bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 28th Feb 2010, 10:57   #1
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
How To Make Your Own Watercooling Reservoir

Gary Voigt, esteemed maker of the Art Deco Zenith 5-s-29 Radio Case Mod, takes us step-by-step through how he hand-crafted his very own watercooling reservoir.

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/guid...ng-reservoir/1

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2010, 11:26   #2
Jehla
Supermodder

Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Brilliant! Been looking for something like this.
Jehla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2010, 11:46   #3
robyholmes
I'm under your desk...

robyholmes has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Alas some modding! Great work bit-tech!
robyholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2010, 11:47   #4
PingCrosby
Supermodder

PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Excellent...well done and very informative
PingCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2010, 12:06   #5
The_Beast
I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Very nice, cool tubing trick too
- i7 3770k - MSI Z77A-GD65 - EVGA GTX 570 - 8Gb G.Skill Sniper (1.25v) - Fractal R3 Black - Corsair H50 - Corsair 750HX - Samsung 830 128Gb SSD - 6 Samsung F4EG 2TB - 2 WD Black 1TB - 2 WD Black 750GB - Dell UltraSharp U2410 - WASD V1 Custom - IBM Model M SSK - KBC Poker (Ergo-Clears) - Logitech Mx518 & G500 - Audio Technica AD700 - Logitech Z4 - Windows 7 Pro -
The_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2010, 12:14   #6
Tattysnuc
Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Do you not have to be carefulabout using metals in a cooling loop? I've read about galvanic erosion or something like that?

It's to do with having two different metals. Don't know much more about it than that.
Tattysnuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2010, 12:23   #7
Lizard
@ Scan R&D

Lizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattysnuc
Do you not have to be carefulabout using metals in a cooling loop? I've read about galvanic erosion or something like that?
Yes, different metals will cause galvanic corrosion, in which ions move from one metal to the other. It doesn't happen quickly, but it will eventually destroy your waterblocks/fittings/radiator/pump.

Which is why you should always add a corrosion inhibitor to the coolant (along with an algae killer too).
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2010, 13:18   #8
capnPedro
Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.capnPedro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
That's why things are nickel plated. It prevents corrosion. A rule of thumb is to use either all copper blocks/rads/etc or all aluminium blocks.

I <3 Aquatuning & Enermax long time!
capnPedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2010, 13:56   #9
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Or a cheap(er) res - cut up a water bottle. Use the bottle cap as the filler, and use two holes at the side for input and output. I used to use a bottle for pneumatics, so I did find out that blutack is something exceedingly airtight.
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2010, 14:35   #10
Yemerich
I can has PERSUADETRON?

Yemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Now THAT's a cool article!

Good work!
Hades (Best advanced casemod design CP-Brazil 2010)

Take a look on my projects here.
Yemerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2010, 15:03   #11
feedayeen
Multimodder

feedayeen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfeedayeen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfeedayeen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfeedayeen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfeedayeen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What about those of us who want the ultra large reservoirs that water beds provide?
feedayeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2010, 15:18   #12
Zurechial
Elitist

Zurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run Crysis
Great article, very useful and informative!

That trick with the tubing is excellent too, I'm definitely going to make use of that in future.
Old 28th Feb 2010, 15:50   #13
glaeken
Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

glaeken has yet to learn the way of the Dremelglaeken has yet to learn the way of the Dremelglaeken has yet to learn the way of the Dremelglaeken has yet to learn the way of the Dremelglaeken has yet to learn the way of the Dremelglaeken has yet to learn the way of the Dremelglaeken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Love the air pressure and tubing tricks.
Old 28th Feb 2010, 16:54   #14
Alec**
Minimodder

Alec** has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This article has fantastic timing!! Me and a mate are planning a old Stacker Res-Orection, the clue is in the name that it will feature a large (custom made) Res. Was planning to order the parts tonight and this article has helped (especially with type of plastic) Thanks! Should be posting results in a couple of weeks (might start a thread up on here).
Alec** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2010, 17:24   #15
disturbed13
Hypermodder

disturbed13 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
now thats cool
nice job
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanlon303 View Post
The modder in me says whack a hole, fool!
disturbed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2010, 17:45   #16
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
perfect timing! I am currently designing a reservoir for my project and i was wondering about using acrylic cement. I've used it plenty for bonding other projects but was a little worried about using it for a reservoir.

Also the tubing trick is awesome!
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2010, 18:58   #17
Xtrafresh
It never hurts to help

Xtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run Crysis

I'm absolutely interested in doing this, i have some very specific requirements for the res that's getting a key spot in my next mod. Great stuff man!
Old 28th Feb 2010, 19:33   #18
talladega
I'm Squidward

talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.talladega is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Excellent guide! I liked the part about forming the tubing. Very helpful!
Old 28th Feb 2010, 20:51   #19
Darkraven
Multimodder

Darkraven has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well done article, nicely written and good layout. Enjoyed reading it, course the information has tobe just stored on minds back page while waiting to get rich & famous to finally get into water cooling.
Old 28th Feb 2010, 22:38   #20
dslickness
Minimodder

dslickness has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thank you so much for posting a Modding Article!! Bit-tech.net used to have so many modding guides (some of the best), and then suddenly they trashed most of the guides.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I wish I knew more about Extruded Acrylic back then. I will come back to this page for info on tube molding.
dslickness is offline   Reply With Quote