bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 15th Mar 2010, 10:12   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Valve looking to OpenGL means Microsoft should be worried

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2010/03...ing-to-opengl/

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2010, 10:33   #2
Hg
The game known as life

Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Hg is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
nice little read and very true, this has been a great move by valve and I welcome it and hope this will lead to native steam/source on linux

There is a slight typo in the blog.
Quote:
and the thoughtfulness of features such as SteamCloud, where you won’t need to repurchase games
Steamplay is the feature which means you won't have to repurchase games.
SteamCloud is the feature which saves game data and configs remotely.
Therefore I think it should read
Quote:
and the thoughtfulness of features such as SteamPlay, where you won’t need to repurchase games
Trident- My first case mod, Project Log
Hg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2010, 10:34   #3
UncertainGod
Ultramodder

UncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
OpenGL has been able to do tessellation for ages, it's not a new thing being added. Other than that good article, I am of the belief that the mac market is just a happy bonus of Valve separating itself from being tied to Microsoft as a technology provider.

PSN ID: Sp4rkR4t
UncertainGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2010, 10:36   #4
Centy-face
Caw?

Centy-face has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well I for one would love to cast aside windows and for OpenGL to really replace DX it needs companies like Valve to jump in even if it is only in the shallow end with armbands on.

Wolfire did a blog post a while back pointing out the great advantages Opengl has over DirectX since they are building Overgrowth to work on Mac Windows and Linux they must know what they are talking about.

I think that PC gamings future could be in OpenGL without windows but we need more companies to give it a go.
Centy-face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2010, 10:43   #5
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I'd love to run an incredibly trimmed down linux distro dedicated to gaming.

Are we getting closer to that dream?
Old 15th Mar 2010, 10:57   #6
Mentai
Hypermodder

Mentai has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's kinda funny to me that this is happening now. I mean, I haven't been more happy with MS. Windows 7 has never caused me a single problem and I'm at the point where software is lagging behind hardware enough that any performance gains I'd get from a linux distro would be negligible.

If this had been 5 years ago I'd have been extremely happy but now... Good for Valve, I guess?

I suppose it's also good for people with lower spec hardware.
Mentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2010, 11:40   #7
StoneyMahoney
Multimodder

StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!StoneyMahoney - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
It's certainly good that OpenGL will be running a widely-used gaming platform. However, I'm interested in seeing what kind of performance hit will be involved.

WoW, one of the few games that runs natively on both Windows and OS X, runs noticeably slower under OS X than Windows/Boot Camp. FPS drops about 20% and there are a few notable drops in image quality - ground vegetation popping up instead of fading for example. How much of this is down to the graphics library or Blizzard's programming is tough to say, but MS can't be too worried when all the graphics hardware/drivers currently available is specifically tuned for DirectX performance, with OpenGL being something of an afterthought.
StoneyMahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2010, 11:42   #8
blood69
Minimodder

blood69 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If openGL begins to gain terrain to DirectX, its about time Microsoft check the recent technology behind openGL. If it came just a little close to DirectX, Microsoft should Sue the Suck3r5 like every big corporation this days. Microsoft gets sued all the time for stupid things. If companies like Apple can sue every one because someone drops a Fart that smelled the same, why not Microsoft.
blood69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2010, 11:44   #9
barndoor101
Bring back the demote thread!

barndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysisbarndoor101 can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi1ez View Post
I'd love to run an incredibly trimmed down linux distro dedicated to gaming.

Are we getting closer to that dream?
graphics drivers for linux are pretty terrible though, but if there is demand like this then i can imagine AMD/Nvidia pulling their collective fingers out.
barndoor101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2010, 12:11   #10
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
is it true that OpenGL 4.0 isn't supported on those Dx11 Raedon cards?
Old 15th Mar 2010, 12:14   #11
UncertainGod
Ultramodder

UncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the DremelUncertainGod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
OpenGL 4 isn't supported on any hardware yet, it was only announced on the 12th.

