bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 17th Mar 2010, 10:45   #1
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
IE9 preview brings GPGPU acceleration

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...acceleration/1

Microsoft has released a platform preview of Internet Explorer 9, which brings a multi-core JavaScript engine and GPGPU graphics rendering to boost performance.

Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2010, 10:52   #2
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Well done M$.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2010, 11:05   #3
wgy
Supermodder

wgy has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwgy has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwgy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i have a suggestion, please can you allow a "click big" option for your new article images?

whats the point in having an image if you cant read it?
surely im not the only one who struggles to read the text in it?

thankyou!
wgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2010, 11:06   #4
theskirrid
Multimodder

theskirrid has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltheskirrid has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I expect we'll see nvidia vs ati benchmarks for Crysis, Heaven, AVP and IE9 now
theskirrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2010, 11:07   #5
BentAnat
Software Dev

BentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for president
Opera 10.50 scores 100/100 in the ACID3 test... first browser I've seen that hits that.
Old 17th Mar 2010, 11:28   #6
zabe
Perfect in my imperfection

zabe has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentAnat View Post
Opera 10.50 scores 100/100 in the ACID3 test... first browser I've seen that hits that.
actually... not to ditch opera, but Chrome has been getting a 100/100 score in Acid3 for a looooooooooooooooooooooong time now...
in any case, i just compared the performance of ie9/chrome/ie8/firefox and ie9 renders at incredible speeds where the rest of the browsers are stuck at 2-3 fps... ie9 meanwhile rendering at 64 fps. i'm impressed!!
Old 17th Mar 2010, 11:29   #7
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgy View Post
i have a suggestion, please can you allow a "click big" option for your new article images?

whats the point in having an image if you cant read it?
surely im not the only one who struggles to read the text in it?

thankyou!
+1

Other than that: Thanks, I'll stay with FF. But it's good to see MS learn and improve.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Iš! Iš! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2010, 11:38   #8
javaman
May irritate Eyes

javaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for president
come on chrome lol. Might be enough to switch back to firefox or IE. Depends on security first and foremost tho then speed.
javaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2010, 11:45   #9
leveller
Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

leveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I might have to ditch Safari ...
leveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2010, 12:03   #10
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
GPU rendering is a big win, but it is disappointing that, while IE9 annihilates IE8 on JS performance, it is still waaaaaaaaaay behind Safari, Chrome and Opera's latest efforts, all of which lay the smack down pretty hard on IE9.

Boasting that "IE9 is quicker than IE8" is much like bragging that your 1.2l 1982 Lada Riva would thrash round the NŁrburgring quicker than an 80 year old man, in a zimmer frame, recovering from a triple heart bypass and a particularly nasty bout of pneumonia. Doubtless true, but not much of a selling point.
Old 17th Mar 2010, 12:04   #11
lacuna
Supermodder

lacuna has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
until IE supports mouse gestures I am not interested
lacuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2010, 12:17   #12
bb_vb
What's a Dremel?

bb_vb has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Not to nit-pick, but this doesn't appear to have anything to do with *GP*GPU; they're using GPUs for what they've always been for: graphics rendering. If they were doing real-time encryption, or video decoding, or physics simulation on the hardware then that would be GPGPU.

It's still cool though, and I imagine it will really spur the development of graphics-intensive online games etc.
bb_vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2010, 12:53   #13
Almightyrastus
Engineering the awesome

Almightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Now we just need 64bit flash for windows and we are all set..................

/*not holding breath*/
Lo there do I see my Father. Lo there do I see my Mother, and my Sisters and my Brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.
Almightyrastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2010, 13:54   #14
hexx
Multimodder

hexx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
hmm is it possible that those results are achieved not by browser but with the fact that IE is using Direct X? if yes then we're locked to win platform, would make sense to use Open GL/CL - implement support in all browsers and run the test again
Old 17th Mar 2010, 14:07   #15
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacuna View Post
until IE supports mouse gestures I am not interested
I'm with you there. I'm a mouse gesture addict. FF 3.6 broke All-In-One Gestures and I am not happy!
Old 17th Mar 2010, 14:08   #16
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
imagine: Firefox + OpenGL/CL + multi-core support + all its plug-ins still work.......

well done MS, setting a very good example of how browsers should move towards, hardware-utilisation-wise.
Old 17th Mar 2010, 14:22   #17
BentAnat
Software Dev

BentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for president
So what if IE uses DX... it's not like IE has a massive market outside of the WIN world.
I, for one, am happy that they're pushing hard. IE6 < IE7 < IE8, and hopefully, < IE9

Javascript rendering is really not everything. Bigger than that is HTML5/CSS3 capabilities.
Lots of Javascript becomes obsolete with HTML5/CSS3. I'm no expert on the subject (i just toyed with basic CSS3), but there's a lot to be said about native HTML/CSS animations. Complete menus without touching Javascript, complex animation, 3D transformation.
IMHO, all the guys going on about sheer Javascript power are wang-waving.

Safari is CSS3 king ATM. If IE9 can compete with that, or even offer up to FF levels of support, the web should become a better place quickly.
Less Flash, Less Javascript.... that's just what the internet needs. And MS seems to be moving in that direction as well...
Old 17th Mar 2010, 14:38   #18
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean007 View Post
I'm with you there. I'm a mouse gesture addict. FF 3.6 broke All-In-One Gestures and I am not happy!
All-in-One gestures is heavy on CPU/MEM usage, use Firegestures.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2010, 14:42   #19
Dark Matter
Supermodder

Dark Matter is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dark Matter is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dark Matter is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dark Matter is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dark Matter is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dark Matter is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dark Matter is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dark Matter is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dark Matter is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dark Matter is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dark Matter is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almightyrastus View Post
Now we just need 64bit flash for windows and we are all set..................

/*not holding breath*/

I agree

Dark Matter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2010, 17:13   #20
hexx
Multimodder

hexx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentAnat
So what if IE uses DX... it's not like IE has a massive market outside of the WIN world.
I, for one, am happy that they're pushing hard. IE6 < IE7 < IE8, and hopefully, < IE9

Javascript rendering is really not everything. Bigger than that is HTML5/CSS3 capabilities.
Lots of Javascript becomes obsolete with HTML5/CSS3. I'm no expert on the subject (i just toyed with basic CSS3), but there's a lot to be said about native HTML/CSS animations. Complete menus without touching Javascript, complex animation, 3D transformation.
IMHO, all the guys going on about sheer Javascript power are wang-waving.

Safari is CSS3 king ATM. If IE9 can compete with that, or even offer up to FF levels of support, the web should become a better place quickly.
Less Flash, Less Javascript.... that's just what the internet needs. And MS seems to be moving in that direction as well...
The day when we can all use css3 and html5 is far away and it won't replace javascript. I'd rather would like to see M*soft to fully support standards at first then they can improve performance. it's real pain in the a*** to work as a web developer, to tweak code just for IE, but since most of the users are using IE there's no other option. I'd be happy if MS simply brings IE to the same level of standards support as other browsers