1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel launches Atom Development Fund

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Mar 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Translated into English.
    "We can't design a CPU that can run existing things like Flash, so we want you to design software that will run on our substandard CPU."

3. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

it's called xp pro with stardocks windows blinds and 2 gig of ram.. too bad microsoft has so many restrictions on windows versions and the hardware it runs on- think limit is 1 gig, so your burning the straw at both ends

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

my thoughts exactly, but it would be great if they can release a clone of Synaptic package manager for Windows on netbooks.

5. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I dont have any issues running flash, but ehh I did slightly tweak my netbook. Either way could be interesting.

6. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Mine does flash fine too, unless its hd video from the beeb.

7. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

ah yeah youtube 720p.. can't do that- does 360p fine though

8. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Good grief, are you completely and utterly insane!?

Right now, if you want software on windows, you download the installer, run it, and run the software.

On any platform that runs linux-style "package management", you search for the software you want, install it, realise it's a crippled, ancient or undesirably modified version, fiddle with some text files, spend ten hours on IRC being laughed at by Linux weenies while you pry from them the information you need, fiddle with some more text files, type some cryptic commands, type some more cryptic commands, recompile your kernel six times, and finally end up with a software install that half works on alternate Mondays.

You want windows to be like this?

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

actually, my experience:

on windows, search for installer, download it and have to go through the installer, then go through some other source code that i have to compile by following its instructions line by line. and when the installer mucks up, your system will never be able to correctly install that software unless you do a re-install of your OS.

on linux, type in the stuff i want and the correct binary is downloaded. much easier and all the addon libraries for gcc/python installed on my Linux much, much easier than on cygwin, windows.

look at Cydia on the iphone, how well it is working, it's also based on the same repository theory as the package manager.

Tags: Add Tags