bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 8th Mar 2010, 13:46   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
MW2 lawsuit reveals Activision's "unbridled greed"

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2010/03...-s-unbridled/1

The lawsuit between ex Infinity Ward founders and Activision has accused the publisher of quantity over quality.

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2010, 13:56   #2
eddtox
Homo Interneticus

eddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good for them. I hope they win and I hope they use the money to fund kickass games.
Old 8th Mar 2010, 13:58   #3
TWeaK
Supermodder

TWeaK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ha, I thought the game itself revealed Activision's greed.
TWeaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2010, 14:05   #4
Denis_iii
Ultramodder

Denis_iii has yet to learn the way of the DremelDenis_iii has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddtox
Good for them. I hope they win and I hope they use the money to fund kickass games.
+1

but only 36million? they should be going for 100million min
Denis_iii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2010, 14:08   #5
Cruelinios
EvE Addict

Cruelinios is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Cruelinios is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Cruelinios is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Cruelinios is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Cruelinios is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Cruelinios is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Cruelinios is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Cruelinios is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Cruelinios is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Cruelinios is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Cruelinios is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Bah, this is another good reason of recent for me to not buy another Activision title. Burning out employee's creativity by demanding breakneck deadlines to then make billions of dollars and as a thanks, fire the pair responsible is rediculous.

Well done Activision
Old 8th Mar 2010, 14:18   #6
kylew
Multimodder

kylew has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is the fourth time today that I've seen "brought" spelt as "bought" and "its" spelt as "it's" (it's = it is).

What's going on?

Last edited by kylew; 9th Mar 2010 at 14:12.
kylew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2010, 14:28   #7
ssj12
Hypermodder

ssj12 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_iii
Quote:
+1

i think the 36 million is general pay. They state and royalties, which would probably bring that number up to 100 million or more.
ssj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2010, 14:28   #8
AcidJiles
Supermodder

AcidJiles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_iii
Quote:
+1

The Modern Warfare name is probably worth 250 million or more.
AcidJiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2010, 14:34   #9
AshT
Custom User Title

AshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the DremelAshT has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddtox View Post
QFT
AshT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2010, 14:49   #10
cjoyce1980
Supermodder

cjoyce1980 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
activision can have the CoD/Modern Warfare name, if the game is made by the guys original behind the game then i wont even think about a purchase.

West and Zampella 1 - 0 Activision
cjoyce1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2010, 14:54   #11
Artanix
puts the king in Lurking.

Artanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArtanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArtanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArtanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArtanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArtanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArtanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArtanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArtanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArtanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitArtanix is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
The unfortunately reality of this is that Activision probably saw this coming from the start, and planned for this situation to arise a long time ago. It wouldn't surprise me if they have clauses in all contracts that effectively let them do anything they want with the staff of IW and the CoD IP...
.. Unless Activision are truly that stupid to fire them without thinking of this outcome? They do seems to be packing a fair amount of stupidity these days.
Old 8th Mar 2010, 15:24   #12
rickysio
N900 | HJE900

rickysio has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I do hope they win and start another company, and trounce Activision's future titles in sales.
rickysio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2010, 15:30   #13
FreQ
Minimodder

FreQ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Normally I don't have a big opinion on these cases, but Activision are killing the Guitar Hero brand as well by flooding the market with sequels to make a quick buck.

So I agree with Infinity Ward. Good luck to them
FreQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2010, 16:08   #14
13eightyfour
Formerly Titanium Angel

13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.13eightyfour is definitely a rep cheat.
The sad thing is apart from us PC gamers nobody cares, ive spoke to loads of people since the story came to light and they didnt have a clue what i was going on about. Console players will buy up games regardless of who makes them, i dont know a single console gamer that understands the difference between the platform they play, the devs or publishers tbh.

I hope activision fail and in a big way, id love to see them lose the MW games, but US lawsuits never seem to go as expected.
13eightyfour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2010, 16:08   #15
chimaera
Multimodder

chimaera has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Bearing in mind that Call of Duty first came about after Infinity Ward was formed from EA coders not wanting to get locked into the Medal of Honour franchise then I'm not hugely suprised they don't want to get locked into doing Modern Warfare games for the rest of time either
chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2010, 16:34   #16
Gunsmith
Maximum Win

Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.Gunsmith is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanium angel
The sad thing is apart from us PC gamers nobody cares, ive spoke to loads of people since the story came to light and they didnt have a clue what i was going on about. Console players will buy up games regardless of who makes them, i dont know a single console gamer that understands the difference between the platform they play, the devs or publishers tbh.
yet they have the gaul to call us elitest because we actually care about the gaming industry.
Gunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2010, 16:41   #17
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I think you'll find they call us a bunch of pirates... :/
Old 8th Mar 2010, 17:05   #18
Kúsař
regular bit-tech reader

Kúsař has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It seems that most of the big publishers went completely crazy - Activision, Ubi, EA...I'm not supporter of "OMG commerce it's bad!" crap but it looks like that when games were recognized as a serious industry all sorts of insensible bussinessmen invaded these publishers and started "ruining" them(games, PC gaming in general...). Developers are "software factories" for them.

I hope that this fight between ex-IW employees and Activision will be an example for all independent developers out there so that they choose publisher more carefuly...
Kúsař is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2010, 17:09   #19
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Why don't they cut out publishers and only release over Steam? I assume Valve take a cut, but it'd save a load of bellyache.
Old 8th Mar 2010, 17:21   #20
DirtyH
Minimodder

DirtyH has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenco_uk
Why don't they cut out publishers and only release over Steam? I assume Valve take a cut, but it'd save a load of bellyache.
because only big publishers have the money to make big games like MW2.