PSN ID: Sp4rkR4t
UncertainGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2010, 12:45   #12
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
nVidia's Fermi apparently will be supporting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by source
NVIDIA's next-generation GeForce 400-series graphics cards, codenamed Fermi, are thought to offer full support for the OpenGL 4.0 specification. AMD, meanwhile, has commented on the release by calling it "another major accomplishment for the OpenGL ARB".
but then, by the time Fermi is available to buy, 6870 will also be on the shelf.
Old 15th Mar 2010, 13:48   #13
NikoBellic
Tech Addict

NikoBellic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I imagine that many devs will see the move to OpenGL as the next logical step since the PS3 is based on OpenGL, so the move to OpenGL would mean compatability with Windows, Mac, Linux and the PS3, where as DX is only a Windows and XB360 thing And many devs have recently said that the PS3 is soon to become the market leader (out of the consoles), So the move to OpenGL looks like a win win decision for the devs now. And who knows, this might just be the kick up the rear that MS need to start improving the experience for the PC Gamers on the Windows platform, and it might force them to bring Alan Wake to PC in DX11 since most decent games may start using OpenGL and work better on a light weight (Gaming) Linux OS
NikoBellic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2010, 15:36   #14
Shagbag
All glory to the Hypnotoad!

Shagbag has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
More choice = good news for consumers.
Shagbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2010, 15:47   #15
Cyberpower-UK
Professional Overclocker

Cyberpower-UK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You've all got it wrong. Steam on Mac's will get the iTunes effect and become the default location for buying digitally distributed games (as I'm sure it is for many other PC gamers).
Old 15th Mar 2010, 16:06   #16
Thedarkrage
Thats not a pic of me its my gf

Thedarkrage has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I did point this out when valve said it was putting there games on the mac. Microsoft need a kick up the ass in fact i would love to stop using it if i could but I'm not getting a mac would love more games on Linux OS
i7 4770K@4.4GHz - H100i - Asus MAXIMUS VI HERO - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 -Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Windforce 3X - 120GB OCZ Agility 3 - 3TB 2.5" HDD + 1TB 2.5" HDD - Coarsai AX760I Series PSU - Coolermaster Cosmos S - Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX RED - Cyborg R.A.T M.M.O.7 - Win8.1 + start8
Thedarkrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2010, 16:57   #17
Furymouse
Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Furymouse has yet to learn the way of the DremelFurymouse has yet to learn the way of the DremelFurymouse has yet to learn the way of the DremelFurymouse has yet to learn the way of the DremelFurymouse has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good on Valve for pushing for OpenGL, however I see no real benefit to this. If it is only Source games that get the Open GL treatment, then Im still going to need windows for all my other games.
Old 15th Mar 2010, 20:04   #18
bodkin
Overheating

bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!bodkin - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
The fact that steam uses real currency puts it miles ahead of the buggy GFWL and its toy money. I hope they do become market dominant because of this, bollocks to dvds
bodkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2010, 08:42   #19
gavomatic57
I Mod, Therefore I Own

gavomatic57 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelgavomatic57 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Valve is able to do this because it has incorporated OpenGL into Steam – making it perhaps the biggest game engine at the moment that’s not solely DirectX
Last time I checked, Steam wasn't a game engine. Don't you mean Source?

Encouraging article though!
gavomatic57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2010, 11:52   #20
Elledan
Hypermodder

Elledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run Crysis
Few people realize apparently that OpenGL is already the main graphics API by a few metric light years, as it is used everywhere where DirectX doesn't go: all gameconsoles, handhelds, smartphones and much more.

OpenGL 4 will run on all videocards we already know to be DX11-compatible. OpenGL 3.3 will be the version supported by cards prior to these.

My company's in-house game engine also uses OpenGL. We decided early in the development process to use this API because it's the most open, non-proprietary (ever read the DX SDK EULA?) and runs virtually everywhere. It's good to see that this API is getting more love from large studios like Valve.
"Psychology is just meta-hacking an OS that was randomly bashed out by a million monkeys on typewriters over a few billion years and runs on constantly changing, badly shielded hardware with a lot of legacy design issues. I think." - Nexxo
www.mayaposch.com - my site and blog.
www.nyanko.ws - my company's site.
Elledan is offline   Reply With Quote