bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 8th Mar 2010, 11:06   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
AMD launches Magny-Cours competition

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...-cours-compo/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2010, 11:25   #2
GFC
Multimodder

GFC has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yea, but can it run Crysis?
GFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2010, 11:30   #3
flibblesan
Destroyer

flibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC
-_-
flibblesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2010, 11:38   #4
Kúsař
regular bit-tech reader

Kúsař has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
With this I could compile 12 levels of Quake at once! Which means I can compile entire episode + additional 33% of levels of next episode at the same time. That's awesome!
According to the link on AMD blog competing Intel product is Westmere-EP(tri-channel DDR3 memory controller). Let's wish AMD some luck for a change...
Kúsař is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2010, 11:49   #5
dec
[blank space]

dec has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
If one frame is fully rendered by one core you MIGHT MIGHT get like 12fps

If i was going to enter id say 48 CPU's is better left for like government/military applications. Not like terminators but lets use the scenario where the police are looking for a murderer or something. Assuming there were camera's (or high res satellite images) a processor like this and enough RAM the computer could use the satellite's to take pictures of people who look like the suspect and cross reference that with where the crime happened and when and give the police a "its most likely one of these people" list.

Or the FBI could just watch you bathe for kicks.
Old 8th Mar 2010, 12:24   #6
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
one hell of a folding@home machine, ps its my idea, so anyone submitting it, i want half the processors
Old 8th Mar 2010, 12:28   #7
p3n
Hypermodder

p3n has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by dec
Quote:

If i was going to enter id say 48 CPU's is better left for like government/military applications. Not like terminators but lets use the scenario where the police are looking for a murderer or something. Assuming there were camera's (or high res satellite images) a processor like this and enough RAM the computer could use the satellite's to take pictures of people who look like the suspect and cross reference that with where the crime happened and when and give the police a "its most likely one of these people" list.

Or the FBI could just watch you bathe for kicks.
http://www.top500.org/

Welcome to Earth....
p3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2010, 13:09   #8
CharlO
Multimodder

CharlO has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by dec
Quote:
Like 48 isn't it? Thats likely to be playable.
CharlO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2010, 13:19   #9
Pete J
RIP Kidmod

Pete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC
I suppose someone has to ask it

I wonder if these chips are overclockable? Probably not but hey, we can hope. Cooling for these chips must also be quite large.
Lian Li PC-P80B / EVGA X79 Dark / i7 4930K @ 4.2GHz (no HT) / Corsair H80i / 4x4GB Avexir Core Blue Series @ 2400MHz 10-12-12-31-2T / 3x SLI EVGA 3GB GTX 780 @1075MHz Core 7000MHz Memory / X-Fi Titanium Professional / 2 x 250GB Samsung 840 / 120GB Vertex 2 / 480GB Vertex 2 / 2TB WD Caviar Green / Silverstone Strider 1500W / Asus PQ321QE / Dell 3007WFP-HC / Headphones TBA / Logitech MK710 and MX3200 / Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 / Datacolor Spyder3 / Win 7 Ultimate x64 / Gigabyte P34G V2
Pete J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2010, 13:49   #10
eddtox
Homo Interneticus

eddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i just hope they don't start trying to tell us that we need 48 cores in our pcs. i think it's a great achievement, but the average joe shouldn't need more than 4 cores at the very most, with one or two still being the sweet spot.
Old 8th Mar 2010, 14:35   #11
TomH
Bwahahahahaha

TomH has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddtox
i just hope they don't start trying to tell us that we need 48 cores in our pcs. i think it's a great achievement, but the average joe shouldn't need more than 4 cores at the very most, with one or two still being the sweet spot.
Yes, but this is the future, not the present.
Old 8th Mar 2010, 15:22   #12
Brooxy
Like a boss (but not a boss)

Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.
I think the winning reason will be:

The best use of 48 cores is having them because we can
Brooxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2010, 15:27   #13
tad2008
Supermodder

tad2008 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You forget to mention that this is ONLY open to U.S. Residents which leaves us in the U.K. out in the cold once again...
tad2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2010, 15:28   #14
tad2008
Supermodder

tad2008 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Cleans glasses, then re-reads.... <looks abashed>
tad2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2010, 18:28   #15
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KĂşsař
With this I could compile 12 levels of Quake at once!
Finally, a sensible application for all that expensive tech.

Current project: Metaversa 02 Ada.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2010, 18:38   #16
Farfalho
Supermodder

Farfalho has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I thought this would have x64-bit architecture! For AMD claiming the first x86 12-core processor, I'm a bit disappointed but well, it has 12 core, hurray!

A great way to make use of that is by making real-life simulations in engineer, better, faster and more accurate simulations and medicine. It can also be used to guess the loto and euromillions numbers which could be a cheap investment xD
Farfalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2010, 19:04   #17
brave758
Ultramodder

brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.brave758 is definitely a rep cheat.
I already posted this

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=184316

But ya my title could have been better. Hindsight, great eh.

Last edited by brave758; 8th Mar 2010 at 19:17.
brave758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2010, 21:48   #18
Sloth
#yolo #swag

Sloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming Saiyan
The world's most badass paper weight.
Old 9th Mar 2010, 01:56   #19
Vigilante
Minimodder

Vigilante has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfalho
I thought this would have x64-bit architecture! For AMD claiming the first x86 12-core processor, I'm a bit disappointed but well, it has 12 core, hurray!
It is 64-bit, the article just mentioned x86 to refer to the class of processor (in comparison to ARM-type architectures). It would be extremely silly for a quad opteron system with 32 memory slots and 48 cores to have no more than 4gb of memory address space :P
Vigilante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Mar 2010, 08:43   #20
crazyceo
Banned

crazyceo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
AMD cause uproar with their recent 12-Core release as it "EPIC FAILS!" when it's beaten in benchtests by Intel's Q6600. You know it's going to happen!
crazyceo is offline   Reply With Quote