bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Recreation > Gaming

Old 20th Feb 2010, 05:58   #1
Ravenheart
Hypermodder

Ravenheart has yet to learn the way of the DremelRavenheart has yet to learn the way of the DremelRavenheart has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Steam download speed

Does anyone else experience really cr*p download speed on Steam lately?

I've spent a massive amount (£2.99 ) on Alien VS Predator Classic 2000 and it's downloading at a super slow (but steady) 60kbps and it's only 369 megabytes in total!

I know I'm on ADSL but this kind of takes the p*ss, because downloading from Microsoft or a similar fast site I get speeds easily over 600 kbps constantly which is 10 times faster than what I'm getting on Steam, it started off fast at 569 kbps but dropped very quickly to 60 kbps and no increase on that.

Can't be my firewall as Steam has access all areas to do what it needs to do and everything else from other sites downloads quickly, it's just Steam that's so slooooooowwwwwwwwwwww, anyone else have that problem?
Old 20th Feb 2010, 09:23   #2
smc8788
potato

smc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousmc8788 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Nope, I'm still downloading at 1.2MB/s here. Which ISP are you with? My first thought would be that they are throttling P2P connections.
Other stuff I own: [BenQ XL2411T/Dell 2407WFP] - [Razer Blackwidow Tournament Stealth] - [Zowie FK] - [Sennheiser HD800] - [Audez'e LCD2 rev. 2] - [Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies] - [Philips 46PFL9705H] - [Onkyo TX-NR515] - [B&W 685]

[Steam] - [Battlelog]
smc8788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2010, 10:32   #3
Teelzebub
Up yours GOD not a Modarator /Staff

Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.
Downloaded Alien v Predator yesterday a brisk 9 hour download started at 600kbp and dropped to 50kbp in the evening good old tiscali/talktalk.

Mountain mods case, Enermax 1250w PSU, Asus Maximus V Extreme, i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz, Samsung 840 250gb SSD. 500gb Seagate,Corsair H80i wind tunnel, 16gb Corsair Vengeance pro 1866mhz,4xEVGA GTX 670 quad SLI,4 bags of weed
Teelzebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2010, 11:01   #4
sHORNY
Modder

sHORNY has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
the worst times to download games on steam are the beginning of the weekend steam deal and ~24hrs of when the games are released.

Source from sHORNY
sHORNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2010, 12:18   #5
[PUNK] crompers
Dremedial

[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
try changing you nation to the phillipines or korea or something, those servers tend to have less load
| Main Rig | TJ07B-W | 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Sabertooth Z77 | 8GB Corsair Vengance | EVGA FTW 670 @ 1305Mhz | Samsung 830 128GB |1TB Samsung F3 | EK Supremacy CSQ | EK FC680 CSQ | Corsair HX650W | U2711 | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless | Xonar Essence STX | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm |
| HTPC | Lian Li Q11-B | AMD A10 5800k | ASRock FM2A75M-ITX | 8GB XMS3 2000 | 1TB Seagate | SFX 350W |
[PUNK] crompers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2010, 12:36   #6
DragunovHUN
Go ahead, spell my name wrong.

DragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run Crysis
Playing around with the servers can help sometimes. It always seems to connect me to some random server when i download something so if it's not fast enough i have to pick another one manually. Germany usually gives me 3 Mbytes/sec
DragunovHUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2010, 09:36   #7
MugenUK
Multimodder

MugenUK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I get around 200kbp but always try avoiding downloading from there at peak times.
MugenUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2010, 15:44   #8
BLC
Something witty goes here

BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.
I can often get around 1.5-2mbps (Virgin 20mbit cable), regardless of time of day. This is with the UK servers, too...
BLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2010, 16:15   #9
erratum1
Needs a new avatar !

erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.
I do alright on steam, with only 2 meg broadband i downloaded shattered horizon at a constant 240 kbps which is about as good as it gets.
erratum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2010, 16:26   #10
Sleepstreamer
I modded christmas!

Sleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the DremelSleepstreamer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've never gotten anything past 500KB/s on steam, even tough I'm on 50mbit fibre connection. Many of my pals often get above 2MB/s though so there's clearly something wrong somewhere...
"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo 1989
FSP - AC Ryan - Matrix Orbital - ASUS - G.Skill - Nexustek
Sleepstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2010, 17:28   #11
mjm25
Supermodder

mjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
+1 to changing your server location, sometimes gives it a good boost. i'm still set on a really random one somewhere in France, maxes out for me.
Old 21st Feb 2010, 17:37   #12
Porkins' Wingman
Can't touch this

Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.Porkins' Wingman is definitely a rep cheat.
Only used it once so far - 10gb of Dirt 2 - was pretty much a constant 230kb/s for me, which is as fast as my connection can carry it.
"Porkins' Wingman's post is just about the most thoughtful, inciteful post I have ever read on a public forum anywhere. It has made me think....which is no mean feat in itself." - Provoking thought since 8th March 2014
Porkins' Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2010, 10:42   #13
poo417
What's a Dremel?

poo417 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Funnily enough I have been getting the same. Changing the server does not seem to make any difference. I am on virgin ADSL. It has been for the last 2 - 3 weeks getting speeds of only 50 - 60 KB/s. Before I would normally get 700 - 800 KB/s from steam. I am getting normal download speeds everywhere else so I can only assume virgin have decided they dont like Steam any more. I think I will send virgin an email to see what they say. I fear it may be time for a change.
poo417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2010, 13:10   #14
Ravenheart
Hypermodder

Ravenheart has yet to learn the way of the DremelRavenheart has yet to learn the way of the DremelRavenheart has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Same here poo417, it makes no difference if I change the server to phillippines/korea or any of the others, it's constantly set at a pathetic 50-60 kb/s (60 being the max!!!!!!) and it's Virgin ADSL that i'm on as well.

Let me know if you here anything from Virgin as i'm also going to E-Mail the tw*ts.

Might be an idea to post here as well http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/.../bd-p/national
Old 1st Mar 2010, 13:45   #15
Ravenheart
Hypermodder

I've just worked out how long it'd take to download 15 gigabytes (which is the size of Alien VS Predator) from Steam at 60 kb/s!

3.5 megabytes per minute @ 60 kb/s = 210 megabytes per hour

Downloading 210 megabytes per hour for 24 hours = 5040 megabytes

So it would take 3 days solid downloading (that's the full 24 hours each day) to get the new Alien VS Predator game downloaded on Steam!

Pathetic!
Old 1st Mar 2010, 14:57   #16
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
It helps a LOT if your ISP runs its own steam mirror/cache just for its users. I Know Virgin Media (cable) does this, hence VM customers tend to get consistently excellent Steam download speeds.

As with all downloads though, if you're on ADSL with BT wholesale (ie, not LLU), you'll get packet managed and shaped to buggery as the bandwidth costs are £lol for ISPs.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2010, 17:18   #17
BLC
Something witty goes here

BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
It helps a LOT if your ISP runs its own steam mirror/cache just for its users. I Know Virgin Media (cable) does this, hence VM customers tend to get consistently excellent Steam download speeds.

As with all downloads though, if you're on ADSL with BT wholesale (ie, not LLU), you'll get packet managed and shaped to buggery as the bandwidth costs are £lol for ISPs.
That explains why my Steam downloads constantly reach the line speed (2.2mbit/s, on Virgin 20mbit cable)...
BLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2010, 18:00   #18
roblikesbeer
Bindi's sex slave.

roblikesbeer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.roblikesbeer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.roblikesbeer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.roblikesbeer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.roblikesbeer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.roblikesbeer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.roblikesbeer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.roblikesbeer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.roblikesbeer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.roblikesbeer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.roblikesbeer is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Ooo, I didn't know they did that! That's why I normally get 1.1MB/s on my 10 meg line
Intel Core i5 3570K ¦ Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H ¦ 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3 ¦ 2GB Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC edition ¦ 256Gb Crucial M4 ¦ 2Tb Seagate ST2000DM001 ¦ Win 7 Home Premium 64bit ¦ Hiper Osiris case ¦ 1440x900 19" Monitor ¦ Xbox 360 Elite
roblikesbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2010, 18:36   #19
Ravenheart
Hypermodder

What!! Virgin Media Cable customers get the cache but Virgin Media ADSL (National) customers get f*ck all, explains why the speed is so sh*t then.

Gonna have to look for a new ISP then.
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 11:48   #20
theskirrid
Multimodder

theskirrid has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltheskirrid has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
When my steam downloads slow down [which I always run from midnight to 06:00] I switch steam country settings to France. I don't smell, or fancy my sister, but this often gets a good speed when the UK specific servers are a bit busy.
theskirrid is offline   Reply With Quote