bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 26th Feb 2010, 10:39   #1
Lizard
@ Scan R&D

Lizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run Crysis
Apple patent details signet system

A newly published patent from Apple reveals a touch screen system for recognising shapes - allowing for physical objects to be used to gain access to systems.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...ignet-system/1
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2010, 10:47   #2
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Touch is getting old... when will we see floating screens?
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2010, 10:51   #3
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.
and doesnt using fiducials do the same thing, is their patent legal?

Last edited by RichCreedy; 26th Feb 2010 at 11:01. Reason: spelling
RichCreedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2010, 11:24   #4
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Pointless. I'm not going to hold a key up to my screen to get access to the computer - why not just have a smartcard or (heaven forbid) typing a password? Holding up a physical key is clumsy, and how secure will it be? I can't believe it has the sensor resolution to distinguish a great deal of detail, so wouldn't any similar shaped key be recognised as the same?

Also, scratched screens, anyone?
Old 26th Feb 2010, 11:40   #5
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean007
Pointless. I'm not going to hold a key up to my screen to get access to the computer - why not just have a smartcard or (heaven forbid) typing a password? Holding up a physical key is clumsy, and how secure will it be? I can't believe it has the sensor resolution to distinguish a great deal of detail, so wouldn't any similar shaped key be recognised as the same?

Also, scratched screens, anyone?
Exactly what I thought.
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )
B1GBUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2010, 11:40   #6
scawp
Multimodder

scawp has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So in future to "hack" into someones account all I need is a piece of cardboard and a pair of scissors?
scawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2010, 12:52   #7
cgthomas
Cpt. Handsome

cgthomas has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ok.. This comment is not related to it.Ö
but when are u guys planning topost something about Nvidia's set release date.
Published on Monday on their facebook page, the GTX 4xx will be released 26th March
Old 26th Feb 2010, 14:44   #8
theskirrid
Multimodder

theskirrid has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltheskirrid has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'd guess they're fairly busy testing all the DX11 capable hardware already available.. They've only had 6 months to test and review the whole 5xxx series of cards, probably a bit behind.
theskirrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2010, 14:46   #9
cgthomas
Cpt. Handsome

cgthomas has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I actually meant that bit tech haven't posted anything regarding the release date announcement
Old 26th Feb 2010, 15:25   #10
cyrilthefish
Ultramodder

cyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysiscyrilthefish can run Crysis
Is it just me, or does anyone else cringe whenever 'apple' and 'patent' is mentioned in the same sentence?

My initial thought was: "what ideas/technologies are they trying to lock down this time?"

I think i'm getting a little paranoid
cyrilthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2010, 16:05   #11
TWeaK
Supermodder

TWeaK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrilthefish
Is it just me, or does anyone else cringe whenever 'apple' and 'patent' is mentioned in the same sentence?

My initial thought was: "what ideas/technologies are they trying to lock down this time?"

I think i'm getting a little paranoid
+1 and it's not just you...
TWeaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2010, 16:48   #12
Cupboard
I'm not a modder.

Cupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I thought the Microsoft table-thing already did that?

And other than that I agree with cyrilthefish and mclean007
Old 26th Feb 2010, 17:17   #13
flaming_goat
Modder

flaming_goat has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
oh no , i just stabbed my screen with my key!
flaming_goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2010, 17:21   #14
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
what if they gave you a glove with different shapes on the fingertips.. then you could be like micheal jackson.. apple users will bend over backwards for this
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2010, 00:15   #15
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.
anyone interested in touchscreen tech ( possibly building your own) look here , its has a good community following, and helpful peeps, and some open source software to help you bring it to life.
Old 27th Feb 2010, 00:40   #16
Furymouse
Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Furymouse has yet to learn the way of the DremelFurymouse has yet to learn the way of the DremelFurymouse has yet to learn the way of the DremelFurymouse has yet to learn the way of the DremelFurymouse has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Will it recognize my middle finger ( or two fingers for my british brethren ) when I flip it off as it crashes?
Old 27th Feb 2010, 15:06   #17
TSR2
Multimodder

TSR2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
22" touchscreen iMac?
££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ £££££
TSR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2010, 21:57   #18
Jenny_Y8S

I saw that illustration years ago, there is nothing new here!
Old 28th Feb 2010, 08:18   #19
kylew
Multimodder

kylew has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by scawp View Post
So in future to "hack" into someone's account all I need is a piece of cardboard and a pair of scissors?

"Crack" don't you mean?
kylew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2010, 14:02   #20
dec
[blank space]

dec has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
reminds me of fingerprint readers. good on paper and good in practice....when they work.

But you cant use cardboard and scissors to make a fingerprint so -1 to the idiot who thought of this.