bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 24th Feb 2010, 10:06   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Google sounds death knell for IE 6

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...nell-for-ie6/1

Google has announced it is to officially drop support for Microsoft's Internet Explorer 6 in its YouTube video streaming service from March this year.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2010, 10:08   #2
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Besides web search this could be the best thing Google has ever done.

We need companies like this with the power to change the user base to push web browsers forward.
Old 24th Feb 2010, 10:11   #3
Singularity
Supermodder

Singularity has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
IE6 is old and broken. Just let it die already. Why continue to support it if everyone CAN upgrade to a normal browser? It's not like is forced to use it with no alternative (except enterprise users, but that's just stupidity on the IT department's part).
Time to move on, otherwise we'll be living in the past. Might as well support the ol' Netscape too
Old 24th Feb 2010, 10:13   #4
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Completely pre-empted me there!
Old 24th Feb 2010, 10:29   #5
antiHero
ReliXmas time!

antiHero has yet to learn the way of the DremelantiHero has yet to learn the way of the DremelantiHero has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thanks Google! Its about time. Luckily IE6 has such a small market share in finland (4%) that most devs dont support it anymore.
But if IT departments have not upgraded yet for other reasons why would they do it for Youtube support?
antiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2010, 10:44   #6
500mph
The Right man in the Wrong place

500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Now they need to put this on the search page to make sure plenty of people see it.

500mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2010, 10:58   #7
Mr T
4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Mr T has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
As a web developer this can't come soon enough.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.4Ghz - 4Gb Corsair 6400C4 - Abit IP35 - 256mb nVidia 7900GS
Corsair HX 520w PSU - Pioneer DVR-212 DVD-RW - 74Gb Western Digital Raptor - 320Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2010, 11:06   #8
Darv
Bling!!

Darv has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's a good step by Google. At work we are all stuck on IE6 for god knows what reason. However Youtube is banned during work hours it's not exaclty going to make our IT department want to switch.
Darv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2010, 11:25   #9
eddtox
Homo Interneticus

eddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
No sympathy for IE6. It should have died a long time ago and maintaining support for it isn't doing anyone any favours, least of all those people running IE6. It is trivial for most people to upgrade their browser to something more recent.

As for corporate entities, do we care? Surely the whole web-dev world doesn't need to maintain support for an archaic browser just because a few corporations refuse to upgrade. The IT Techs of said corporations should be aware of the benefits of newer browsers, and if they keep using IE6 despite all of those benefits, that is their choice and they have to live with the consequences.

IE6 was released on the 27th of August 2001 (eight and a half years ago). IE7 was released on the 18th of Oct 2006 (three and a half years ago) and IE8 was released on the 19th of March 2009 (nearly a year ago), it's not like people haven't had enough time to move on. Eight and a half years is an awfully long time in the Tech industry.

(dates are according to wikipedia)
Old 24th Feb 2010, 11:57   #10
Darv
Bling!!

Darv has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddtox
As for corporate entities, do we care? Surely the whole web-dev world doesn't need to maintain support for an archaic browser just because a few corporations refuse to upgrade. The IT Techs of said corporations should be aware of the benefits of newer browsers, and if they keep using IE6 despite all of those benefits, that is their choice and they have to live with the consequences.

IE6 was released on the 27th of August 2001 (eight and a half years ago).
As I recall IE6 was released with windows XP. Now how many people are still using XP?

I'm certainly not supporting IE6 but within a big company (for instance my company has 40,000+ employees) it's not just a case of upgrading everyones browser and it certainly wouldn't be some tech guys decision. It would be up to the management to approve something like that and they simply don't understand why it needs changing. IE6 works, to a degree, so they won't understand the benefits.
Darv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2010, 11:59   #11
Mongoose132
Smiles are free-Use 'em :D

Mongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run CrysisMongoose132 can run Crysis
Our whole School System still uses IE6, asked the Admins if they'll be upgrading any time soon after they saw this, and still no luck, wish we could get access to Chrome or FF, six feels so outdated after using the modern equivalents, after all the small short cuts and handy little things implemented over the years, it feels weird :P
Old 24th Feb 2010, 12:04   #12
SlowMotionSuicide
Come Hell or High Water

SlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for presidentSlowMotionSuicide should be considered for president
Too bad we're still forced use to IE6 at work

HTPC: i3-3225 | H77-Pro4-M | 4Gb Ripjaws | GTX 660 |120 Gb Samsung 840 | Corsair CX400W | Silverstone GD-04
SlowMotionSuicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2010, 12:33   #13
FelixTech
Robot

FelixTech has yet to learn the way of the DremelFelixTech has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Way to go Google, fighting old software and creating work for the IT sector at the same time!
Old 24th Feb 2010, 13:03   #14
V3ctor
Tech addict...

V3ctor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Still on IE6 and Windows 2000 here... And I'm forced to use it, it crashes every 5 pages...
Intel Core i7 4770K@4.5Ghz / ASUS Sabertooth Z87 / 2x4Gb Gskill Trident X 2400Mhz / 2x ASUS Matrix Platinum 7970 3Gb / Samsung T260 / 2x Corsair Force GT 240Gb raid0/ Corsair HX-850W/ Silverstone FT02R-Wi
V3ctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2010, 13:39   #15
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
This is exactly the sort of thing that needs to be done to encourage IE6 to die.
Corporate IT will sit up and listen, as YouTube is a major site.
The thing holding most Corporate environments back from upgrading, is the support costs. First off you have to deploy the newer versions, then you have to pay for support when a user calls the helpdesk and complains that their Web Applications (that were designed for IE6) do not work anymore. THEN you have to pay out to re-write or find alternatives to those applications, all the while taking the hit for the lost productivity, or rolling back changes.

I know this is somewhat simplified, and could be mitigated by good planning, but every corporate environment running IE6 will run into these issues.

Several sites have stopped working at work for me in IE6 - google maps locks up the browser, and Akamai control centre has critical Layout issues
badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2010, 14:58   #16
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darv View Post
Now how many people are still using XP?

I'm certainly not supporting IE6 but within a big company (for instance my company has 40,000+ employees) it's not just a case of upgrading everyones browser.
Me!
Also my work, and therefore IE6.

Personally I use firefox, but also in an older version as the last updates to a new version always killed my plugins/links. (and I'd have to kill the "awesomebar" again) *sigh*

New computer -> New OS -> new browser

Quote:
Corporate IT will sit up and listen, as YouTube is a major site.
Really? In my company Youtube is blocked...so is ebay.... (and the "Gaming" section of BitTech along with all other gaming related sites)
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2010, 18:04   #17
dslickness
Minimodder

dslickness has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
RIP EI6, you were good to us way back then. But now you are a dead horse that people are still beating.
dslickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2010, 21:10   #18
NiHiLiST
New-born car whore

NiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run Crysis
A 10% market share? Try 17%, it's best not to get browser usage stats from sites about web development, they tend to be somewhat skewed

As others have said, people using IE6 are either locked in by their company's software setup, or aren't the type to use YouTube or Google's "web apps" much. If this move causes IE6's market share to drop by more than 2% I'll be stunned. It's a shame, some of my clients at work could save thousands if that browser would just roll over and die.
Old 25th Feb 2010, 00:37   #19
deadsea
Multimodder

deadsea has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldeadsea has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm still on XP, but hell no to IE6. That browser is the reasoon why i need to have ie tabs installed on FF.

Personally, upgrading to Win 7 is a dumb option for me. Since when does the OS cost 60% the price of the hardware?
deadsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2010, 05:13   #20
Sparrowhawk
Wetsander

Sparrowhawk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose132 View Post
Our whole School System still uses IE6, asked the Admins if they'll be upgrading any time soon after they saw this, and still no luck, wish we could get access to Chrome or FF, six feels so outdated after using the modern equivalents, after all the small short cuts and handy little things implemented over the years, it feels weird :P
Tell them IE6 is a major security vuln. and that they need to switch to Firefox or Chrome. Seriously. If Google can be hacked because of IE6 (IIRC), anyone can.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote