLASS
|||||||||| POWERTOOLS - thirteenthirtysevenspthirtyfourk suxzerorz
Axly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2010, 12:05   #15
Dave Lister
Hypermodder

Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
This is a really informative and interesting article. Is there anyway i can save it as a favorite to my BT profile ? for future reference.
Main Rig:Case: BitFenix Prodigy, Motherboard: MSI Z97I Gaming, CPU: Intel i7 4790K, RAM: 16Gb 2400Mhz Kingston HyperX Beast GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming, Primary HDD: 256Gb Samsung 850 Pro, Games Drive: 1Tb Toshiba SSHD, Cooler: Corsair H105, OS: Win 7 - 64
HTPC:Case: Gutted out VCR, Motherboard: Asus AT5IONT-I, CPU: Intel Atom D525 @ 1.94Ghz, RAM: 4Gb 1333Mhz Kingston GPU: Nvidia Ion 2, Primary HDD: Hitachi 500Gb, Optical Drive: NEC ND-6500A Laptop Drive, OS: Win 8.1 32
Dave Lister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2010, 14:08   #16
Claave
You Rebel scum

Claave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lister
This is a really informative and interesting article. Is there anyway i can save it as a favorite to my BT profile ? for future reference.
add a link to it in your sig?

Win more things with CPC and bit-tech
Claave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2010, 14:15   #17
Problemchild49
What's a Dremel?

Problemchild49 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Interesting article, I think I'll dig out my old camera and give it a try
Problemchild49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2010, 14:22   #18
lenne0815
What has been seen cannot be unseen

lenne0815 has yet to learn the way of the Dremellenne0815 has yet to learn the way of the Dremellenne0815 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
thanks guys, nice read !
lenne0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2010, 14:29   #19
Pookeyhead
It's big, and it's clever.

Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.
Pretty good article covering the basics. It's really hard producing a simple photography tutorial, as you need to pitch it at a level for beginners, and include the theory basics in a way that doesn't involve theory. LOL.

Anyone wanting more, a few of us put together a thread years ago. It's still up...

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=129356
MAIN RIG |Intel i7 3960X @ 4.7GHz ¦¦ Asus Rampage IV Extreme ¦¦ 16Gb Mushkin DDR3 2133 ¦¦ 512GB Samsung 830 SSD ¦¦ 4TB of HDD Storage ¦¦ 4GB EVGA GTX670 Superclocked SLI ¦¦ Corsair 650D ¦¦ Eizo ColorEdge CG303W & Dell 2007FP ¦¦ Logitech Z623
EARTH| Celeron E3200 ¦¦ Gigabyte G31M-ES2L ¦¦ LSI SAS9260-8i ¦¦ 3TB RAID5 ¦¦ Headless - VNC administered
MOON | Thecus N3200pro 3TB RAID5
Pookeyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2010, 15:11   #20
ali_robb2000
Multimodder

ali_robb2000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good article covering a lot of topics.

I'd say manual mode isn't necessary most of the time. Aperture mode can be used for most situations as it's probably not necessary to manually alter the shutter speed when taking these kinds of pictures and exposure compensation can then be used to alter the brightness of the photo.

Regarding file formats, .jpg is a lot easier to work with (no need to use a RAW converter and most simple edits can still be done in Photoshop, including white balance). Also, the 'Image Quality' setting usually has a minimal effect on the detail of an image and the effect of altering this definitely wouldn't be visible once the picture has been resized and uploaded to the forums. It does make the file size a lot larger though, so I would always leave it set to 'normal'.

This site has a lot of useful info, especially the 'Why your camera doesn't matter' article!
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm