1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Second Hand Hardware

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Mar 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

What is it about 2nd hand parts that you hate joe?

3. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

I like upgrading my computer (as I'm sure most bit-tech readers do) so selling my old parts on Ebay has become second nature. Out of over a hundred items sold, I've only had one DOA, which isn't too bad. Without the second-hand market I wouldn't be able to afford new parts for my computer, so I'm sold. But like the article says, it's a seller's market.

4. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I always sell my systems for parts when I've finished with them; that's one of the biggest advantages of building your own computer. For reference, see how much your nasty Dell prebuilt is worth as components when it comes to upgrade time. I'm not sure I'd buy s/h electronic parts, though - I've bought peripherals like webcams, but the thought of s/h motherboards and processors fills me with dread, basically.

On the other hand, I am in the market for a s/h Lian-Li A01...

5. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Me? Nothing. I get Bindi to select my parts and build my PC for me. You should ask Antony though - I always get blamed for everything :(

6. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i have often touted the idea of selling my stuff but have never gotten round to it what do you guys think i would get for my media centre?

q6600
    asus p35
    4gb Ram
    320GB hdd
    x1950pro
    case could vary
    DVDrw

edit also whilst i'm asking

3600x2
    k9agm2 (690G based mobo)
    varing Hdd sizes
    variing cases
    4GB Ram
    DVDrw

7. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

I just bought a $160 case for around $100 yesterday from an online auction site. hopefully it'll get here soon so I can finish off a system build.
    I bought a GTX260 last year for around $210 when they were retailing at over $340 (I think), and it's been running perfectly and overclocks well. The guy selling it had downgraded to a passive 9600 GT cause the gtx was too loud. The card sounds like a vacuum cleaner, but once it boots into windows and the fan speed profile kicks in, it quiets right down.

I've done the gamble on a few " $1 reserve possibly not working" hardware, and it's payed off quite a few times. I only go for those when strapped for cash though.

8. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

got an attic full of stuff - really should get around to throwing stuff out or recycling via ebay, how's this for funny - got

ATI 9800 agp
    7800GT
    X1950xtx

my graphics history I suppose...

9. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Pop a price checking post up in our market place forums. Plenty of helpful people around give you some idea of what to ask for.

10. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

done ,

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

only bought second hand stuff from Bit-tech forums, never had any problems.

if you only bought from Bit-tech forums, you won't have any problems :) they are reliable people out there.

12. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Whole build before this one was almost all secondhand from 4 different sources across two forums - 939mobo, all the RAM and Athlon CPU, my final AGP card, in fact only the drives, PSU and case were bought new. That was back in 2005 and it gave me three solid years for next to nothing compared to the real cost.

So my next GPU is going to be secondhand, taking advantage of the race for the 5770, but once again buying from a friend instead of taking pot luck on eBay - I know exactly what I'm buying, whether you get the item as stated on the listing is always a crap shoot but I've never had any duff parts, for that I'm grateful.

13. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

i bought my qx6800 from ebay back in the day... the seller had no feedback so it was a massive gamble. something told me to go for it and i got it for £299 quid. DING! saved me 700 quid right there. yum.

14. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

If it's expensive AND sensitive hardware i always buy it new. Other than that i have no problems with used. I sell lots of old hardware though.

15. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

I have had great experiences so far in buying off V&A which is the marketplace section of Dutch techsite tweakers.net.

I think about 80-90% of my computer budget is spent there, and I also sell ooff all of my unused hardware there. There have been a few minor hiccups, but in all it's saved me a LOT of money and gave me access to upgrades i could otherwise never get my hands on.

16. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I love buying second hand, if you can cope with staying a bit behind the bleeding edge, you can get loads of bargains as the people ahead of you upgrade.

The only bit of my PC that was bought new was the hard drive, and that was because it was cheap.

17. BaronVonDuncs

BaronVonDuncs What's a Dremel?

How do you get access to the bit tech marketplace to look at the 2nd hand stuff thats available? Nothing in the FAQ about it that I could see.

18. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

I got an Asus striker board off ebay.

Turned up witout the CPU gaurd in place and at lest 3 pins bent, and seller refused to take it back.

Managed to pins back in place though, steady hand a fine pin did the trick. Tested it and flogged it to a friend, so recouped some of the loss.

Will be avoiding second hand hardware from now on, unless I personally know the seller (LAN party, friend etc).

19. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

iirc you need 75 posts and to have been registered for 30 days

20. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I hate selling something.. I'd rather keep it, even if it's to collect dust or even better, give it away to someone I know. The last PC part I sold was a first generation Phenom 9500 (2.2Ghz) which sucked balls. I am glad I sold it as it paid for half of my current X3 720 :)

Tags: Add Tags